IGNORED

ALO International portable DAC/Amp with IPod digital out?

I'm a newbie (first post!), so pardon me if this has been asked or if I break blogtiquette...

Looking for a travel DAC/Amp for IPhone 5 and either headphones du jour (I have HD800, Polks, etymotics, and Ultimate Ears[and Stax, though I sure I won't travel with that behemoth). I prefer a transparent, analytical, precise sound, though something with plenty of low end oomph and high end openness and subtlety.

Was considering Fostex, but then saw the new ALO International portable DAC/Amp with digital out for iPhone/iPod.

Any experience with either of these would be appreciated, particularly comparison experience. Any other truly portable, battery-powered units that will input true digital from an iPhone?

Much appreciated!

Hmm.

Expecting precise sound and analytical requires several zeros on the price...not in the realms of portable, unless maybe a KORG MR2, or a Tascam recorder but it doesn't playback nice let alone to an iphone. So for portable, most if not all are compromised in SQ. Head-Fi is a good resource, they keep up with latest portable gear fairly closely.

True digital from an iphone is 96/24 max, ALAC WAV or AIFF, but a lot of portable DACS that work direct with iphone, cheat and use analogs.

This amp is new, but not quite on the shelves just yet : Sony PHA-1

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Hmm.

Expecting precise sound and analytical requires several zeros on the price...not in the realms of portable, unless maybe a KORG MR2, or a Tascam recorder but it doesn't playback nice let alone to an iphone. So for portable, most if not all are compromised in SQ. Head-Fi is a good resource, they keep up with latest portable gear fairly closely.

True digital from an iphone is 96/24 max, ALAC WAV or AIFF, but a lot of portable DACS that work direct with iphone, cheat and use analogs.

This amp is new, but not quite on the shelves just yet : Sony PHA-1

P

Thanks for the tip. Now available for a ridiculous $1500 on Amazon, but for its list price of $399 (plus international shipping) from Rakutan, the Japanese Amazon homolog.

I've ordered an Astell-Kern AK100, an ALO International, (DAC/Amp) as well as the Sony PHA-1. ALO is on back-order, but hope to report back how each of the different combinations using a variety of cans.

I can't speak directly of the new model but I have an ALO portable amplifier that I use with JH Audio 13's as a travel rig. I can tell you that every time I get on a long flight and listen to them, I get an evil grin because I'm amazed at how enjoyable music can sound in that situation. I feel like I have a secret nobody else on the plane knows. Admittedly not as good as home, but extraordinarily enjoyable given the surroundings. My largest complaint would be a wooly quality, could be more open, delicate and airy. The headphones and amplifier are better with equipment at home so the problem is the analog output of the iPod. The newer models with DAC from ALO should be an improvement.

I use all lossless files from a gen 5 ipod fitted with a 350gb drive. I'm not sure that drive is still available but you might be able to source one somewhere on the net.