IGNORED

Great Jazz Bass Players - Their "Must Have" Recordings

Thanks Richard :-)

My problem with that fabulous Mingus medley vanished once I upgraded Audirvana Plus (old 1.4.6 to NEWER 1.4.6!)

To ve OT once more... Installing a new fuse today was a revelation - breaking my fuse cherry with one from Synergy Hifi. Worth much more than the $35 it cost me.

But to return to the topic, I would throw Sam Anning into the mix. Brilliant young jazz bassist.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Thanks Richard :-)

My problem with that fabulous Mingus medley vanished once I upgraded Audirvana Plus (old 1.4.6 to NEWER 1.4.6!)

To ve OT once more... Installing a new fuse today was a revelation - breaking my fuse cherry with one from Synergy Hifi. Worth much more than the $35 it cost me.

But to return to the topic, I would throw Sam Anning into the mix. Brilliant young jazz bassist.

You're welcome. So is the introduction to me of Sam Anning, whose name I am not familiar with but, as always, am happy to learn of yet another musician of interest.

And I might also add that a recent purchase of Michel Petrucciani & Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen, Petrucciani NHØP, is extraordinary. Pedersen is transcendent on bass. I mention this CD at the Album of The Evening thread, so pardon my duplication here.

Enjoy the music,

Richard

Michel Petrucciani NHØP.jpg

That album is worth owning for the cover alone :-). I'll have to check Petrucciani out.

I play tennis with Sam Anning's dad. Seeing Sam play with his dad and brother was awesome - especially his work on 'Love Is' - a recording of which remains a reference for bass. Sam lives in NYC and see that he's got a few releases I haven't heard (like one with George Coleman Jr).

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

Some great players listed in this thread so far.

I'd like to add a new (to me) player I first heard several years ago and have since had the very good fortune to record on two different albums (one as a guest and more recently, as a leader).

Paul Beaudry impressed me from the start with his ideas, intonation, timing and non-stop stamina.

(I also give kudos to Paul for being bolder than many in allowing me to record the real sound of his bass, with no electronic reinforcement.)

sr004-300.jpg

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

Some great players listed in this thread so far.

I'd like to add a new (to me) player I first heard several years ago and have since had the very good fortune to record on two different albums (one as a guest and more recently, as a leader).

Paul Beaudry impressed me from the start with his ideas, intonation, timing and non-stop stamina.

(I also give kudos to Paul for being bolder than many in allowing me to record the real sound of his bass, with no electronic reinforcement.)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]5211[/ATTACH]

Best regards,

Barry

Soundkeeper Recordings

Barry Diament Audio

There's never a surfeit of musicians with marvelous musicality and technique.

As I own this Sound Keeper recording along with others, I concur with Barry's assessment of bassaficity.

Enjoying the music,

Richard

• 1 year later...

Already a member of the forum, I arrived at this thread because I'm looking for a download source for the first Super Bass album. I've tried 4 copies and my MacBook rejected all of them! I already have a copy of SB 2, which I highly recommend. I learned of it when the local jazz station played Papa was a Rolling Stone. So if anyone knows a reliable download source for #1, I'd be grateful if they could post it.

Plus, I have a few suggestions: the 1st great jazz bassists were Walter Page (Basie) and Jimmy Blanton (Ellington). Page is best heard on any of the small group recordings made with players drawn from the Basie band, often w/Basie on piano but not listed as the leader. A number of those with Lester Young as leader feature Page. Look for "Pagin' the Devil."

Page pretty much invented the walking bass, but Jimmy Blanton really pushed it out before he died from TB at 24 in 1942. But not before Ellington recorded a series of duets with him. These are stunning. It took years before anyone could play like him.

Among the next generation, Oscar Pettiford released an album called "My Little Cello," which also features his bass work.

One odd and one solid mainstream addition to the Mingus recommendations: Jazz at Massey Hall, 1953 live recording (Bird, Dizzy, Bud Powell, Max Roach, Mingus) was released on Debut, a label owned by Mingus. When he listened to the recording after the concert, he wasn't happy with his playing & the way he was recorded on some tunes, so he overdubbed his lines. His Atlantic recordings, especially "Blues & Roots" are well worth checking out. Musically it's among his best & the sonics aren't bad at all.

Finally, Dave Holland has recorded 2 solo albums, "Emerald Tears" and "One's All." Both on ECM with terrific sonics. Back when I had a big stereo (Acoustat speakers & Audio Research electronics) I used them as a reference for bass transient response and coherent sound from the open string fundamentals to the upper harmonics. And even as a solo recording, they helped with speaker placement. It was as though he was standing just behind the leading edge of the speakers and you could clearly hear the back & side walls.

Plus, ECM has released more from the Keith Jarrett-Charlie Haden "Jasmine" sessions as "Last Dance."

