IGNORED

Linux for Audiophiles

juliocat

Nice vision, it is important to know where you want to head.

There is nothing preventing you to accomplish your dream. MPD Music Player Daemon Community Wiki is the preferred headless player. There are countless MPD clients available - look at that web site.

As for headless linux installation, IMO it is easier to learn than the constantly changing and broken/WIP linux graphical desktop where you can get stuck with issues irrelevant to your long-term plan.

You will have to learn to use the ssh, basics of linux command line (bash), some command line editor. There are numerous good books available, I find them more useful than multiple online tutorials.

I would start with an old regular x86 machine with monitor, install debian stable netinstall (very bare installation) and learn how to add the missing pieces for the headless MPD server using network file storage and PCI or USB soundcard. Once you get a bit proficient with the command line approach and the common CLI tools, you can start playing with some non-x86 distributions for embedded linux. Or you can stay in x86 world to make your life easier if you can find hw you like and want to pay the extra money for the x86 comfort. Debian will serve you well for most of your needs, except for some real embedded devices where e.g. openwrt would be more appropriate.

In fact, I have a similar plan. When I finish my current project I obliged myself to, I would like to build an MPD network player/internet radio using http://wiki.openwrt.org/toh/seagate/goflexnet (37 EUR on ebay) and a cheap chinese android wifi tablet for control (around 50 USD). No SSD for system since the seagate has enough flash memory available on board. But I for sure will not produce a ready-made no-brainer solution :)

Hey JJJ

Im running a dh61ag too.

To start with you should pick a distro as the base. I personal favor is debian, although someone likes archlinux.

I would try to run the rig in a headless mode, that has less stuffs competing for irq.

If you want to do that you'd better make sure you are comfortable with command line interfaces.

Also I highly recommend HQplayer which has a network adapter mode.

I'm in search of a good linux setup too.

My goal is to find something dedicate to replay, no GUI and lightweight(size and sys requirements)

Lots to learn. I guess my question is whether given my mobo and chipset (Intel Pentium G860 3.00GHz (Sandybridge) Socket LGA1155 Processor) whether it is worth heading down the Linux route or using a stripped down version of Windows 7 (on which I can be advised by my head of IT)....

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

It is really up to you. IMO if you want to produce a single purpose device, it is much easier to build from bottom up by adding components (packages) to bare debian netinstall, than the trial and error of stripping down the full-blown windows install. I very much doubt there is anyone outside Microsoft who really knows what can and cannot be removed and how.

• 2 months later...

This is a really good thread! I have to admit to wondering which sounds best, but mine is based on listening using LMS (Logitech Media Server) as the stage for streaming the music from so... with that in mind - what sounds best from the following line up:

I use a good quality USB DAC (Gold Note DAC-7)... so would it be...?

Windows 8 + Squeezelite + JPlay >> (into async USB of Gold Note)?

Lubuntu + low latency drivers (if necessary) + Squeezelite >> (into async USB of Gold Note)?

Squeezebox Duet (which is essentially a super lightweight dedicated Linux OS) >> (into SPDIF of Gold Note)?

Or something else?

I am looking for the very best SQ based on forum users experience. I know that JPlay is gaining ground but the thought of putting together a super computer in order to get the most out of JPlay is not gonna be good for my wallet.

• 6 months later...

Hello, I am using a Mytek Stereo 192 DAC and (for playback) my Mac Book Pro and a pretty old HP-Laptop (Pentium M) with MPD interchangeably. I'ld prefer using only Linux for playback, since I need the Mac Book for my work and I could use my old HP-Laptop exclusively for this purpose (avoiding the need for plugging in a firewire cable between my Mac Book and the Mytek DAC whenever I want to listen so some music …). Moreover, with this setup, I can still use my Mac Book (running Theremin) or my iPhone (with the MPoD App) for controlling the music that MPD is playing wirelessly.

However, I'm having some difficulties with playing back certain high-resolution formats (FLAC, DSD, etc.) via MPD on the HP-Laptop. Currently, I have Fedora 19 installed there.

