IGNORED

First multi-channel DSD playback solution with Mytek!

I've got an preamp version. Is it Ok to add a Master Version to play multi channel, in fact three channel RCA? The Master Version will play Right and Left channel via an wyred4sound stp-se to control the volume, and the preamp version to an active speaker for the center channel.

The USB ASIO driver does not care whether its a preamp or mastering version; same USB, same outputs. But...what I documented above was that the USB driver will give the fronts (left and right) to the DAC with the oldest serial number, and then the center/LFE channels to the next newest DAC (and if a third DAC, it would be the newest s/n and get surround left/right).

The USB ASIO driver does not care whether its a preamp or mastering version; same USB, same outputs. But...what I documented above was that the USB driver will give the fronts (left and right) to the DAC with the oldest serial number, and then the center/LFE channels to the next newest DAC (and if a third DAC, it would be the newest s/n and get surround left/right).

I'm just curious, do you use word-clock or how the sample clocks are synchronized between units? IOW, which unit has the master clock?

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I helped David get his Myteks setup for stereo with stereo subs. With JRiver you have to use 4 channel output for use with two Myteks. I was assuming that channels 3 & 4 were the center/LFE channels, but actually channels 3 & 4 are the surround left and right channels when JRiver is in 4 channel mode. I'm looking forward to actually hearing his system in April.

I'm just curious, do you use word-clock or how the sample clocks are synchronized between units? IOW, which unit has the master clock?

The ASIO driver has a feature called USBMLink for multiple devices and handles the synchronization between devices. As you add Myteks they show up as device0, device1, etc. I assume it probably uses the first device as the master clock. Buffer and sample rate settings are synchronized to all devices.

Miska, it's handled by the ASIO driver (USBMLink) and likely DAC1.

I repeat what I first started this thread off with: three DACs, a USB hub, a knowledge of the serial numbers in order to cable the channels correctly, and a pre-beta release of J River (was 130, now using 138)...PERIOD!

I helped David get his Myteks setup for stereo with stereo subs. With JRiver you have to use 4 channel output for use with two Myteks. I was assuming that channels 3 & 4 were the center/LFE channels, but actually channels 3 & 4 are the surround left and right channels when JRiver is in 4 channel mode. I'm looking forward to actually hearing his system in April.

David is asking for help here, so it sounds like all is not done. Regardless, my setup and instructions are about multichannel, not stereo with split subs. If you use the correct J River and follow my directions you can do multichannel as I did. For a 3.0 or 3.1 setup, it would not mimic yours, Mojave, at least not well enough for John I don't think.

Miska, it's handled by the ASIO driver (USBMLink) and likely DAC1.

I repeat what I first started this thread off with: three DACs, a USB hub, a knowledge of the serial numbers in order to cable the channels correctly, and a pre-beta release of J River (was 130, now using 138)...PERIOD!

Doesn't sound like asynchronous USB then... I mean somehow they must use the same sample clock, otherwise the DACs will eventually drift out-of-phase. IOW, won't be in-sync at sample level. USB is not exactly good vehicle for clock distribution.

Ted,

Thanks for your explanation. As for the channel assignment, what makes it the way that the channel assignment is decided by the serial number, USBMLink, Mytek, or JRiver?

I'm wondering is it possible through some future update to make the channel assignment more flexible and could be manually set up case by case. Otherwise, I might have to ask my local dealer to sell me an older Master Version for the FR and FL channel playback....

Ted,

Thanks for your explanation. As for the channel assignment, what makes it the way that the channel assignment is decided by the serial number, USBMLink, Mytek, or JRiver?

I'm wondering is it possible through some future update to make the channel assignment more flexible and could be manually set up case by case. Otherwise, I might have to ask my local dealer to sell me an older Master Version for the FR and FL channel playback....

John, remember this is a prototype. The channel cop is in the ASIO driver, and this will be something that the user can manipulate (as you point out) once this is a done deal. Everything, right now, is just testing. For example, I am, this weekend, testing some new beta Mytek firmware and ASIO drivers, with wordclock synch cabling, for Mytek feedback. Trying to scrounge up a couple good 75 ohm RCA-to-BNC connectors I have around here, as only one of my digital spdifs have it.

