IGNORED

Dave Brubeck Time Out (HDtracks): Missing Center Channel?

Just downloaded the 88.2/24 version of 'Time Out' via HDtracks this morning, and it seems to be missing the center channel. I have the 2-channel SACD*, where Paul Desmond's all-important sax is VERY prominent and loud in the "center" (that is, coming out of both speakers), but in the download, it's much reduced in volume and is confined to the left channel, thus upsetting the original balance considerably. In fact, everything in this download is pretty much hard-left and hard-right with nothing that I can discern coming out of both channels. (I'm listening via headphones, so this effect is super obvious.) This is unlike the SACD and other editions of this album I've heard.

Anyone else experience this?

Russell

*Sony later issued a 3-channel SACD (L, center, R) of this recording, which I've not heard, since I only listen in 2-channel.

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Is it possible that its recorded / mastered out of phase?

You know....like if you have your speaker cable polarities different on each speaker you get exactly that effect.

I dont know if its possible to record out of phase....maybe some recording engineer can enlighten us.

MacMini 8Gb OSX > Pure Music / Bitperfect / Amarra / iTunes > Synology DS215J NAS > Schiit Wyrd > Stello U3 > Naim Uniti Atom, Harbeth P3ESR. Meier Corda Arietta Headphone Amp > Sennhieser HD650 Phones (Cardas rewire). Isol-8 Powerline Axis. Isotek GII Orion Power Conditioner. Cardas Clear USB Cable. Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cable. All other cables by Mark Grant.

Vinyl still has it's place. Technics SL1200. Modified with Mike New Bearing, KAB Strobe Disable, MCRU 2 box PSU, Isonoe Feet, SME M2-9 Tonearm > Goldring 2400 >Rothwell Simplex Phonostage.

Just downloaded the 88.2/24 version of 'Time Out' via HDtracks this morning, and it seems to be missing the center channel. I have the 2-channel SACD*, where Paul Desmond's all-important sax is VERY prominent and loud in the "center" (that is, coming out of both speakers), but in the download, it's much reduced in volume and is confined to the left channel, thus upsetting the original balance considerably. In fact, everything in this download is pretty much hard-left and hard-right with nothing that I can discern coming out of both channels. (I'm listening via headphones, so this effect is super obvious.) This is unlike the SACD and other editions of this album I've heard.

Russell

*Sony later issued a 3-channel SACD (L, center, R) of this recording, which I've not heard, since I only listen in 2-channel.

I have also experienced this with Deep Purple Machine Head album. Some instruments that used to be prominent were still there, but so faded away that I felt this was "partly" taken from a surround version...

Alain

I've got the same problem Russell. I've emailed HD Tracks twice regarding this and have yet to recieve a response. Whatever the cause, HD Tracks clearly has the wrong mix. Essentially it's unlistenable and not a finished product. I either want the correct mix or my money back. It's obvious to anyone including those who have never even heard Time Out that something is clearly wrong here.

Have you tried contacting HD Tracks?

Regards

Paul Candy

Correction--just heard back from HD Tracks. They are aware of the problem and are trying to provide correct files or will issue refund. Russell--you might want to check with HD Tracks if you haven't already.

Cheers

Paul

Ta, also thought something was wrong, the bass gone. Note that in their latest newsletter no Dave Brubeck but it is still there for sale.

Correction--just heard back from HD Tracks. They are aware of the problem and are trying to provide correct files or will issue refund. Russell--you might want to check with HD Tracks if you haven't already.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks, Paul--glad that they're aware of the problem. I'll contact them as well.

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

My reaction to this production was similar to others, the music seems flat and lifeless.

Listening on a Hi-Fi system suggested very Left/Right sound, no stereo imaging at all.

Weak describes the sound, even played loud it did not sound well at all.

My session with headphones was slightly more favorable with better imaging and sound.

But I find that a harder test than listening to speakers in a room.

A little disappointing, really ... I have sent a note to HDT noting my impressions.