I already started a discussion on this topic in the AP-Linux Forum: Topic: mpd-dsd | AudioPhile Linux

The moderator (Mlerota) recommended to install AP-Linux (instead of Fedora) on the HP-Laptop to solve these problems.

But I don't want to fully uninstall Fedora. Thus, my question is:

Can I install AP-Linux on an external hard disc? (leaving the Fedora installation on the internal hard drive bootable and untouched) What are the hardware requirements for running AP-Linux (will it work on my old HP-Laptop?)

Linefader,

Firstly I should say I don't have a Mytek Stereo 192 DAC and have no experience of playing DSD files using MPD. But this thread implies DSD support ( of some type – via the dsdiff plugin) has existed since MPD version 17.2

Voyage Linux - mpd.conf and DSD files

And for DSD over USB ( DoP v1) you just needed to add “dsd_usb yes” to your mpd.comf file, e.g:

audio_output {
       type            "alsa"
       name            "MyPlayer"
       device          "hw:0,0"
       dsd_usb         "yes"
}

According to RMP bone, Fedora 19 has MPD version 0.17.3, whereas the latest is 0.18.4. Type “/usr/bin/mpd –version” on the CLI to get feedback on what your version of MPD supports.

Vortexbox uses fedora and this thread discusses the playback of DSD files:

DSD on Vortexbox - VortexBox user forum

According to comments made here the Mytek Stereo 192 DAC may only work via firewire, or SPDIF output that supports bit perfect playback of 176.4K content. The latter would be coax SPDIF, and unlikely to be toslink.

I guess this is why you were trying to get the MPD version here to work for DSD over USB: Install guide for MPD with DSD support

As was said elsewhere, unless you have the correct dependencies installed on Fedora, the version of MPD-DSD you compile will not have the correct support. After you compile it, “mpd –version” should show what is missing. You should be using yum to search for libraries you need. E.g the development version of libflac is called libflac-devel-xxxx, so a “yum search libflac” should show the devel version to install. You would need to read https://github.com/lintweaker/mpd-dsd/blob/master/INSTALL carefully to find which additional development packages would need to be installed on Fedora 19. .

But is this necessary? The latest version of MPD might include Jurgen Kramer's patches. You'd have to search/ask on Voyage-linux Info Page

As to your question about AP-Linux. It's just Debian Mint with a few extras. So if the standard mint installer allows an external HD to be picked as a destination for the install, then yes it should work. But you'd have to think where and how you wanted GRUB2 to work. For example, install GRUB2 on the external HD partition, and not the external MBR would allow to use Fedora's Grub2 to boot ap-linux. Or install GRUB2 in the external HD MBR if your laptop's BIOS is happy to boot from an external HD.

PS Rather than ap-linux, what about the latest version of VoyageMPd. Did you see this comment:

I have just moved my alix 2d2 to voyage mpd 0.9rc2, with snd-usb-mytek installed. I have also enabled dsd_usb and dsdiff_native in mpd.conf. But after running mpc update, the database does not contain my dff files at all. Have I missed anything?

Appreciate your help and enlightenment. Thanks

falcongate

See page 19 of http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/new-linux-os-aimed-computer-audiophiles-voyage-mpd-5505/

Chris

Dear Krisbee,

thanks a lot for your reply. After some extensive configuration sessions, my good old Fedora laptop now plays DSD DoP (and other high-resolution sources like FLAC) over my Mytek DAC using MPD (controllable from any MPD-client, including my iPhone)

Here's what I did to get it to work:

