Greetings all,

I need help finding a DAC with digital bypass. I have an Anthem AVM50v and I want to use that pre-pro to continue to decode all multichannel digital sources. However, for Zones2 and Zone3, I need an analog signal or I cannot send audio to those zones unless I copy the MAIN zone to Zone2 or Zone3. That's fine in most instances, but sometimes, I want to play a different source in Zone 1 (MAIN) and a different source in Zone 2 or Zone 3.

The only way I can do that is to have an analog signal to feed the Anthem. My biggest problem is currently my AppleTV and my iTunes Media server. Neither have analog outs. (for my iTunes server, which is 50 feet away, I'm using the V-LINK USB to S/PDIF converter.

I'm looking for an inexpensive DAC that will have digital bypass so that I can get the analog out from that source to support Zone2 or Zone3 but at the same time, it will continue to send the original digital signal to the pre-pro in case I want to decode multichannel audio that comes from movies and multichannel music, etc.

The only unit that I'm currently aware of with this capability is the DAC Magic Plus from Cambridge Audio, but it's $600. I was looking to spend less than half that amount.

Any thoughts or suggestions?? I haven't been able to find any other options.

Thanks,

Theo

I have a similar issue with my Marantz AV7701. I have my digital sources hooked up to the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC via USB and Toslink and to the AV7701 via HDMI. The DAC is connected to the AV7701 as one of its analog inputs that can then be chosen for zones 2 and 3. Not exactly an answer to your question, but it solves the problem.

The only way I can do that is to have an analog signal to feed the Anthem. My biggest problem is currently my AppleTV and my iTunes Media server. Neither have analog outs. (for my iTunes server, which is 50 feet away, I'm using the V-LINK USB to S/PDIF converter.

For the AppleTV: HDMI to Anthem; TOSLink to DAC.

For the V-Link: TOSLink to Anthem; Co-ax to DAC (or vice versa).

Alternatively if you are willing to go for second hand, see if you can get hold of the original DACMagic. I can think of other DACs which have a digital output but they would be as expensive as the DACMagic Plus you mentioned.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

For the AppleTV: HDMI to Anthem; TOSLink to DAC.

For the V-Link: TOSLink to Anthem; Co-ax to DAC (or vice versa).

Alternatively if you are willing to go for second hand, see if you can get hold of the original DACMagic. I can think of other DACs which have a digital output but they would be as expensive as the DACMagic Plus you mentioned.

Eloise

Greetings Eloise,

Thanks for that suggestion and I'd certainly use it; however the Toslink is currently feeding a second multichannel setup. So I have the HDMI going to the Anthem and Toslink going to a Marantz. Unfortunately, I don't have any available digital signal ports. That's the problem with most of my devices as I'm splitting between the two. As I've mapped it out, the only thing that makes sense is a DAC with passthrough. Otherwise, I'm getting into using a Toslink splitter and then another DAC, etc. It just overly-complicates the setup and keeps adding more and more power adapters to the mix.

Theo

I think I found a suggestion for you anyway - Matrix Mini-I DAC. 2x coax; TOSLink plus AES inputs, remote controlable and SPDIF output via co-ax. Reasonably good sound quality according to all (well most) reports.

How does that sound?

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I think I found a suggestion for you anyway - Matrix Mini-I DAC. 2x coax; TOSLink plus AES inputs, remote controlable and SPDIF output via co-ax. Reasonably good sound quality according to all (well most) reports.

How does that sound?

Eloise

It's for Zone2 and Zone3 operation, so audiophile standards not strictly needed. I see that it coverts everything to S/PDIF. Now I have to see if I have a free S/PDIF port on the Marantz receiver. If I do, that may do the trick. So you understand the setup, I've taken all the HDMI feeds from AppleTV, Roku, Oppo, CableTV, and (believe it or not) Panasonic VHS/DVD player with up sampling HDMI output. As far as the Anthem goes, I have digital ports galore; but the Marantz is an older, pre HDMI unit configured to power a 4.1 system. So any device that has the HDMI going to the Anthem has either Toslink or S/PDIF (whichever it has) going to the Marantz. The Marantz is limited with its digital inputs.

Side note, what I really like about your suggestion of the Matrix is the balanced analog outputs in addition to the balanced RCA. I'm running balanced cabling everywhere I can and this would be a nice fit. I'll check on the rear of my Marantz and report back.

I've never heard of Matrix before so this was a huge potential help!! It's amazing not being able to find this feature using Google and just goes to show how good forums still are to add that human element of knowledge.

Thanks!

Theo

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings all,

I may have found exactly the solution I've been looking for; I'm looking for your feedback. I came across a 1 x 1 HDMI Audio Converter by Octava here: 1x1 HDMI Audio Converter. Extract audio from HDMI to Optical Toslink. Full 1080P resolution.

In this case, I could take the HDMI of the AppleTV and split the audio out into both analog and HDMI out. The HDMI out would continue to the Anthem for processing and DAC duties and the analog out would then go into the Anthem analog inputs to feed zones 2 and zones 3 for audio.

The price seems to be right as well at $169!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Theo

I found out that this unit will not down-mix multichannel to stereo. So it must be a 2-channel PCM signal for it to work.

If that's ultimately the case, I can just go with a monoprice 4x2 matric switch for about $60 that has analog out. However, there are some reported issues with the analog out in the product reviews.

Greetings all,

I may have found exactly the solution I've been looking for; I'm looking for your feedback. I came across a 1 x 1 HDMI Audio Converter by Octava here: 1x1 HDMI Audio Converter. Extract audio from HDMI to Optical Toslink. Full 1080P resolution.

In this case, I could take the HDMI of the AppleTV and split the audio out into both analog and HDMI out. The HDMI out would continue to the Anthem for processing and DAC duties and the analog out would then go into the Anthem analog inputs to feed zones 2 and zones 3 for audio.

The price seems to be right as well at $169!

Any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Theo