IGNORED

Great Jazz Bass Players - Their "Must Have" Recordings

rosapassosroncarter.jpg

Rosa Passos & Ron Carter: Entre Amigos

The Brazilian singer is paired with veteran bassist Ron Carter, who provides a solid melodic foundation for her throughout the date. While the focus is clearly on the soft, effective vocals of Passos, who is extremely effective in her interpretations of bossa nova classics such as "Insensatez", "Desafinado", "Caminhos Cruzados" and "O Grande Amor", Carter's solos are also subtly swinging. Not satisfied with sticking exclusively to a well known repertoire, Passos is a superb interpreter of less familiar songs like Jobim's "Por Causa de Voce", a duet with Carter, whose playing is phenomenal on this track.

I have the SACD and the SQ is very good.

Also available on HDtracks as 44.1kHz/16bit and 96kHz/24bit.

SOURCES| Lindemann 825, Lindemann 820S ● MacBook Pro 2010 ◊ Audirvana Plus ● Acoustic Signature Storm ◊ SME IV ◊ Sumiko Blackbird

AMPS| Lindemann 830, Lindemann 858 ● Graham Slee Revelation

SPEAKERS| KEF Reference 205

SUB| REL Gibraltar G1

POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER| Nordost Thor

CABLING| Nordost: Valhalla XLR, Valhalla Speaker Cable + Valhalla Jumpers, Vishnu & Shiva ● Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB Cable Split Configuration ● Furutech: Lineflux XLR, Silver Arrows ● Oyaide Tunami GPX-R, Tunami GPX ● Klotz XLR to RCA

Ray Brown Trio: Live At The LOA Hybrid SACD. I concur.

Ray Brown Trio Live At The LOA Summer Wind hyb sacd.jpg

Ray Brown Monty Alexander Russell Malone

Ray Brown Trio Ray Brown : Monty Alexander : Russell Malone [Special Edition].jpg

Ray Brown et al. Happy Coat K2 100/24

Ray Brown Happy Coat.jpg

Paul Chambers: Kind Of Blue

Miles Davis Kind Of Blue K2HDCD.jpg

Scott LaFaro: The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961

Bill Evans Complete Village Vanguard Recordings 1961.jpg

The rest to follow.

Enjoying the best of the what the best makes them so special

Richard

Charlie Haden:

Copying this contribution from Richard Dale from the Piano thread:

---

While you are mentioning Charlie Haden, I think his bass playing goes great with a pianist as a duo. His two albums with Hank Jones are great piano records:

3659d1358727262t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51cyrpojfxl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

3660d1358727290t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51ws5gq6gpl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

And also Charlie Haden and Keith Jarrett's Jasmine album:

3661d1358727305t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51ay5jnltml._ss500_.jpg

---

Confirming the above and adding from my side:

Nocturne: Extremely relaxed latin jazz, perfect for a warm summer night:

Nocturne.jpg

Beyond the Missouri Sky - With Pat Metheny

Beyond The Missouri Sky (short stories).png

And: Sophisticated Ladies - with Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, Cassandra Wilson. Also available as hires download.

Sophisticated Ladies.png

Charlie Haden:

---

While you are mentioning Charlie Haden, I think his bass playing goes great with a pianist as a duo. His two albums with Hank Jones are great piano records:

3659d1358727262t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51cyrpojfxl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

3660d1358727290t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51ws5gq6gpl._sl500_aa300_.jpg

3661d1358727305t-great-jazz-piano-artists-their-%93must-have%94-recordings-51ay5jnltml._ss500_.jpg

---

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3697[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3698[/ATTACH]

And: Sophisticated Ladies - with Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Melody Gardot, Cassandra Wilson. Also available as hires download.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3699[/ATTACH]

I'll see your recommendations (some already in my library) and raise you:

Also covered elsewhere but must be included in this thread

Charlie Haden & Kenny Barron: Night & The City [Live]

Charlie Haden and Kenny Barrons.jpg

Charlie Haden: The Private Collection (2Disc)

Charlie Haden The Private Collection.jpg

Charlie Haden, Chris Anderson: None But The Lonely Heart

Charlie Haden & Chris Anderson None But The Lonely.jpg

There's more, but when do we get to Mingus?

Enjoying the music and the exchanges,

Richard

Boy am I glad I get to list this one before anyone else.

Super Bass 2 with Ray Brown, Christian McBride, and John Clayton not only includes great bass playing, but is just a lot of fun. It's also available as an SACD.

If you love bass playing, this one is a must.

Enjoy.

Joel

Amazon.com: Super Bass 2: Ray Brown, Christian McBride, John Clayton: Music

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3703[/ATTACH]

I'd love to get this. Any idea if it is available for download anywhere?

Charlie Haden:

---

---

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3697[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3698[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3699[/ATTACH]

I would be a +1 on these having all but Nocturne.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
... Boy am I glad I get to list this one before anyone else.

Super Bass 2 with Ray Brown, Christian McBride, and John Clayton ...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3703[/ATTACH]

Sounds like fun. (Just snagged me a used CD version on Amazon for $4.)

