IGNORED

iTunes Streaming via powerline networking and airport express

G'day CA

Just wondering if anyone has successfully used a powerline network (power adaptors such as Belkin AV500) to connect a Mac mini using iTunes to an airport express (wired via power adaptor) in order to stream iTunes audio?

Cheers Charles

Rega Brio-R, Calyx Coffee, Monitor Audio, MacMini Server (intel) 2011

Yes, I stream to two zones this way, my workshop system and my backyard system. The yard uses in ceiling speakers under an overhang.....very basic with coverage being the priority while the workshop has an excellent pair of my own DIY speakers......which sound great streaming.

Great Stuff, thanks Mayhem.

I am hoping that I can just plug an ethernet cable into each power line adapter and airport express (and my mac mini running iTunes) just recognises that is needs to stream over wired ethernet.

Am I dreaming or is it just that simple?

Cheers Charles

Rega Brio-R, Calyx Coffee, Monitor Audio, MacMini Server (intel) 2011

For me,it was just that simple......and unless your house wiring is poor, should be the same for you as well.

My solar panels use this protocol to transmit data. If I also used it to stream music or control light bulbs etc, would that corrupt the data, or is it smart enough to keep everything separate?

It it's all designed for LAN, then it should work flawlessly. If you have older tech like X-10 control, their might be some problems but all in all, the latest power line adapters are excellent, exceeding wifi speeds by significant amount. I stream 1080p BD rips to my ATV without buffering all the time.

• 1 month later...

Hi, yes, I use power line device to stream from my office upstairs to an apple tv downstairs in the front room. Works perfectly, much better than wi fi which resulted in drop outs.

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.