1. I installed Jürgen Kramers modified ALSA driver and the latest Firmware updates for the Mytek according to http://github.com/lintweaker/mytekusb2#mytekusb2
  2. I downloaded the latest mpd-dsd (Version 0.18.4, as you suggested) from the Git repository
  3. I installed and configured RPM Fusion
  4. I installed the rpmdevtools (via yum) by running the command:
    su -c 'yum install rpmdevtools yum-utils'
  5. I downloaded a source-RPM of MPD by executing:
    wget mpd-0.17.3-3.fc19.src.rpm
  6. I installed all the missing packages (libFLAC, libsamplerate, ..) for the required audio support as follows: su -c 'yum-builddep mpd-0.17.3-3.fc19.src.rpm' (a bit easier than searching for every single package via 'yum search' as you suggested. Thanks to Jürgen Kramer for this hint!)
  7. Now I could build and install mpd-dsd-018 with the following configuration: ./configure --prefix=/usr --exec-prefix=/usr --enable-pipe-output --enable-sqlite --disable-mpc
  8. Finally, I disabled Pulse-Audio and enables DSD DoP in mpd.conf by setting:
    audio_output {
    type "alsa"
    name "DAC hw:1,0"
    use_mmap "yes"
    dsd_usb "yes"
    device "hw:1,0"
    mixer_type "none"
    } (almost what you suggested, but my device number is different and the mixer_type "none" is required since the Mytek does not support an external mixer)

So, the operating system support is now there and I don't need Voyage or AP-Linux but I can continue using Fedora 19.

However, I am still facing audio quality problems:

When I play high-res FLAC (above 96kHz), there are frequent noises (pops and cracks) in the background.

When I play DSD DoP, there are occasional dropouts of the music.

This only happens on the Fedora laptop, not with the Mac Book - thus, my source data, cables, amp, dac etc. must be okay.

Audio dropouts are not Mytek/Fedora-specifc but a well-known problem with any USB-connected sound card (just google "usb dropout"). So I decided to walk through to as many toubleshooting guides as I can find and see if I can solve these problems as well.

Unfortunately, I didn't have enough time yet to experiment a lot, but here is the list of things I am planning to do next weekend:

1. disconnect all other devices that are connected via USB to my laptop, such that only the Mytek uses the USB
  2. plug a 2000mA-powered USB hub in between the laptop and the Mytek
  3. increase the process priority of the music player (e.g. via "nice -n 10 mpd" on the command line) to keep it save from being interrupted by screen savers and the like
  4. play with the buffering options (e.g. by putting period_size=50000 into mpd.conf - maybe someone has some more ideas here? What are good values for the audio_buffer_size and the buffer_before_play parameter?)
  5. run some diognosys tools to check if there are DPC Spikes (if I find them: shouldn't the above two solutions solve this issue?)
  6. run 'dmesg | less' to check whether there are enlightening log messages during the dropouts
  7. upgrade the RAM of the laptop by plugging in new DDRs (the laptop has only 512 MB, but any DSF/DFF/FLAC file I tried should fit completely in there)

Do you have more ideas, what I could try?

I will post this problems to the VortexBox, AP-Linux and Voyage-Forums as well.

Maybe there's somebody who already knows a solution.

best regards

Linefader

• 1 month later...

I just recently tried AP-Linux and I do prefer it to both Lubuntu & Ubuntu. Why is there so much forum related hatred for this software? My only complaint is that I cannot figure out how to run it headless without just using a program like VNC to remote into it. If there was a remote app for my phone or Ipad, this may be my solution.

I just recently tried AP-Linux and I do prefer it to both Lubuntu & Ubuntu. Why is there so much forum related hatred for this software? My only complaint is that I cannot figure out how to run it headless without just using a program like VNC to remote into it. If there was a remote app for my phone or Ipad, this may be my solution.

You prefer AP-Linux because it sounds better to you, or because it looks better or is easier to use? Without knowing how you configured Lubuntu or what software you were running on it, I won't comment on your preference.

Hatred is too strong a word. But, yes there are many who dislike AP-Linux because they believe it promotes a false picture of using Linux for audio playback, added to that the AP-LInux website contains info which is either wrong or misleading.

If you wish to control your Linux based audio player from a phone or tablet and not use ssh/vnc, then you probably need to use something other than AP-Linux. The audio software running on your Linux PC needs to operate in server/client mode with the audio server on the PC and the audio client on your phone/tablet. Three popular examples of audio software the works like this are:

MPD - Music player Daemon used with clients like Mpad & Mpod

LMS - Logitech Media Sever with Local Player Plugin (squeezelite) and remote control clients like ipeng and orange squeeze

miniDLNA - An audio server that works with any DLNA/UPnP client

These plainly do not fit with AP-Linux insistence that you must use an RT kernel combined with Jackd for best audio SQ.

