IGNORED

Great Jazz Bass Players - Their "Must Have" Recordings

12 hours ago, joelha said:

Really nice of you, Nikhil.

I should have checked myself.

Having said that . . . wow, that is expensive.

Thanks a lot.

Joel

Hi Joel,

Just waking up this Sunday morning.

Nikhil answered your question.  I know about some music crazy prices, but is our fault.  Web sellers are watching us :)

Roch

Dave Holland: Extensions (Quartet), Pathways (Octet) (really, pretty much every album of his is worthwhile to have)

Ron Carter: Dear Miles

Christian McBride: Kind of Brown

And some artists that I haven't seen listed yet:

Meshell Ndegeocello: Dance of the Infidel (Matt Garrison shares bass duties), The World Has Made Me the Man of My Dreams (not strictly jazz but what a musical vision here!)

Linda Oh: Entry, Initial Here

Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell: Radioaxiom

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

31 minutes ago, watercourse said:

Meshell Ndegeocello

31 minutes ago, watercourse said:

Jah Wobble and Bill Laswell

Not bass virtuosos sensu stricto but it's good to see their names mentioned here  +1!

As for

32 minutes ago, watercourse said:

(Matt Garrison

I recommend checking out this album (IMO one of the most interesting ones in 2016)

1e0c24e3.jpg

BTW has this one been mentioned? All three of them know quite well how to play electric bass..

82xsmv-cd.jpg

Sorry, strike Bill Laswell, although he is a bass virtuoso sensu stricto, just not a jazz bass virtuoso.

Got carried away with bass mega-influencers, especially seeing James Jamerson in the mix, and lost track of the original topic. I'm also a lumper, not a splitter these days.

Meshell's albums that I listed above, I do consider jazz, and she did hail from a jazz family. Check 'em out and see if you don't agree. However, her chops are universally appreciated from pop to funk to soul to indie rock as well these days. But she's got at least 3 jazz albums in her stable.

Thundercat anyone? I really like both Apocalypse albums, but if push comes to shove, I'd pick "Apocalypse" over "The Golden Age of Apocalypse". Yes, jazz in my opinion. But poorly recorded, which could offend some audiophile ears, so be forewarned.

Late 2012 Mac Mini > Audirvana+3 > iFi Zen Stream > Heimdall 2 USB >  iFi iDSD Micro BL > Pass Labs INT-30A > DeVore The Nines! + REL Strata III

Well-Tempered Amadeus Benz ACE SL > Pass Labs XOno

"Water is the most critical resource issue of our lifetime and our children's lifetime. The health of our waters is the principal measure of how we live on the land." - Luna Leopold

• 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 2/1/2015 at 1:15 AM, PAP said:

Just finished listening to my most recent purchase; Impromptu with Tony Overwater and Bert van den Brink.

Overwater has a gorgeous sound on his bass, reminiscent of the late Charlie Haden. The opening track is worth the whole album it is maybe the best recorded bass sound in my collection.   https://www.soundliaison.com

tony-bert-200v5.jpg

Ok, forgot about this one. Indeed very very well recorded.

I do hear quite a bit of a Dave Holland influence as well.

But Tony is his own man.

Bert van den Brink‘s introduction and Tony Overwater‘ melody on ‘My Foolish Heart‘ is my favorite track: https://www.soundliaison.com

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/21/2013 at 10:58 AM, Musicophile said:

Charlie Haden:

Copying this contribution from Richard Dale from the Piano thread:

---

While you are mentioning Charlie Haden, I think his bass playing goes great with a pianist as a duo. His two albums with Hank Jones are great piano records:

3659d1358727262t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51cyrpojfxl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

3660d1358727290t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51ws5gq6gpl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

And also Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett's Jasmine album:

3661d1358727305t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51ay5jnltml._ss500_.jpg

---

Confirming the above and adding from my side:

Nocturne: Extremely relaxed latin jazz, perfect for a warm summer night:

Nocturne.jpg

Beyond the Missouri Sky - With Pat Metheny

Beyond The Missouri Sky (short stories).png

And: Sophisticated Ladies - with Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, Cassandra Wilson. Also available as hires download.

Sophisticated Ladies.png

I am in agreement down the line with these suggestions.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
On 2/1/2015 at 1:15 AM, PAP said:

Just finished listening to my most recent purchase; Impromptu with Tony Overwater and Bert van den Brink.

Overwater has a gorgeous sound on his bass, reminiscent of the late Charlie Haden. The opening track is worth the whole album it is maybe the best recorded bass sound in my collection.

tony-bert-200v5.jpg

On 2/2/2015 at 3:46 AM, elcorso said:

+1

Great recommendation!

Many thanks, Roch

On 2/3/2015 at 7:31 PM, oso said:

+ 2  My Foolish Heart is my favorite.

The interplay is astonishing on the whole album and the instruments are so very present.

I'd say this is an instant audiophile classic.

The album is 50% off this weekend at  www.soundliaison.com

• 1 month later...

Practically all the Sound Liaison albums features a superbly well recorded double bass. Maybe it has to do with them letting the bass be able to breath, leaving it free in the room without baffles, as you can see here in the new Carmen Gomes video featuring bassist Peter Bjórnild;

• 9 months later...

spacer.png

New album from Tony Overwater. Highly recommended and superbly well recorded by Sound Liaison.

''The emotional density with which Tony Overwater and Japanese pianist Atzko Kohashi deal with John Coltrane's compositions reveals how they have internalized the spirituality of his music.
- Stereo.de (Germany)''