By the way, if you bought a new Mytek, your current one would become the fronts in this example, of course.

By the way, if you bought a new Mytek, your current one would become the fronts in this example, of course.

Unless the player allows free channel assignments, like I do for ASIO outputs. So any of the source channels can be assigned to any output channel. This kind of functionality is typically needed in studio setups for audio interfaces with more than eight output channels.

The sonics have taken steps forward with these latest tests. Why? Well, as I explained (poorly) earlier the Mytek stack has been relying on ASIO and the fact that each DAC's clock is of the same make/model to stay within reasonable synch. With this weekends advent of new test firmware and new ASIO drivers we have stepped it up a few notches by also physically synching the clocks (set DAC1 as internal synch, and DACs 2 and 3 as word clock, use 2 inexpensive .5M BNC cables from wrd clock out of DAC1 into DAC2, and then out to DAC3). Miska will be happy. :)

The sonics are amazing right now, with a much tighter set of lower frequencies, and a crisp (but not brittle) and open top end. We need to work out some playback issues but all is good.

Ted,

One more big thank you for doing this!

U already have a proof of concept working!

Now with proper clocking and fine tuning is becoming a great DSD dream come true.

I am looking forward to your progress and the reaction from other manufacturers.

U are making a bit if history on mch DSD!

Cheers

Synology DS1815>Cisco Switch>CAPS Pipeline Win7/10 x64 > Foobar/AlbumPlayer/JRiver MC > ASIO > Dac: exaSound e28 > Speakers: Focal SM9 and Twins Be6 in 5.1 > HeadAmp: Woo WA22 > Cans: HD800 (Bal)/Focal Uthopia > Portable: Iphone X> Shure SE530PTH

Ted,

when playing dsd in dop mode, what is the clock frequence sent among the mytek 192s?

John,

First off, it's not DoP its direct DSD via ASIO. Second, there is no frequency setting, just internal synch or word clock. Third, the firmware that allows this (word clock in USB2) is unreleased so far.

John,

First off, it's not DoP its direct DSD via ASIO. Second, there is no frequency setting, just internal synch or word clock. Third, the firmware that allows this (word clock in USB2) is unreleased so far.

Ted,

You're definitely right. Should be ASIO not Dop....my bad...^^

And are you implying that I can look forward to the release of the the firmware to enable external word clock in USB2?

Ted,

You're definitely right. Should be ASIO not Dop....my bad...^^

And are you implying that I can look forward to the release of the the firmware to enable external word clock in USB2?

No, just a reminder that you need to ask for them (firmware AND driver needed); they're not released yet. But others have reported on the stereo thread that they got them by asking. I have no approval to forward you mine, however.

No, just a reminder that you need to ask for them (firmware AND driver needed); they're not released yet. But others have reported on the stereo thread that they got them by asking. I have no approval to forward you mine, however.

OK, thanks. When I got the mytek dacs ready, I'll ask Michal.

Is there any indication if mch DSD playback will be later available in the Mytek 8x192 DAC?

Timeframe?

It would be nice to have 5.1 and 2 spare channels for a dedicated headphone amp

Synology DS1815>Cisco Switch>CAPS Pipeline Win7/10 x64 > Foobar/AlbumPlayer/JRiver MC > ASIO > Dac: exaSound e28 > Speakers: Focal SM9 and Twins Be6 in 5.1 > HeadAmp: Woo WA22 > Cans: HD800 (Bal)/Focal Uthopia > Portable: Iphone X> Shure SE530PTH

What 5.1 DSD files did you choose to demo?

I provided them a boatload of ISOs and they played whatever was asked for. The demo tracks were things like Depeche Mode - Personal Jesus (Violator) , Keith Greeninger - Looking For a Home (ESE Collection), Pink Floyd (anything), Beck Sea Change.