Have a look at VoayageMPD, Vortexbox and Daphile if you don't wont to install and configure a standard Linux distro.

Right now, my perference would be for a minmal Debian server style install with no desktop that uses LMS + squeezelite and pure ALSA (no pulse audio). Audio playaback can be controlled remotley via the in-built LMS web-browser interface, or by clients on phones/tablets.

Chris

I preferred the sound of AP Linux. I did nothing to configure Lubuntu, it was a straight install. Is there a published list somewhere of what needs to be done to configure it for audio?

So far my findings have been as such: AP Linux w/VLC>OSX w/Amarra>Win2012>Win7-64 w/Fidelizer 4.0 These have all been straight out of the box configs. There have been other OS and programs tried as well but I find them equivalent to one of the previously listed entries. I tried and did not like Jplay at all. All of my Windows setups have been tested with both VLC and JRMC. At this point if JRMC gets a full published version out for Linux then that will be my plan as I prefer it's visual interface and remote to all other programs.

Oh and I should add that I have had a PC running Vortexbox for nearly 3 years now as my NAS. I also have a Pogoplug with MPD on it. I tried an early implementation of VAMP and did not like it. I still believe that a full PC can better the Pogoplug/MPD sound but many of these trials have not proved that to be true. I just cannot stand the interface for LMS. I love the Vortexbox software for ripping and it's NAS functions but the use of LMS for serving music leaves a lot to be desired. The remote via Ipad/Iphone is nowhere near as easy to use as JRemote either.

I preferred the sound of AP Linux. I did nothing to configure Lubuntu, it was a straight install. Is there a published list somewhere of what needs to be done to configure it for audio?

There's little to do in Lubuntu, see my earlier posts in this thread about installing a low-latency kernel and installing and configuring deadbeef, for example, for bit-perfect palyback.

So far my findings have been as such: AP Linux w/VLC>OSX w/Amarra>Win2012>Win7-64 w/Fidelizer 4.0 These have all been straight out of the box config ... .

Did you setup VLC with the vlc-plugin-jack?

If you had been following the AP-Linux instructions, which are peppered with "must do this .." amd "must do that ...", you would have setup jackd and deadbeef, or audacious, for audio playback and not VLC which I think AP-Linux would regard as "big player" and "They are not basic music players and they use various databases and services that are resource demanding. And we don’t want that in our Linux box." Playing audio | AudioPhile Linux

So according to AP-Linux, you shouldn't be running audio software that might actually be useful to you!

Chris

Oh and I should add that I have had a PC running Vortexbox for nearly 3 years now as my NAS. I also have a Pogoplug with MPD on it... I just cannot stand the interface for LMS. I love the Vortexbox software for ripping and it's NAS functions but the use of LMS for serving music leaves a lot to be desired. The remote via Ipad/Iphone is nowhere near as easy to use as JRemote either.

Well, if you don't want to use MPD or LMS, that leaves DLNA/Upnp audio servers. But it seems you have already decided to buy into JRMC.

Chris

• 2 months later...
I'm sorry to say I don't think much of AP-Linux. It looks like someone's “remastersy” re-spin of Linux Mint. Perhaps those who have installed it can tell us if it has it's own repository. What sources does it use? ( i.e what's in /etc/apt/tsources.d )

As I've already said in this other thread http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/audiophile-linux-1-0-2-distro-14617/, the idea that you need a fully pre-emptive real time kernel and jackd for best quality audio playback in Linux is mistaken. Hence I believe AP-Liunx is based on a false premise. It is also self-contradictory, as if, as claimed, optimising Linux for best audio playback quality means reducing running processes and memory footprint, why run any kind of graphical environment at all? Just follow the VoyageMPD route, or bake your own. IME standard Linux distros are easily capable of high quality audio playback with the correct configuration and without the need for the extensive “optimisation”AP-Linux talks of.