I'm glad someone mentioned the Jamerson book/CDs. I learned about them from a composer who'd studied with Nadia Boulanger. He was that good.

MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz Core i5 > G-Tech 3TB > Audirvana+ > Meridian Explorer > AudioQuest BigSur > Audio Research SP-6c > Belden 8402 Decware SE84UFO > WE16GA > Omega AlNiCo monitor

I don't want to repeat what's already been written, but I love Jaco Pastorius, so

Jaco - his first "solo" album

also plays great on:

Heavy Weather - Weather Report

Hejira - Joni Mitchell

Eberhard Weber - Yellow Fields

Paul Chambers - Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Gary Karr - though he does mostly classical.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

or To a Brother, my personal favorite;albumcoverNielsHenningOrstedPedersen-ToABrother.jpg?1234404208

This track is dedicated to Johannes, the eldest brother of Niels-Henning Ørsted Pedersen, who died earlier that year. NHØP's composition is a theme in 6/8 consisting of quietly moving figures with an interesting bassline, the song beautiful in its simplicity. NHØP carries the melody with a sparse accompaniment by Swedish guitarist Ulf Wakenius and drummer Adam Nussbaum, after which Wakenius takes over with a great solo that builds in dynamics and intensity. He is succeeded by NHØP, whose own solo is just as fine, an emotional statement blending singable phrases and virtuosic runs. Throughout, Nussbaum is highly attentive, making this track - and the entire album - a complete pleasure
  • 1 month later...

Mark Johnson 2x4.

Highly recommended!

4750428.jpg

This series of duets featuring bassist Marc Johnson with different guests could be considered a tribute to Bill Evans, because it includes such a number of songs associated with the late pianist (though only one is an Evans composition); Johnson served with distinction as the bassist in Evans' last trio. Harmonica player extraordinaire Toots Thielemans joins Johnson for a beautifully strutting take of "Killer Joe," afollowed by an amazingly soft and subtle take of Alex North's "Spartacus Love Theme," a favorite of Evans that Johnson never got the opportunity to play with him. Also very effective is the very slow arrangement of "Goodbye Porkpie Hat." Vibraphonist Gary Burton also appears on three tracks, with a dreamy take of the melancholy "Gary's Theme" and gorgeous version of Evans' "Time Remembered" meriting special attention. Pianist Makoto Ozone also appears on three duets, proving to be an inspired choice as well. Johnson was extremely satisfied with the pianist's playing of the leader's rather challenging "Miss Teri," Ozone is also up to the rapid-fire, uptempo post-bop of Herbie Hancock's "One Finger Snap." Singer Lucy Crane is probably unfamiliar to jazz fans, as this was her major label debut (she's the widow of Fred Crane, an early teacher and mentor of Johnson's); she provides spirited vocals on both "Beautiful Love" and "Ain't Misbehavin'." One of the better releases to come out in 1989, this now unfortunately deleted CD is well worth an intense search. ~ Ken Dryden

Love this thread. Time to fire up Tidal! I've always enjoyed Cameron Brown's work with Sheila Jordan.

image.jpg

CAPS v2 with SOTM USB powered by Red Wine Lightning. Stello U3 usb -> spdif converter, Bel Canto 3.5 LNS, Ayre K-5xe mp preamplifier, Conrad Johnson Classic 60 power amp, Harbeth c7es3, Acoustic Zen cables

RBLA_Moonshine_fr.jpg

A must have. Beautifully recorded.

Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not." — Nelson Pass

• 2 months later...

Red Mitchell has to be worth a mention, for this stunning album:

jh2.jpg

jh1.jpg

As does Arild Anderson, especially the tune "Saturday" on this album (there's a fantastic 15-minute live version of his quintet with Marcin Wasilewski and others playing this on on YouTube):

folder.jpg

iMac late 2009 8GB > Buffalo LinkStation LS-GL > APC H10 > ARCAM P90 > Totem Acoustic Sttaf | Sonos |FLAC

Just finished listening to my most recent purchase; Impromptu with Tony Overwater and Bert van den Brink.

Overwater has a gorgeous sound on his bass, reminiscent of the late Charlie Haden. The opening track is worth the whole album it is maybe the best recorded bass sound in my collection.

tony-bert-200v5.jpg

Just finished listening to my most recent purchase; Impromptu with Tony Overwater and Bert van den Brink.

Overwater has a gorgeous sound on his bass, reminiscent of the late Charlie Haden. The opening track is worth the whole album it is maybe the best recorded bass sound in my collection.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16693[/ATTACH]

+1

Great recommendation!

Many thanks,

Roch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16693[/ATTACH]

+ 2

My Foolish Heart is my favorite.

The interplay is astonishing on the whole album and the instruments are so very present.

I'd say this is an instant audiophile classic.