IGNORED

Great Jazz Bass Players - Their "Must Have" Recordings

Well a bass player I urge all to have a listen to is Renaud Garcia Fons.

He goes way beyond the 'standards', in a style all of his own.

He is often referred to as "the Paganini of Double Bass", and for very good reason.

Sometimes you would be forgiven for thinking he had a whole orchestra backing him rather than just his double-bass. Highly recommended !

Oriental Bass

MI0000849999.jpg

The Marcevol Concert

41PJkx0RgAL._SX425_.jpg

ER / Geisman OXCO / Grimm MU1  / Dutch & Dutch 8C / Townshend Seismic Isolation

HP - SMSL Sanskrit 10th A’ , Woo Audio WA5 LE, Hifiman HEK v2

• 4 weeks later...
Bill Ron Paul. Just love it! XLD redbook CD to AIFF

Enjoying the music,

Richard

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3741[/ATTACH]

Assume you know that's an EP of extras and out-takes from the sessions that produced this:

frisell.jpg

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

• 1 year later...
Just finished listening to my most recent purchase; Impromptu with Tony Overwater and Bert van den Brink.

Overwater has a gorgeous sound on his bass, reminiscent of the late Charlie Haden. The opening track is worth the whole album it is maybe the best recorded bass sound in my collection.

Impromptu.jpg

+1

Great recommendation!

Many thanks,

Roch

+ 2

My Foolish Heart is my favorite.

The interplay is astonishing on the whole album and the instruments are so very present.

I'd say this is an instant audiophile classic.

One more with Tony Overwater but from Turtle Records'

MI0002088075.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

The Spirit of Turtle

• 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...
71s-MY8P-sL._SY355_.jpg

Thanks for the memory alert. Haven't played it in years and had forgotten what a tight crew he put together. Kenny Burrell, Art Taylor and Hank Jones.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5161[/ATTACH]

To throw in electric bass, also an art in itself :)

I agree with the idea. Not only because I'm the owner of his signature series bass guitar :)

His very good and not so popular live double album (beware SQ isn't on par with his studio albums)

MI0000386726.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Also a very good DVD concert.

max1189080127-front-cover.jpg

what are the best CDs, etc. of Mingus's Ah Um?
You'll find something here. (crown and core collection mean even more essential than 4 stars albums)

Penguin Guide to Jazz Recordings, Ninth Edition 2008, Four Star CD's [Page 8] - Rate Your Music

I recommend buying the book anyway (the 2008 edition doesn't include many fusion albums that were included in the earlier ones).

It's been my personal jazz bible for years.

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, elcorso said:

I own both albums and love them.

The Red Mitchell, unkown to me until now, is just fabulous.  I don't regret the heavy money I paid (plus shipping & my country heavy taxes).

Thanks,

Roch 

Roch,

Glad you liked them.  They are tremendous albums.

I would also recommend almost anything by Isao Suzuki and for that matter Tsuyoshi Yamamoto as well.

130261650377.jpg

imxlp6022-45-4.jpg

R-8027414-1455544580-7828.jpeg.jpg

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

33 minutes ago, joelha said:

Hey Roch,

Thanks for the comments.

Bass Club is only available on vinyl?

If you were able to find it on cd, where did you go to get it?

Joel

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0002B591M/ref=tmm_acd_used_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=used&qid=&sr=

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

Having said that . . . wow, that is expensive

Yes.  Even I was a little surprised at the rates.

Probably a reflection of the quality of the album though.