You don't have to do anything special to achieve this in Linux. Avoid, or correctly configure “Pulseaudio” if it is installed not to work at a fixed sample rate like 4800Hz. Don't use any ALSA dmix, there should normally be no need for a user .asoundrc file, and follow these guidelines for “bit-perfect” audio:

Bit Perfect Audio from Linux

FYI, “pulseaudio” is Not an audio player. See here :

PulseAudio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Juliocat, I'm glad you've found your audio nirvana, but that's quite a claim. I'd be interested to know just what other Linux distros you've used and with what player software and how you've configured them. Have you, for example, used any of the following, none of which come with “pulseaudio”installed and all of which have tweaked kernels?

Xubuntu

Lubuntu

Siduction Linux ( XFCE or LXDE)

PC-LinuxOS

AP-Linux it's the only solution that I've found, without getting a very expensive dedicated server, to playback all my music, from rare recordings in mp3 to all lossless formats to high resolution downloads on extremely low latencies and without pops cracks or residual noises. If you don't think that the optimization that Marko Lerota has performed here is necessary be careful to avoid download it and install it accidentally. There's a Linux based server, the Lumin, that cost $6,840.00, that claims to do all that AP-Linux does, maybe the Lumin it's better but AP-Linux it's free.

I'm happily using AP-Linux with a Metrum Hex DAC, a EF6 Hifiman's preamplifier, a Cary Audio SLA-70 Tube Amp, updated by the manufacturer with solid state caps, and a set of Mass Loaded Single Driver, custom made by Bob Brines and a TBI Emperor Subwoofer. Thank you Marko!

Hi, after 4 months, I'm back with an update: I finally solved the problems mentioned above (glitches, dropouts etc.) by buying new hardware: I replaced my (really) old HP Laptop with a Lenovo IdeaPad Yoga 11S (the 3rd generation i7 version with 2,6GHz, 8 GB RAM and 256 SSD), reinstalled Fedora (Release 20 "Heisenbug") + MPD 018. Now, I can play all my high resolution audio sources (FLAC 192, DSD etc.) without any interference via my Mytek DAC and use MPoD on my iPhone for selecting the tracks I want to play. The problems were just caused by my old laptop (too little memory and processing power).

I can highly recommend the Yoga 11S + Fedora as a music server: I am using it in the "stand" mode (with the keyboard upside down) on a DJ laptop stand (with the Mytek DAC on the middle shelf). This way, it does not look like a laptop but rather like some sophisticated HiFi gadget (especially with the small-sized 11-inch display). The touchscreen worked out-of-the box on Fedora (in contrast to WiFi, but I prefer to connect my NAS via ethernet anyway: therefore, I plugged in an ethernet adapter which also did not require any additional driver installation). With the SSD drive, the laptop boots up super fast, is extremely quiet and (even together with the Mytek and high-end USB/Ethernat cables) the price was less than that of most of the "reference" Music Servers (Lumin, Aurender, Antipode, ...)

To get back to the topic:

After my experiences, I agree with (most of) you about that Linux is a great platform for music playback in audiophile quality. It is exactly the same as what you get when you buy one of the "reference" boxes, with the advantage that you can choose your own DAC (listen to some and pick the one you like the most). The only disadvantage is that you have to configure it yourself and the setup still requires some work, as described in my previous posts (but for my new laptop, I neither had to adjust audio_buffer_size and buffer_before_play parameters in mpd.conf nor the "nice level" of MPD to get stable playback).

However, I disagree with (some of) you about that you need a special Linux distribution for this purpose, like AP-Linux, Daphile or preferably one that has no graphical environment at all (like Voyage). With my 2,6GHz i7 processor, high resolution music rendering works (up to DSD128) without any audible difference when a graphical client (i am using GMPC) is running on the same computer at the same time (not even Fedora's screensavers can disturb MPD). However, GMPC offers another interface to the server which is a nice alternative to the iPhone since the touchscreen can be used for browsing the music library and it displays cover art, lyrics etc. which looks pretty cool (as do the screensavers). I am still using a minimal desktop manager (XFCE) and GMPC is running in full-screen mode, most of the time. Another advantage of Fedora (over a headless Linux) is that I can run other media playback software than MPD on the same laptop: I run, e.g., XBMC for streaming movies from my NAS to my TV and Mopidy to stream music from Spotify (using my standard MPD clients for remote control) and Rhythmbox for Internet Radio.

