IGNORED

Best Way To Connect System

Hi All,

I'm putting together my home office / listening room sound system. This system will only be used for listening to music. Would greatly appreciate your input on the best way to connect these componets up to get the best sound possible.

Here is what I have:

* 2012 iMac

* Onkyo 7.1 HT System

* KRK Rokit8G2 (2 each)

* Audioengine D1 DAC

Is it possible to connect the KRK's to the iMac and have them work seamlessly with the Onkyo system or are there better ways to connect this system up?

Do I need to get additional componets?

Thanks!

Since the KRKs area powered and the Audioengine DAC has volume control you could just go:

Mac --> USB --> Audioengine DAC --> RCAs --> KRK

Do you specifically want to use the Onkyo?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Since the KRKs area powered and the Audioengine DAC has volume control you could just go:

Mac --> USB --> Audioengine DAC --> RCAs --> KRK

Do you specifically want to use the Onkyo?

Thanks for the reply!

I would like to incorporate the surround sound speakers connected to the Onkyo to work with the system.

So if I connect the KRK's like this : Mac --> USB --> Audioengine DAC --> RCAs --> KRK...What would be the correct way to connect the Onkyo system?

Thanks for the reply!

I would like to incorporate the surround sound speakers connected to the Onkyo to work with the system.

So if I connect the KRK's like this : Mac --> USB --> Audioengine DAC --> RCAs --> KRK...What would be the correct way to connect the Onkyo system?

Are you looking to play multi-channel audio, such as DVDs and Blu-ray through your setup?

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Are you looking to play multi-channel audio, such as DVDs and Blu-ray through your setup?

I will be playing DVD's through this set-up and ideally would like to have all the speakers work together. I realize the KRK's will be connected to the imac and dac and was hoping to incorporate the Onkyo system speakers somehow.

As you can tell, I am a total newbie so I hope I am making sense!

Thanks!

From your list of equipment, I'm assuming you are wanting to set up a 4.0 system - that is 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers? You want these controlled by the Onkyo so that you can play music from your Mac with AudioEngine D1 DAC as well as using a DVD player?

First off, you'll need to look see if the Onkyo has multi-channel outputs. Without these you're really not going to be able to manage to incorporate the KRK speakers with the Onkyo.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.