IGNORED

Linux for Audiophiles

juliocat

Memory Play

There is a music player in linux with this option?

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

I'm not a linux user ... just tried Ap-Linux to perform a quick comparison.

In relation to Lubuntu, I can go for it but I need to be sure M2Tech EVO can be installed as for:

https://github.com/panicking/snd-usb-asyncaudio/wiki

Max.

In my opinion the linux driver for the EVois better sounding than OSX and windows driver

Hackintosh I7 16GB Ram, Roon, HQPlayer, Drobo 8 TB NAS, Raspberry Pi 3 NAA, Gustard X20 ES 9018 Xmos, Audio GD C39 Preamp, The First ONE DIY Amp, Monitor Audio GS20 Speakers, Monitor Audio RSW12 Subwoofer, PI Audio MagikBuss filter.

See you later.

... update.

After a decently long listening session, my preference goes to cMP2 setup, no doubts. AP-Linux or Lubuntu setup sound good as a good Windows/Foobar setup. No magic, just good sound. It's the same difference you could have between a Marantz SA11 player and an Accuphase DP85 ... The first one just sound good, the second sound music.

Have a nice day. Max

• 2 weeks later...

I found our about ap-linux from this thread. I have never used Linux before. Now after a week or two I have a fine sounding music server which I can control from my nexus. I have enjoyed this project very much, as it was also my intro to Linux. Thank you mlerota for your work, great website , documentation and help via forum. To all the ney sayers on this thread: if you can put together something better, do it, instead of posting negative comments to show how smart you are .

I'm reluctant to give AP-Linux the oxygen of publicity, let alone any praise. My criticisms, and there are many, have nothing to do with trying to be smart or clever, and everything to do with trying to prevent people being swayed by “audiophile” buzzwords and get them to realise that a standard Linux distro is all you need.

If it's convenient, try an experiment on your system. Boot ap-linux, but choose the standard 3.2.0 kernel on the boot menu. I believe you've already got rid of “pulseaudio”, now play some music using deadbeef configured to use ALSA directly and not through jackd. ( see here for instructions: Bit Perfect Audio from Linux) What do you hear? Like Juliocat has already said in this thread I'd be surprised if you notice any difference between this and the ap-linux setup.

Chris

• 3 weeks later...

So, who sounds better:

1. ap-linux (lubuntu)

2. cmp

3. Win + JPlay

I am on my way to build an audio PC.

Problem is that JPlay has incredible requirements for simple driver. I would need Core i7, 6G to 8G of RAM and CAPS v3 Streacom FC5WS EVO box + 99 euro for JPlpay. It is almost 4 times as expensive as just Intel DN2800MT + some simple case and 4G RAM running linux or cmp (or it is also not enough power?)

I found our about ap-linux from this thread. I have never used Linux before. Now after a week or two I have a fine sounding music server which I can control from my nexus. I have enjoyed this project very much, as it was also my intro to Linux. Thank you mlerota for your work, great website , documentation and help via forum. To all the ney sayers on this thread: if you can put together something better, do it, instead of posting negative comments to show how smart you are .

You registered to say that? I bet you are a second account of someone already here aren't you...

No electron left behind.

So, who sounds better:

1. ap-linux (lubuntu)

2. cmp

3. Win + JPlay

Problem is that JPlay has incredible requirements for simple driver. I would need Core i7, 6G to 8G of RAM and CAPS v3 Streacom FC5WS EVO box + 99 euro for JPlpay. It is almost 4 times as expensive as just Intel DN2800MT + some simple case and 4G RAM running linux or cmp (or it is also not enough power?)

ap linux and Lubuntu are two different things.

No electron left behind.

So, who sounds better:

1. ap-linux (lubuntu)

2. cmp

3. Win + JPlay

I compared ap-linux with W7 + jplay. The W7+jplay easily beat ap-linux. Ap-linux worked fine, but just sounded ordinary.

I also don't think you need that incredible a spec for jplay? 6 to 8gB ram is plenty, but just for comparison, I'm currently using a P4 3.0ghz with 2.5gb of ram!!

W8 sounds better than W7 btw.

I compared ap-linux with W7 + jplay. The W7+jplay easily beat ap-linux. Ap-linux worked fine, but just sounded ordinary.

I also don't think you need that incredible a spec for jplay? 6 to 8gB ram is plenty, but just for comparison, I'm currently using a P4 3.0ghz with 2.5gb of ram!!

W8 sounds better than W7 btw.

Thank you, chisel.

The problem is that JPlay team dont have requirements for an app. While reading their forum, i undestood that i need a powerfull pc. Build guides of CAPC v3 all point that all CAPC exept Zuma will not handle JPlay:

1.86 GHz dual core Atom N2800 CPU (6.5 watt TDP). This processor has plenty of power for most music servers designed to output bit perfect audio. Using room correction or an add-on application like JPlay will likely require a much faster processor.

I found that Celeron 847 is better than atom, but looks like it'll also fail to handle JPlay app. And i'll need a full scale processor => i'll need that $300 fanless box.

So as i'll build an expensive case, not just atom or celeron all in one solution, it is reasonable to have good video rendering in it. Intel HD 4000 should do it well. But it is present only in core i7 (all mods) and core i5 only in k model which is 77 Wt. Several core i3 has intel hd 4000 but hard to find those.

dat damn JPlay app will cost me far more 99 euro :) But as you said it beat them all.

Thank you, chisel.

dat damn JPlay app will cost me far more 99 euro :) But as you said it beat them all.