Although everything sounds and looks so great, there is still room for improvement:

At the moment, I am looking for a better (seamless) integration of MPD with Spotify and Internet Radio. Currently, I still have to decide whether I want to listen to something from my own collection on MPD or to a remote source (like Spotify content or Internet Radio). I'ld like to have one server application on Linux that can access any music source. My idea is, that I get inspired by Internet Radio, what to stream from Spotify and after pre-listening on Spotify, I buy the releases I like in high resolution formats like FLAC or DSD (from HighResAudio, HDTracks etc.). That's what I am already doing, but I still have to use multiple programs. One solution to that "problem" would probably be Independify which I could install to access Spotify and install the UPnP Plugin to access Indipendify from MPD. Scripts for accessing Internet radio stations from MPD are also available. But this looks all pretty complicated. Has anybody of you ever set up such a playback infrastructure on Linux?

I've also seen that MPD 018 already includes Despotify support (i.e. I successfully compiled MPD018 with the --enable-despotify option). As far as I know, Despotify is a command line client for Spotify (which I never used) and I could not find a lot of usefull information about it. Does anybody know how Despotify can be configured to access Spotify from MPD?

• 2 months later...
Oh and I should add that I have had a PC running Vortexbox for nearly 3 years now as my NAS. I also have a Pogoplug with MPD on it. I tried an early implementation of VAMP and did not like it. I still believe that a full PC can better the Pogoplug/MPD sound but many of these trials have not proved that to be true. I just cannot stand the interface for LMS. I love the Vortexbox software for ripping and it's NAS functions but the use of LMS for serving music leaves a lot to be desired. The remote via Ipad/Iphone is nowhere near as easy to use as JRemote either.

The latest VB 2.3 and VAMP 0.6 releases are much better for speed, stability and sound quality. And try iPeng for control if you don't like the LMS interface.

I've not read this entire thread yet so if somehow my question has already been addressed, sorry about that.

I'm looking for a Linux package which is very lightweight, easy to use (I know virtually nothing about Linux), allows for some modification (I know, I'll have to learn some Linux commands to do that), and includes a Squeezeserver as, next to JRemote, IPeng is the best remote app I've come across.

I've been playing with Daphile but it doesn't allow me to experiment with other players, etc.

Having said that, I think Daphile is only about 300MB's installed. I'd like to stay within that range if not smaller, if possible.

Does anything out there fit the bill I've described?

Thanks,

Joel

I've not read this entire thread yet so if somehow my question has already been addressed, sorry about that.

I'm looking for a Linux package which is very lightweight, easy to use (I know virtually nothing about Linux), allows for some modification (I know, I'll have to learn some Linux commands to do that), and includes a Squeezeserver as, next to JRemote, IPeng is the best remote app I've come across.

I've been playing with Daphile but it doesn't allow me to experiment with other players, etc.

Having said that, I think Daphile is only about 300MB's installed. I'd like to stay within that range if not smaller, if possible.

Does anything out there fit the bill I've described?

Thanks,

Joel

Check out Vortexbox 2.3. about - VortexBox user forum The boot partition is more like 525Mb, but you can't beat the functionality.

Thanks a lot for the reply, dyohn.

I've read just a little about Vortexbox and it seems like one of the primary packages out there.

I just don't need everything it offers. Is it possible to strip features out . . . especially by the Linux-incapable?

I really only need a player.

Joel

Thanks a lot for the reply, dyohn.

I've read just a little about Vortexbox and it seems like one of the primary packages out there.

I just don't need everything it offers. Is it possible to strip features out . . . especially by the Linux-incapable?

I really only need a player.

Joel

Vortexbox is server software, not a player. I thought you said you needed something with Squeeze server (now called Logitech Media Server) included. The best Linux-based player for the Slim Systems environment is probably Squeezelite. It will run on nearly any Nix-based OS. Check out the threads on the Logitech Squeezebox forum.