Peachtree Audio DAC-iT, Dynaco Stereo 70 Amp w/ Curcio triode cascode conversion, MCM Systems .7 Monitors

Jamerson.jpg

James Jamerson, the reason a generation of us learned to dance. (Just try to imagine Marvin Gaye's version of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine" without that signature bass line.) As this book and the accompanying CDs make clear, he was a player rooted in jazz, with chops to equal anyone until Pastorius arrived to change the way the instrument was played.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Probably the greatest bass player ever!

Voted bass player of the year by Down Beat - three times.

Oscar Peterson Trio member 1973 - 1986.

Niels-Henning treated the bass as a solo instrument.

Wanting to move his fingers faster, he invented a new system of finger movements.

Despite his modesty, he was a true king and role model for younger bass players around the world!

A modest album in his spirit and close to my heart:

NHØP.jpeg

The Eternal Traveller

Moments like these:

RIP

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Probably the greatest bass player ever!

Voted bass player of the year by Down Beat - three times.

Oscar Peterson Trio member 1973 - 1986.

Niels-Henning treated the bass as a solo instrument.

Wanting to move his fingers faster, he invented a new system of finger movements.

Despite his modesty, he was a true king and role model for younger bass players around the world!

A modest album in his spirit and close to my heart:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3731[/ATTACH]

The Eternal Traveller

Moments like these:

RIP

Agree. There's also this wonderful duo with Philippe Catherine:

Spanish Nights.jpg

mj1a.jpg

Marc Johnson: Bass Desires

mj2s.jpg

Marc Johnson's Bass Desires: Second Sight

SOURCES| Lindemann 825, Lindemann 820S ● MacBook Pro 2010 ◊ Audirvana Plus ● Acoustic Signature Storm ◊ SME IV ◊ Sumiko Blackbird

AMPS| Lindemann 830, Lindemann 858 ● Graham Slee Revelation

SPEAKERS| KEF Reference 205

SUB| REL Gibraltar G1

POWER DISTRIBUTION CENTER| Nordost Thor

CABLING| Nordost: Valhalla XLR, Valhalla Speaker Cable + Valhalla Jumpers, Vishnu & Shiva ● Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB Cable Split Configuration ● Furutech: Lineflux XLR, Silver Arrows ● Oyaide Tunami GPX-R, Tunami GPX ● Klotz XLR to RCA

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Charles Mingus so far, so I have to do this. Maybe most of his recordings don't stand for audiophile listening, but there are a few exciting CDs with outstanding sound quality - and, of course, the music is always of the highest quality.

For a first example, look for this one :

61eqYW9rPqL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Charles Mingus so far, so I have to do this. Maybe most of his recordings don't stand for audiophile listening, but there are a few exciting CDs with outstanding sound quality - and, of course, the music is always of the highest quality.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3755[/ATTACH]

Well, I just mentioned Money Jungle in the Piano thread, could have easily posted it here as well.

My favorite ones are Changes 1&2:

Charles Mingus 1974 Changes One .jpg

charles_mingus_changes_two.jpg

And Mingus at Carnegie Hall:

Mingus_at_Carnegie_Hall.jpg

Not particularly audiophile I agree, but great Music.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]3755[/ATTACH]

Guilty as charged.

I like this one:

Mingus.jpg

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Anything with Jaco; from the early Pat Metheny to Weather Report to the Joni Mitchell stuff he played on. Had good fortune as a freshman in college to be asked by a group of Dead head upperclassmen to join them to hear some jam band...Weather Report on their tour to support their new recording Heavy Weather. In a bar between Boston in NYC, sat on the floor in front of the bass amp. Had played in bands with pro bass players (guys who could do Yes, Zep, and bebop...) and was blown away by Jaco. Took electric bass to a new level.

Christian Mc Bride's debut: Gettin' to it.

Branford M's Trio Jeepy has outstanding bass work: Branford is joined by his long-time drummer Jeff 'Tain' Watts, 'the Judge' Milt Hinton on bass (who "not only represents tradition," to paraphrase producer Delfeayo Marsalis, "this great man is tradition!"); and on three tracks, regular bassist Delbert Felix. Great recording as well.

Tone with Soul

• 2 months later...

'The Black Saint..' is one of my favourite albums. On the 192kHz HDTracks version, I was disappointed that the trumpet sounded bright. I imagine this has more to do with my system than the recording, but would be keen to know if anyone else had a similar experience.

Ella & Louis

Another of my most beloved recordings is Ella and Louis (1956). On the HDTracks version, the voices sound stunning, but the rest of the band remains a little too buried in the mix, me thinks. (Oscar Peterson is certainly one of my favourite jazz pianists.).

I do love the way the piano fills the soundstage and pours into the room on Keith Jarrett's 'Kohn' concert. Diana Krall's recordings always sound immaculate (to my humble ears).

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos

... My bad... The bleedin' obvious was lost on me!! Excuse my last suggestions off topic.... Imbecile.

TF cards - USB  -> GentooPlayer in RAM on Rpi4b, Ian’s PurePi II, FIFO Q7, HDMI-pro  -> Audio GD R-27 -> S.A.T. Infinity monoblocks -> Gallo Stradas + TR-3 sub / Erzetich Phobos