IGNORED

Linux for Audiophiles

juliocat

Then what would be the lightest but most user-friendly OS on which I could run Squeezelite?

Possibly the easiest solution would be the method favoured by phofmann and miska of using a minimal Debian netinstall (see post 101 in this thread).

I'm familiar with Voyage Linux, so I would probably use that. It's a bit painful to install but runs on minimum hardware. Package management is working normally.

Arch Linux is a very minimalistic distribution, but I never tried it myself.

Minimum installations have limited user friendliness, they are command line only. The smallest distro with GUI I have ever seen is Damn Small Linux. It's also Debian based, package management can be restored.

Primary ::= Nabla music server | Mutec MC-3+USB w/ Temex LPFRS-01 RB clock | WLM Gamma Reference DAC; Secondary ::= Nabla music server | WaveIO | PrismSound Lyra

iago,

I appreciate the post. However, having read post #101, it doesn't look like the solution is an easy one. It appears a lot of education would be involved.

Perhaps put yet another way, it would be great if something like Daphile were available as an open program so, small and easy to use as it is, it could be modified to meet individuals' needs.

Joel

Vortexbox is also a player. The current Vortexbox software (v2.3) includes Squeezelite, and can serve as a player connected directly to a USB dac.

You said it right: VB includes Squeezelite as the player. But VB by itself is a server platform that allows you to use SL to play from the same box. :)

Windows 8 + Squeezelite + JPlay >> (into async USB of Gold Note)?

Lubuntu + low latency drivers (if necessary) + Squeezelite >> (into async USB of Gold Note)?

Squeezebox Duet (which is essentially a super lightweight dedicated Linux OS) >> (into SPDIF of Gold Note)?

I can comment on moving from a Squeezebox, in my case a Touch that was hacked to use the USB as output into a Wavelength Brick, to a Squeezelite implementation. Running on a minimal Fedora kernel and an ARM5 micro motherboard, Squeezelite 1.5 sounds vastly superior to the SBT plus it supports any file format or high resolution file I choose to throw at it. I am very happy I made the upgrade.

iago,

I appreciate the post. However, having read post #101, it doesn't look like the solution is an easy one. It appears a lot of education would be involved.

Perhaps put yet another way, it would be great if something like Daphile were available as an open program so, small and easy to use as it is, it could be modified to meet individuals' needs.

Joel

If you'd like a plug and play solution, check out the SOtM 100. It is a small Linux/Squeezelite based player that you simply plug in. And it has a lot of other capabilities should you choose to move away from LMS.

Think Bryston BDP-1 or 2.

Single audio player (only) launches on power on/wake up. No other apps. Audio player is managed by iPad/iPhone over wifi. Audio server connected to wifi via ethernet. (I'd love it if JRiver was ported to Linux.)

JRiver Media Center was ported to Linux. Early builds were available last September. More here:

JRiver Media Center 19 for Linux

And the Linux version is the basis for our new hardware device:

JRiver Id -- High Quality Audio Hardware

Jim Hillegass / JRiver Media Center / jriver.com

• 5 months later...
That is by far the most complicated = expensive part. Everyone has different HW, requirements, expectations. OSS is about customization, flexibility, freedom, not about absolute simplicity for anyone. Sorry to say that but it is how OSS works.

I am not a Linux expert, very far from it, that's why I found this supposed easy "Audiophile Linux" much more complicated to install than a low latency system+Deadbeef that Krisbee has described. But I may be dumm !

• 1 year later...

I arrived to this old thread because I was looking an alternative to AP-Linux. I want to reply to all those people that writed about audiophile linux like it is the final solution to all.

I understand the good of AP-Linux: very simple "install", very few setup needed and let's the music play!

But I also crashed over very poor to absent support! Me, like others asked on how to update the current release (3.1 based on Arch Linux), nobody reply. I found the solution after reading a lot of Arch Linux forum.

I have a M2Tech Evo, AP-Linux doesn't recognize it. I open a thread to ask help on how to install the driver, there is more life in a desert! Nobody reply!

So, a standard linux distribution IS less "already cooked", but there is a ton of people the would help me. That is the reason why I'm going to install Lubuntu and try to install MPD.

I'm not sure that I'll not have problems, but I think that is more important how you'll resolve them, and with AP-Linux I'm sure I'll not have a chance to resolve it/them.

I can recommend ubuntu studio and hqplayer, jriver, audacious on a normal pc...or raspberry 3 withe rune if you are looking for easy and good sounding solution...have both systems and works perfect...

Ubuntu Studio 64bit/HQplayer/Concero hd/Altmann BYOB/Philips AD12202 OB

I can recommend ubuntu studio and hqplayer, jriver, audacious on a normal pc...or raspberry 3 withe rune if you are looking for easy and good sounding solution...have both systems and works perfect...

Thanks for the suggestion!

At first I was worried about Rune Audio because on their home page said that is under Arch Linux, the same distribution of AP-Linux where my HiFace Evo is not recognized, but I gave it a try and my dac is found without a problems :)

The interface of Rune Audio is quite the same of Volumio (https://volumio.org/), I'll test it but I don't like the way it use the queue:

I could add a file or a folder, but I can't find a way to start the reproduction of a album from a song that is not the first.

Tomorrow I'll try other distros...

First of all, I can't help you with anything to do with Linux but I can give you encouragement. My son set up an Intel NUC for me running a small footprint version of ArchLinux and mpd. This unit is dedicated as my music player with my music files on a NAS. I use MPad on my iPad as the music client. The set up is very straightforward if you know something about Linux, and there should be plenty of help/info out there if needed. It works flawlessly and sounds great. If you don't want to deal with Linux, I would suggest looking into the Auralic Aries, more money but everything is ready to go out of the box. Good luck, playing music should not be this frustrating for you. I hope that you find a solution that works for you.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

First thing, thank to all.

I'm not afraid of linux. Not very often, but I'm accustomed to ubuntu/debian distribution. But AP-Linux isn't a standard Arch Linux installation, it is a little "locked" (sorry for the term, but I'm not English and is the first that I have in mind).

I'll try Daphile too!

First thing, thank to all.

I'm not afraid of linux. Not very often, but I'm accustomed to ubuntu/debian distribution. But AP-Linux isn't a standard Arch Linux installation, it is a little "locked" (sorry for the term, but I'm not English and is the first that I have in mind).

I'll try Daphile too!

And don't forget to try the Vortexbox distribution as well. Very easy, very mature, and targets for Audiophiles.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

If you install rune...you will get minimal linux os and mpd fully configured...if you want you can use any mpd client on your remote device...mpad if that is your preference.

I am very pleased with this very cheap solution...should not sound that good...but it does!

Ubuntu Studio 64bit/HQplayer/Concero hd/Altmann BYOB/Philips AD12202 OB

• 1 month later...

I have tried the daphile that is very good and stable but no sacd iso support. Also I Like Jriver on Ubuntu Studio that is better than regular ubu. Studio is also hqp compatible\recommended solution . Audiphile linux is problematic because I could not run jriver on that. try and test the alternatives.