IGNORED

The best speaker.... really

...Properly placed Maggies give me back the image sizes and soundstage size I hear at the recording sessions.

Wow Barry, I didn't know you used Maggies as monitors. I think it's a very rare choice, but then you always impress with your unconventional thinking. I had some planar speakers for a time (Apogee Stages) and I've heard Maggies in quite a few venues, but I'll take another look. Maggies are such musical beasts! Thanks.

I do not really find that to be true, but I do find that people (like my wife for instance) are used to "small" sounds and are sometimes a bit intimidated when a Cello does not sound like it is only 6" tall. ;)

Paul, I've heard that problem; I think* it's especially an issue with speakers having limited dynamics and/or a room acoustics issue, but perhaps my memory is fading*, I could have the same problem wrt with the large image perception I recalled that Barry referenced above.

I have acoustics problems now in my deep, narrow room: I need some absorption and diffusion on my side walls, will probably get some Tube Traps.

Re Maggies, I bought my brother a pair of MMGs when they first came out, he still misses them (S.A.F.). I'm trying to get my uncle in NYC to buy a pair.

Mac Mini 2012 with 2.3 GHz i5 CPU and 16GB RAM running newest OS10.9x and Signalyst HQ Player software (occasionally JRMC), ethernet to Cisco SG100-08 GigE switch, ethernet to SOtM SMS100 Miniserver in audio room, sending via short 1/2 meter AQ Cinnamon USB to Oppo 105D, feeding balanced outputs to 2x Bel Canto S300 amps which vertically biamp ATC SCM20SL speakers, 2x Velodyne DD12+ subs. Each side is mounted vertically on 3-tiered Sound Anchor ADJ2 stands: ATC (top), amp (middle), sub (bottom), Mogami, Koala, Nordost, Mosaic cables, split at the preamp outputs with splitters. All transducers are thoroughly and lovingly time aligned for the listening position.

I find something like the Tannoy/Kef/TAD dual concentrics a good compromise- you'll probably need a sub with these too, and I am not a bass freak either.

You certainly do not need a sub with the Tannoy Sterling SE's or any of their speakers with a 10" or larger deiver.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Everyone is on their own personal quest to find the "holy grail"

I’m trying to think scientifically on what precisely would make the best speaker in that space logically.

. . . .

Thoughts please.

Scientifically, the correct question would be:

What system gives you the most natural sound experience?

a) We need to think about the whole system and not just the speakers.

b) We need to move to the seat of the listener and listen.

c) The listening room must be part of the system.

Steinway Lyngdorf Model D is the best system available to my knowledge.

It has system approach, the patented RoomPerfect room correction, active setup with digital X-overs and digital amplification.

Experts from Steinway & Sons failed to hear the difference between playback and a real Steinway Grand Piano Model D!

They subsequently approved co-branding of Steinway Lyngdorf.

No expence has been spared.

Cost conscious but wholesome options:

- Meridian DSP8000

- Steinway Lyngdorf S-series

- Genelec 8260

- Lyngdorf Audio

While these systems may seem a little expensive at first glance, they really kick the crap out of traditional old school piles of mis matched boxes and passive X-over dinosaurs.

Don't take my word for it - go try it for your self!

Example:

Steinway Lyngdorf S-series

Stereo with dual subs

Digitally by-amped

RoomPerfect

TAS Test

USD 20.000,-

I have spent hours reviewing this system and it is fantastic value for money.

I would probably jump it if I wasn't knee deep in a Genelec 8260 based surround rig.

Try it!!!

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

No mention of Vandersteen's? I would put the model 7's right at the top with the other super speakers. They were awesome when I heard them the other night with Richard Vandersteen.He is on the left.

IMG_1189.jpgIMG_1186.jpg

Upgradeus Interruptus.....

PS Audio Directstream DSD DAC, PS Audio DirectStream Memory Player, PS Audio BHK Signature Pre, PS Audio BHK 300 Monos, Aurender A10, MacMini, Roon, Vandersteen Treo CT's, AudioQuest Diamond USB, AudioQuest CastleRock Speaker cables, AudioQuest MacKenzie interconnects.

I was surprised by the base in the small Pulsars, but, so far, I do not think the Perspectives add much base. Who knew.

The base of the Pulsar is small, as would be expected for a speaker of that size. Now, when it comes to bass reproduction, that's another thing! :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

As someone else stated here a while ago, I often come home from a live performance & find my system sounds better than the 'real' thing. This includes the gamut from symphonic halls to small jazz clubs.

The environment seems to always have the greatest effect.

The so-called 'absolute sound' as a reference is, IMO, still a live performance of unamplified instruments in a room or hall with good acoustics in terms of timbre, tonality, and accuracy. as well as rhythm and pace. Whether one is located in the front rows, middle rows or further back, relates more to perspective or spatial characteristics. Depending on one's room, these latter characteristics may be more difficult to reproduce in a home system.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Pete:

Have you heard, or do you have any info on, the new TDAI-2170 ? It seems like it is Lyngdorf's answer to the NAD C390DD.

(Sorry to go off-topic, but it is for the greater good.)

Bill

Sorry no, I only have access to the info available online.

I would expect TDAI-2170 to be at the usual Lyngdorf level and thus way out of reach of NAD C390DD.

For one, the crude level alignment in the NAD is no match for RoomPerfect with it's calibrated mike and 3D sound correction.

Expect a pricetag to match!

Buy this if you have fallen in love with your current boxy speakers and just want the best(-ish) for them.

Otherwise take the entry level Steinway Lyngdorf Model-S for a spin.