Well, it certainly beat the AP-linux distro - which I had high hopes for even though it was much dissapproved of here. There seems to be more approval for vortexbox and lubuntu, so I don't know if they would sound better.

Do bear in mind that the current version of jplay allows you to use a 2 PC set up. One does nothing but play the music, and this should have nothing installed but the OS and jplay. It can be reasonable spec. The other PC can be your laptop or whatever, and you can continue to use this as a regular PC for surfing or whatever.

Best of luck with your build. Its something I have listed for some months from now..... but I think my plans will be much more mundane than yours!

Do bear in mind that the current version of jplay allows you to use a 2 PC set up. One does nothing but play the music, and this should have nothing installed but the OS and jplay. It can be reasonable spec. The other PC can be your laptop or whatever, and you can continue to use this as a regular PC for surfing or whatever.

I should definetly check it out.

I think my plans will be much more mundane than yours!

:) I just want good transport.

Just caught up with the latest posts here. Again, rather hilarious. A lot of people would LOVE to have a simple to install, low overhead/efficient, free and effective OS build to run an audio server/CAPs build. To my mind, one of if not the single biggest appeal of buying a product such as the Bryston BDP-2 is that this OS headache is taken care of by someone else that has a trustworthy, reputable firm behind them.

So where can I get a simple install package (double-click and I'm done) for a purpose-built audiophile OS, that I don't need to futz with ever, to run an audio server? It aint bloated Windoze...

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

So where can I get a simple install package (double-click and I'm done) for a purpose-built audiophile OS, that I don't need to futz with ever, to run an audio server? It aint bloated Windoze...

It is simple. Either spend resources on learning and DIY, or spend resources on buying a ready-made commercial (i.e. not free) solution. There is no such thing as a free lunch.

True, but you ought to be able to readily see the appeal of someone saying here's a Linux build that's already optimised for an audiophile server and to highlight such it is being "branded" AP-Linux. If it works well - utterly regardless of whether the same thing can be achieved in other ways by mumbo jumbo tweaking of kernel this or that - then it will have appeal.

So is there a guide to the latest and greatest guide definitive Linux build for an audiophile server? Is the link Krisbee noted above it?

I just love Macs because you don't need to go anywhere near this stuff.

Speakers: Egglestonworks Andra III front left/right and centre; Egglestonworks Rosa as surround; Rel Stentor II subwoofer. Synergistic Research Element Copper speaker cable. Cardas Clear Light interconnect. Amps: Krel FPB-200 and 2 x Krell KAV 150a. Theta Casablanca IV with multichannel Dirac Live. Oppo 103. Isotek GII Titan power conditioning. Acoustic treatments: 2 x RPG Modex Plates; RPG 100mm BAD panels; RPG Skylines.

True, but you ought to be able to readily see the appeal of someone saying here's a Linux build that's already optimised for an audiophile server and to highlight such it is being "branded" AP-Linux. If it works well - utterly regardless of whether the same thing can be achieved in other ways by mumbo jumbo tweaking of kernel this or that - then it will have appeal.

Appeal is nice, but preparing a brain-dead distribution for any hardware which does not require any input from the user is a pretty hard work. And pretty boring, too. Put money on the table, and someone will certainly gladly build you one.

So is there a guide to the latest and greatest guide definitive Linux build for an audiophile server?

The word audiophile is the problem here. If you have someone knowledgeable enough to make a brain-dead linux distribution, he will certainly be knowledgeable enough to understand the nonsenses of the "audiophile" tweaking. And those who "twist" their systems to gain the golden grail have in most cases not enough clue to build the distribution. While others will make a listening test, find out they cannot tell any difference, and move from the "tweaking" stage on to something useful. Sorry, just the way it is.

I just love Macs because you don't need to go anywhere near this stuff.

Well use it then. I very doubt you will be able to tell linux gives you a better sound, provided you make your mac bit perfect and both run on the same HW.

I love linux for the exact opposite - it allows me to get down to the lowest detail of my hardware, to squeeze maximum performance my (preferrably weak) hardware is capable of.

If I could use the Mac OS on the hardware I want then I would. I'm stuck with either learning more about Windoze or Linux. Where's the best place start with, given the thread topic, Linux?

Learning is definitely the best way to go :)

IMO if you want to play with your setup, linux offers you a vastly larger playground.

First, what is your overall idea of how your setup should look, how do you want to operate it, what functionality it should provide? IMO specifying your dreamt-up vision is the starting point for further steps.

Learning is definitely the best way to go :)

IMO if you want to play with your setup, linux offers you a vastly larger playground.

First, what is your overall idea of how your setup should look, how do you want to operate it, what functionality it should provide? IMO specifying your dreamt-up vision is the starting point for further steps.

Think Bryston BDP-1 or 2.

This will be a piece of audio gear. I'd prefer not to know it was a computer - ok not literally but hopefully that conveys a theme. I'd even go as far as having a custom backplate done to make it look even less like a computer. Paul Hynes independent linear power rails to mobo (Intel DH61AG with OS on on-board flash card) and (modified) Juli@ XTe sound card. Direct wiring of Juli@ card to Cardas RCA jack for S/PDIF. Internal SSD. No moving parts. Passive cooling. No display attached (except perhaps for initial setup).

Single audio player (only) launches on power on/wake up. No other apps. Audio player is managed by iPad/iPhone over wifi. Audio server connected to wifi via ethernet. (I'd love it if JRiver was ported to Linux.) No interest in video. Pure 2 channel audio device (although would retain ability to play multichannel audio over the HDMI port). Need to be able to access SSD over a local network to upload additional audio files.

I think that's about it. No interest at this stage in streaming or DLNA etc.