...but in the download, it's much reduced in volume and is confined to the left channel, thus upsetting the original balance considerably. In fact, everything in this download is pretty much hard-left and hard-right with nothing that I can discern coming out of both channels.

Yes, I have the same issue with the 24/176 download.

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Yes, I have the same issue with the 24/176 download.

HDTracks just sent me an email saying my new download is ready, along with an apology for the bad download. Really nice since I hadn't bothered to contact them on this one yet.

Still waiting to hear from them on the background hiss on my Dianna Krall Rag Doll Girl download...

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

HDTracks just sent me an email saying my new download is ready, along with an apology for the bad download. Really nice since I hadn't bothered to contact them on this one yet.

Still waiting to hear from them on the background hiss on my Dianna Krall Rag Doll Girl download...

I contacted HDTracks about it yesterday and they send me the email and the fix just now...downloading it right now...

Ahhh...the music is back. The new 24/176 download sounds great. Thanks to those that contacted HDTracks on our behalf (and thanks HDTracks for making this right).

Duh, I thought it was some weird 60's recordings, like The Beatles, vocals in the left and instruments in the right... The recording is great for resolution cause the high hat and cymbals are very clear, in the one channel.

As a music piece it sucks to listen to though. Congrats to HD tracks to re-download the 'listenable' tracks. Take 5 is a great piece of classic jazz, now it will really be enjoyable.

Also check out Brubeck live at the Concord, from HDTracks, that's a very good live recording of Take 5. I think it's an 88/24.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

VERY nice catch on this defect...Out of the blue, I received an e-mail from HDtracks this afternoon referencing unspecified complaints about the audio quality on Dave Brubeck's Time Out and offering a remedial download. I figured at least some of the complaints had to have originated here. Lo and behold. And now I understand why. Thanks!!

Hmmm..... HDtracks hasn't sent me an e-mail yet. Maybe it's because I downloaded the 88.2/24 version and it's not ready yet???

Russell

Hmmm..... HDtracks hasn't sent me an e-mail yet. Maybe it's because I downloaded the 88.2/24 version and it's not ready yet???

Russell

I got the email having downloaded the 88.2 version. It was a hassle trying to get the new files so rather than wait I ended up spending a whole $17 again. Haven't had time to look at audacity graphs but some of the sax sounds clipped to me. Apart from some of the sax superb. Anyone else?

I got the email having downloaded the 88.2 version. It was a hassle trying to get the new files so rather than wait I ended up spending a whole $17 again. Haven't had time to look at audacity graphs but some of the sax sounds clipped to me. Apart from some of the sax superb. Anyone else?

I downloaded the original 88.2 version about a week ago. After receiving the aforementioned e-mail I downloaded what seems to be the corrected version. Maybe they didn't notify everyone who should have been notified. But if you haven't been notified, here are the relevant instructions they sent me:

---------

"To receive your corrected copy of Dave Brubeck's Time Out in the format you originally ordered:

1. Important: Please delete the Time Out files that you originally downloaded on your computer.

2. Log into HDtracks and visit your customer account page: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=myaccount

3. Click on the Resume Download button on the right side of your screen.

At this point, the download manager will start downloading the album. If for any reason you have a problem downloading this album, please contact us as soon as possible at [email protected] "

---------

Sorry guys for my comments earlier in the thread where I said that Paul Desmond was coming through loud and clear in the middle. I realized later I had been listening to my CD version on my CAPS 2 server, not the 176/24 version from HD Tracks. Sure enough when I played that it had the same issues, and I now have the new files, which are a lot better.

Colin

Finally got the corrected files--MUCH, MUCH better!!! It really sounds fantastic.

All is right with the world again.....

Russell

First post here: This is really terrific, better than the Analogue Productions SACD...

Judging by the sample rate, it's probably sourced from SACD or DSD files. Thus I imagine the files it came from may sound a bit better. I have the Sony SACD and it's damn good.