It will blow your knickers off at a mere USD 20.000.

And that's for the whole system!

Otherwise take the entry level Steinway Lyngdorf Model-S for a spin.

It will blow your knickers off at a mere USD 20.000.

And that's for the whole system!

I spent less on my Toyota Camry.

Who on earth needs a car?

Cars are becoming a third world phenomena ;-)

Ever been to America, especially California? (Not too far from a third world phenomenon, especially if you look at income disparity, but I digress.)

I hate cars. I would prefer to bike everywhere. For years, I managed with one, but ironically, moving into a more rural area required us to get a second one, as the bus service is extremely limited and I have to get to work before 8 am.

Hi Sam,

Wow Barry, I didn't know you used Maggies as monitors. I think it's a very rare choice, but then you always impress with your unconventional thinking. I had some planar speakers for a time (Apogee Stages) and I've heard Maggies in quite a few venues, but I'll take another look. Maggies are such musical beasts! Thanks...

studio.jpg

They are indeed a rare choice, but I've always used audiophile type speakers as monitors, simply because they are better at getting out of the way than the types of speakers typically found in studios. I find this particularly true of well set up Maggies. (Those last two sentences might be a monumental understatement. I've written about this a lot in the past several entries of the Soundkeeper Blog.) Even back at Atlantic, I was using Dahlquist DQ-10s, then DQ-20s as monitors. In my own studio, it has been Maggies from the start -- first 1.5s, then 3.6s and now 3.7s.

I have also designed studios for others or consulted on their monitoring and in every instance, have recommended Maggies, so there are several record-making rooms around nowadays, which I'm proud to say are using Magnepans for monitors. What I find so unique about them is their uncanny ability to sound, not like "very good speakers" (or even like "excellent speakers") but like Music itself -- something much more easily experienced than communicated with words.

As studio monitors for mastering, they tell me immediately and unambiguously if I'm going in the correct direction or not. And they still drop my jaw every time I come back from a recording session, start a playback and they bring me right back to that room, at the position of my microphone array. To me, this is so many Universes apart from merely sounding "very good" (or even "great"), I have no idea how to describe it. There are many speakers that sound "very good" or "great" and I can see why their owners would like them. It just isn't something I find nearly as useful or nearly as enjoyable (or nearly as rare) as speakers that let the recording speak for itself.

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

The Soundkeeper | Audio, Music, Recording, Playback

Barry Diament Audio

I hate cars. I would prefer to bike everywhere. For years, I managed with one, but ironically, moving into a more rural area required us to get a second one, as the bus service is extremely limited and I have to get to work before 8 am.

How does a second bike help you to get to work by 8 am?

How does a second bike help you to get to work by 8 am?

Bike 10 min to the bus -> Bus 20 min to Town -> (2nd)Bike 10 min to Work.

Or something along those lines ;-)

And Yes, I've been to the US at least 15 times.

I'm so sorry for your loss!

Buy this if you have fallen in love with your current boxy speakers and just want the best(-ish) for them.

Is there a really any significant advantage to having the amp (and D/A conversion) inside the speaker box? Given the miles of wire inside, I can't really believe omitting speaker cabling would really be that advantageous, especially when you consider that some design compromises would have to be made to house the amps in the speakers.

It is funny that I can spend $5K on bikes without a single regret, but would agonize spending $5K on audio equipment.

Could it because with bikes you are concerned with revolutions, which are easily measured, whereas with audio it's about resolution which is not so easy to quantify?

It is funny that I can spend $5K on bikes without a single regret, but would agonize spending $5K on audio equipment.

Both should put a great grin on your face and be well worth the expense.

My best bike trip was from Brisbane to Sydney on back roads and through bush fires and stuff.

A great way to spend 2 months :-)

The sound of the bush will stay with you for life.

Oh, and the stench of roadkill in the heat as well :-/

PS. The sound of the bush was very high resolution.

My CD's of the same are but a sunny shadow.

Maybe toilet paper is third world too?

DigiP.

Try going to COSTCO for a pallet of Toilet Paper on a bike.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

You need to get out more or look outside of your little country. Maybe you can ride your bicycle every where you go, but in other parts of the world, it just doesn't work. Denmark looks to be about 16.5 K square miles as compared to US which is 3.8 million square miles. I can't can't see pulling a boat, or going to the hardware store on a bike, much less taking the family on a vacation which would exist in a distance which is outside of your countries sq. miles.

The Truth Is Out There

Both should put a great grin on your face and be well worth the expense.

My best bike trip was from Brisbane to Sydney on back roads and through bush fires and stuff.

A great way to spend 2 months :-)

The sound of the bush will stay with you for life.

Oh, and the stench of roadkill in the heat as well :-/

PS. The sound of the bush was very high resolution.

My CD's of the same are but a sunny shadow.

Now just try riding your bike 100km a day 5 days a week to get to work and back, then let me know if you will feel like riding your bike on the weekend.

Chord CPM-2600 - integrated amplifier - Chord One - cd player - Acoustat 1+1 - speakers.

Life without Acoustat is possible BUT senseless

DigiPete, very interested in your impressions of the S-Series.

Did the system do as good a job in your experience handling room issues as suggested by the TAS review?

Yes, yes, yes.

I had to re-read the article to make sure I agree with everything they claim.

To the best of my abilities - Yes, it's that good.

I'll take you for a SL-S spin at the local dealers and throw in a DigiPete Surround Spectacular on top if any of you come visit me here in Copenhagen.

Be warned, boxy sound will be ruined for life!