IGNORED

Love my Grados

Just thought I'd share my recent experience. Bought a pair of SR325is quite a few months ago, and paired them with a Grant Fidelity DAC11, with their upgraded huge fat mains cable. Connected to my pcs USB.

They were good from day 1, ok the phones are a bit painful after awhile of listening, but no pain, no gain!

I've been letting the cans and amp play continuously, but only intermittently when I pop out or am not using them. Not much of a burn in, maybe 30 hrs or so.

Anyway, today was a revelation. Suddenly I've noticed a considerable improvement, all the stuff we hear about. A much improved but still small soundstage. Incredible, tight and airy bass. Gorgeous trebles. Instruments sound like they are being played next to you. I found myself totally addicted, spending a good 4hrs trying all my favourites. Everything sounds so 'real', natural. The musical nature is stunning. Yes they are very forensic, every finger movement on guitar strings revealed, but that's what I love.

What most impressed me was a great Vanguard Studios CD compilation of Joan Baez tracks. I was almost brought to tears by some of her early recordings, so pure is her voice and guitar playing. Hell, the best recordings were dated 1965! 48 year old analog recordings pushing gorgeous sounds into my ears. Incredible stuff. Some of the bass/sub-bass is hyper realistic, you can FEEL the air vibrating.

Then I heard an awful song, 'can't touch this' by MC Hammer! But straight away, I was floored by his voice, deep and resonant, airy and breathing. Almost sounds like he had a cold! I'd never noticed his voice before, and certainly never FELT it. Now I was.

I never believed all the hype about burn in, now I'm a true believer!

Now I'm seriously addicted to listening and thinking of all the ways to slowly upgrade. Might test a Graham Slee HP amp, hearing great stories about them. I know I'll eventually end up getting an RS1 or even GS 1000, but in a way I'll enjoy the anticipation of a slow upgrade path. I'm already in heaven, so it's scary what I could be hearing in a yr or so.

I've read so many differing opinions about Grados. Well I've just written another one. I love em and will stay with them for as long as I feel these emotions I felt today.

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

Grado PS500 headphones; Burson Soloist SL Amp; Musical Fidelity M1DAC;

iFi iUSB; Transparent MusicLink Plus interconnects; Wireworld Starlight USB;

Lessloss Audio DFPC Signature cable to PC; Foobar 2000; JPlay

It reads like part of your epiphany is about discovering the enjoyment of great sound quality in general..., but yes I agree those 325i's sound terrific with a good DAC/Amp. In the headphone world, many brands have a distinct sound signature noticeable across all of their products. I personally find the 'Grado sound' wonderfully involving as well.

It reads like part of your epiphany is about discovering the enjoyment of great sound quality in general..., but yes I agree those 325i's sound terrific with a good DAC/Amp. In the headphone world, many brands have a distinct sound signature noticeable across all of their products. I personally find the 'Grado sound' wonderfully involving as well.

I've always loved good quality sound, had a $999 Rotel CD Player, their AV amplifier and some great (admittedly cinema-oriented) Miller & Kreisel speakers, and paid $200 for some Sennheiser headphones back in '85 as a student, meant heaps to me then!

But I've never heard the purity I'm hearing now. Good times.

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

• 2 weeks later...

Reading this thread made me plug in the 325is and give Abbey Road a listen. I just realized I haven't listened to a single 24bit Beatles through the headphones since I bought the Beatles USB several months ago. Love the Grado sound!

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

• 3 weeks later...

Update, loved these so much I upgraded to the PS500s.

too early to report differences thoroughly,though I'm already noticing some. Definitely brighter highs. Lets just say I haven't swapped back since day 1, that tells you something.

im buying the Jplay software, significant improvement noticed in soundstage and reality of instruments

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

• 2 weeks later...

I also love my Grados! I found that it took about 60 or more hours to break in my 325's but they are truly gorgeous now. I progressed

up the line, and personally think that you have the best value in the PS500s. Through my Smack headphone amp they are heavenly, unfortunately Bottlehead had to discontinue them but says they will possibly re-appear. Enjoy!

That's good to hear! Yes, I was lucky enough to try some GS1000is recently, compared directly against my PS500s. Absolutely no competition, mine kicked their butt. A slightly better open soundstage, but the cost was the loss of that lovely close, 'get your plectrum out of my ear' feel of the 500s!

Simmo W

Melbourne, Australia

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I saw this thread and smiled. Yes, I am owner of SR80i and SR325is and now Beyers T90s. As you guys, I like the sound of Grado, airy, lovely with good PRaT, but what I don't like or at least may be an issue after long hour listening is the convenience of the ear cushions - it is not at issue when let say listening to one album, but after some time it became more serious - especially I thing when using cushions like on 325s. GS1k type of cushions I can imagine may be more convenient, but I don't have them.

Changing the ear cushions on 325s it changing the sound as well unfortunately making it more distant etc., but that's understandable. Enjoy Grado!

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

• 2 weeks later...

Same here. I love grado's so much. By far they achieve the best detail I've ever heard. Detail is what I look for in audio. Listening to my Mannheim Steamroller collection I can hear even the key presses on the piano. I've got the SR80i's as well wishing I could upgrade to the more expensive cans. It's always the first headphones I would recommend.

Same here. I love grado's so much. By far they achieve the best detail I've ever heard. Detail is what I look for in audio. Listening to my Mannheim Steamroller collection I can hear even the key presses on the piano. I've got the SR80i's as well wishing I could upgrade to the more expensive cans. It's always the first headphones I would recommend.

I'm going to sell my new-condition Grado PS1000e to fund some other things.