IGNORED

Burson Soloist SL amp - Got one!

SimmoW

Ok, just a quick overview for anyone wondering about this most under-reviewed/previewed amp in the history of hifi!

I popped into the offices of addicted to audio in Kew East down here in Melbourne, they have a lovely collection of amps & dacs and headphones available for direct comparison.

Here's my PS500s getting ready to make lurve with the toys:

9FF8B440-EA05-4705-923B-471212D2E01F-1192-00000157BBC485AD.jpg

A very distracting view while waiting for the very patient Guillaume (apols if I misspelt!) to reconnect various DACs

CC6DD766-6F89-4E57-95FF-154C9423475C-1192-00000157A71D70BE.jpg

I managed to compare the Soloist SL & separate DA-160 DAC to the CONDUCTOR. Yes, for a relative audiophile N00B, I feel rather spoilt.

Surprisingly, contrary to my own & Guillaume's expectations, I found the first combo far superior to the conductor! Yep, an around $1400 combo (plus interconnects) sounded better to my ears than the fabled conductor. At similar volume levels, the sound stage and attack of the SL & Dac combo sounded way ahead to my ears. Emphasis on MY EARS, and MY headphones (only around 20 hrs burn in).

So in short, IMHO the SL is the bargain of the century. I've filmed an accompanying video to this overview to be edited on the weekend, but I actually filmed my comparing of the (kindly) loaned Graham Slee Solo Ultra Linear (around a thousand bucks AUD) to the $650 Burson. With my Grados, sorry, the Burson tore it to pieces.

Then the DAC. What a pain, as my decision forced me to select a separate DAC, rather than the appealing convenience of the all in one Conductor. The chore of it all :-)

We compared the DA-160 ($700ish) that I was already in love with, with a $1000 Violectric 200 amp. A very close call, I think I preferred the Burson again!

So Guillaume recommended I try the M1DAC from Musical Fidelity, while he & another chap were struggling to get the drivers working for another well reviewed and anticipated DAC, the hard to pronounce Schiit Gungnir, around $1400. Boy did they work hard to get that recognised on the laptop. Thanks guys!

Slam, the M1 really impressed, a leap above the more expensive Violectric. More defined, natural bass to my ears. A better soundstage. All the standard descriptions. I loved it.

So it was with great anticipation I waited for the Schiitty to be prepared. If the M1 was this good, imagine what that thing would be like! Almost twice the price.

Sadly, I couldn't pick much difference. I went back to the M1, then back to the Schiit, getting ready for Guillaume to hit me on the head for swapping too much. This final swap convinced me to go for the M1, the bass definition, air and imaging really did feel superior, to me anyway.

So that's it, I ended up with this amazing combo, I'm loving it already at home, before any serious burn in. In the end I'll be up for more money than with the Conductor, as I'll need to get a better power cord for the amp at least, but even so, I'm happier with the sound.

So, anyone considering the too good to be true Soloist SL, I highly recommend you give it a try, for headphones at least!

One final note - while waiting, G (again, kindly but with a twinkle in his eye), let me try the fabled Grado GS1000is. That was scary! But happily, I listened to my favourite tracks, and thought 'ho-hum', the intensity of sound, the 'reality' that I was used to with my PS500s, was NOT THERE. I was rather chuffed, those cans are a true bargain.

I hope this post helps my fellow headphone addicts, as well as Burson (go Aussies!!), Musical Fidelity and the Addicted to Audio crew. Go ahead, invade their offices!

Never has it been such a great time for audiophiles.

Simon

(and no, I have no affiliation with Addicted to Audio, I just think it's worth spreading the news when a store is so helpful and has pretty good prices too)

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

Grado PS500 headphones; Burson Soloist SL Amp; Musical Fidelity M1DAC;

iFi iUSB; Transparent MusicLink Plus interconnects; Wireworld Starlight USB;

Lessloss Audio DFPC Signature cable to PC; Foobar 2000; JPlay

Simon,

Nice write up and I hope you had a good time demo'ing all of the gear.

I have read that the Schiit does best in a fully balanced setup like with their own Mojlinar??? Did you happen to test it with a balanced head amp?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Fantastic post!! This is the way we used to do it in the stone age, and it was a large part of the fun. You're fortunate to have such a great dealer today - we were awash in them 40 years ago, but (as we've discussed ad nauseum on this and other boards) most are now gone.

That Soloist looks like a wonderful piece - enjoy it!

David

Simon,

I have read that the Schiit does best in a fully balanced setup like with their own Mojlinar??? Did you happen to test it with a balanced head amp?

Wish I had all day to try more combinations - I really could have spent all day!

I'd already fallen in love with the Soloist SL's dynamics, so we just searched for the best match with that. Also, for my desk setup, the Schiit was a bit big for my liking.

Listened briefly this morning, definitely enjoying the improved depth in image and live sound. And both units are so damn silent when no signal is being fed.

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

Wish I had all day to try more combinations - I really could have spent all day!

I'd already fallen in love with the Soloist SL's dynamics, so we just searched for the best match with that. Also, for my desk setup, the Schiit was a bit big for my liking.

Listened briefly this morning, definitely enjoying the improved depth in image and live sound. And both units are so damn silent when no signal is being fed.

I am happy you enjoy it. The Conductor made my shortlist in the end of head gear.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Nice looking setup- I think you've invented a new way to warm the equipment up!

Thanks, that's why I posted, so others who might not be able to audition can start to make choices. The Burson is stunning value. I'm really becoming a recording snob now too, so many of my formerly 'okay' CDs are immediately recognized as lifeless.

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

What a cute small amp! Which dac's you guys recommend to use with it?

If you don't have a Soloist already, check out the Burson Conductor. It is basically the Soloist with a DAC built in.

Conductor Headphone Amp / DAC / Pre Amp

Hi SimmoW

Thanks for the impression.

Did you get to compare the headphone amp section * alone * of the Conductor against the Solonist SL ?

There are some comments roaming around that the headamp section of the Conductor is superior than the DAC, I can't help wonder if that's the reason you prefer the Solonist SL + DA-160DAC to Conductor.

No I only compared to the complete combo. As the separate setup was far better, using a $1800 amp was a bit of overkill for my budget. I'd rather invest more of the 'saving' in future DAC upgrades or my next likely addition, an IFi iUSB or Audiophilleo 2.

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia