IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

both Clearlink and Platinum are 1m. the Diamond is 1.5m which is the length that thecableco have in their library

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

this is, of course, in my system. take into account that I can't really talk about lower bass, since though my speakers might embarrass even some good floorstanders, they still are bookshelves.

I'll get right to the point:

Platinum

• has dryer and faster bass
  • is overall slightly faster
  • HF decay is practically the same as Diamond
  • tends to be more neutral/analytical
  • has slightly better layering
  • soundstage is a little more precise and defined
  • overall is more defined and precise
  • leading edge is faster and more defined

Diamond

• bass is slightly fuller, without any loss of detail
  • a little less defined, but as detailed as the Platinum
  • has a larger and wider soundstage
  • quality and decay of HFs is excellent without any obvious differences
  • voices sound better, more real
  • has more of an organic sound
  • tends to be euphonic, without loss of details - slightly "warm"
  • is less defined, but sounds a little more natural

One thing that has to be acknowledged is that I don't lose any detail whatsoever with any of these cables. Their differences seem to be more in the nature of pov. The Platinum has a faster and more precise leading edge which results in a faster and more defined overall sound. The Diamond has a more organic and natural sound with slighty slower and richer bass, but without being bloated, etc. Voices sounded better with the Diamond, but bear in mind that we're talking about very subtle, albeit clear, differences.

ATM I tend to prefer the Diamond in my system.

In a few days the new entry-level Synergistic Research will arrive from thecableco.

Best regards

André

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

Very interesting! I might test an AQ Diamond USB sometime to compare against my WW Platinum in my system too. Thanks.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

the Synergistic Research SE USB Active digital link has arrived... very curious to compare it to the others

Today I was able to compare the cables that I have been wanting to listen to side-by-side for quite a while: the Synergistic Research Active SE USB link, the WireWorld Platinum and AudioQuest Diamond.

First I had to find out which of Enigma Tuning Bullets (gotta laugh at these names :D) would work best in my system. I started with the gray, then changed to silver, because of the limited treble extension with the gray, and finally opted for the black one, which, without a doubt, had better bass, treble and overall sound than the other two.

I then started comparing the three cables, always listening to the SR as second (eg track 1: WW-SR-AQ, track 2: AQ-WW-SR, etc.).

Since I knew the traits of the WW and the AQ this method made understanding the differences between them easier. Right from the start I'd like to state that all three have different strengths, but are excellent and I could happily live with any of them. Due to the change in method I'll put my notes per track.

1 - Michael Jackson / Jam (artificial depth, resolution of information overload and bass)

• SR more depth than the others
  • AQ more musical bass
  • AQ faster bass than SR, but slower than WW
  • SR more texture than AQ and WW

Preference: AQ = SR> WW

2 - Michael Jackson / Invincible (soundstage and artificial spaciality, bass extension and speed)

• SR more detailed than AQ and WW
  • SR equivalent bass to WW, but richer. AQ has the best bass
  • AQ better with voices
  • SR more 3D and holographic than WW and AQ

Preference: AQ = SR> WW

3 - Prince / Life o 'the Party (deep bass, HF decay and pop mids)

• HF decay AQ = SR
  • SR voices a little better than AQ. WW voices inferior
  • WW fastest
  • WW more HF information

Preference: SR> AQ> WW

4 - Esperanza Spalding / Ponta de Areia (LF speed Muringa, drums, texture, BGV, piano)

• SR VERY 3D
  • Voices: AQ> SR> WW
  • plasticity: SR> AQ> WW
  • soundstage height: WW=AQ> SR
  • AQ best bass

Preference: AQ> SR> WW

5 - Esperanza Spalding / I Adore You (micro-dynamics and upper mids)

• AQ better textures, timbres and clearer
  • SR more detailed and cleaner mids
  • SR more plasticity
  • Speed: WW=AQ> SR
  • WW more HF information than AQ and SR

6 - Kurt Elling / Moonlight Serenade (mids, voice, ambience, refinement)

• SR more plasticity
  • Voices: AQ> SR> WW
  • SR cleaner mids
  • SR very 3D
  • HF information: WW>AQ>SR

Preference: SR = AQ> WW

7 - Kurt Elling / Detour Ahead (imaging on natural soundstage)

• SR excellent spatiality (3D)
  • soundstage imaging: SR = AQ (though different)> WW
  • WW more HF informatio

Preference: SR> AQ> WW

8 - Chicago Symphony Orchestra, Abbado / Mahler 5th (orchestral soundstage, acoustic LFs, timbres and textures, macro and micro dynamics, spatiality)

• soundstage: SR> AQ> WW
  • bass: AQ = WW> SR
  • SR cleaner mids
  • SR more detailed than WW, except for LFs
  • Timbres: AQ> SR> WW
  • Definition: WW> AQ> SR

Preference: AQ> SR = WW

9 - Peter Gabriel / San Jacinto (New Blood - 24/48) (definition, resolution, refinement, timbre, articulation, attack, treble decay, flow, voices)

• SR 3D
  • Mid-bass: AQ> WW = SR
  • voices better with AQ
  • WW mids slightly veiled (something that I observed in most tracks)
  • WW fastest bass, AQ bass more musical

10 - Leonardo Gonçalves / Yerushalayim Shel Zahav (24/88.2) (piano, ambience, string texture, resolution, refinement, timbres, "air")

• clean piano with WW, SR has better timbre and texture of piano
  • SR more accurate ambience, more 3D
  • WW best bass
  • AQ best timbres and textures

Preference: AQ = SR = WW

A few last comments:

The differences are small and probably very system-dependent. If I could have the plasticity and three-dimensionality of the SR with the texture, the HF decay and bass of the AQ I would be perfectly happy. Since I haven't found all that in one cable my preference is towards the AQ Diamond. This does not mean that the Platinum isn't a great cable, but in my system it did hi-fi better than the others, but did not have the natural and balanced sound of the Diamond nor the spatiality of SR. I really believe that the outcome would be different in another system. Usually I listen more analytically, but the Diamond allowed me to continue hearing everything, albeit more naturally.

At the end of the hearing inserted the Aubisque between the Diamond and the Cantata. This increased the density of the lower mids and the upper bass in a good way, but, once again, I lost a good deal of HF decay.

Anyway, my next quest it to find a reasonably-priced Diamond. If I find a great deal on on a SR SE USB Active or a Platinum I'll probably go with one of them, since cost/benefit is still very important to me. :D

Best regards

André

I agree with those summations as far as classical music are concerned, and this is the reason I do not use any Wireworld USB cables (timbre is inaccurate and soundstage is collapsed), even though I prefer their SPDIF and analogue cables over all others (where the exact opposite is the case). I think the AQ Diamond has classical music nailed, though I have no idea of how good it might be for popular music as I am a very inexpert and inexperienced listener in that regard.

It is interesting how our systems are as different as you could possibly imagine (and mine much lower in quality than yours), yet we still came to the same conclusion WW vs AQ with classical.

I was big sceptic concering USB cable influence to signal. I thought about them in similar way as about HDMI cables till...

A few days ago I got opportunity to try NORDOST Blue Heaven and OYAIDE Continental 5S USB cables and compare them to standard QED One series and somekind Bandrige USB cables.

My system is following:

Corsair HX520 PSU (if it's matters), standard MSI (NEC chip) USB 3.0 PCI-E board inside computer-> standard Bandrige USB cable->SOTM dx-USB HD->Nordost Blue Heaven SPDIF (coax, 1 m length)->AV reciever Denon AVR-4311 [pure direct mode] with Soundcare feets-> Nordost Blue Heaven speaker cables-> Focal Electra 1007 Be with Soundcare feets (as I use speakers on furniture).

1st - QED vs Bandridge. After a few different song tracks it was totally clear, that QED cable doesn't transmit "half of information", a lot of "sss" in vocals and etc. With Bandridge I could hear much more: better resolution, stage, muc more neutral sound overall. Generally much beter option.

2nd - Bandridge vs Nordost. Nordost was another subjective 3 steps to better signal quality: transparency, "noice floor", stage, detail, clean sound, speed, precission.

3rd comparison - Nordost vs Oyiade. I can openly say, I in head said "Wow" as Oyaide was so much better than Nordost: stagering resolution, very detail sound (not bright), but you don't get tired of it, beatiful 3d dimensionality concerning overal stage, where it is need it was very fast, where needed it was precise and so on. Generally everything felt right with Oyaide. Based on small price difference between Nordost and Oyaide cable for me Oyaide easy and clear winner in this small comparisson of cables. I really recommend to try mentioned Oyaide USB cable. That are just my subjective impressions... :) Now I can't decide to buy or not this wonderfull Oyaide cable because it's price almost the same as SOTM "box" I have :/.

P.s. For me it was first time when Nordost "lost" to other brand :).

Thanks Andre for starting this most interesting thread.

My local dealer urged me to pick up a Cardas Clear USB cable, which I did without thinking twice about it, particularly at the modest price point. Until then I was using the stock W4S cable running from my MBP to a W4S DAC2. Honestly, I couldn't tell the difference when I swapped the cable out. Some part of me hopes that it made a difference!

There are many recommendations here that I will try. The AQ Diamond looks promising. The other cable I'm interested in checking out is the Siltech Explorer USB, does anyone have experience with this cable?

OT, I have one of Steve N's Short Block USB filters being delivered today, let's see what that brings to the table!

Todd

2012 MBP (OSX 10.11 and Amarra Symphony w/IRC)-> Revelation Dual Conduit USB -> Berkeley Alpha USB -> Verastarr Silver Signature AES -> Devialet D250-> Siltech 550L -> KEF 104/2 (Steve Nugent Custom).

Power conditioning Audience Adept AR2p -> Verastarr Grand Illusion, Siltech Explorer 270p and Crystal Cable Standard Diamond

Analog: VPI Classic 3, Sumiko Pearwood Celebration ii, Siltech 770i RCA

Nope but I have the continental USB for 325 and i can say i performs solidly and is very neutral.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

So there's no word on the old iFi Gemini USB cable yet, is there? I've been trying to keep a lookout for it, but there doesn't seem to be many places to even catch a peep on an update. If anyone knows anything about it or why it's behind schedule or if there's a first review, please let me know.

Besides all that, from what I've seen so far the Mapleshade Clearlink seems to be the best bargain. I am a little scared by the as described lesser lower end to it, though. I currently am lacking in that department and am looking to do what ever I can to fill it out and increase impact while retaining quality.

PS, those Enigma Tuning Bullets on the Synergistic Research Active SE USB link kind of seem like a load of bull****. Haha, I'm not sure how best else to describe my impression of them. Now I haven't looked into them at all, and I haven't demoed the cable, but can anyone explain what they are or how they actually modify the sound signature of the data-signal?

So there's no word on the old iFi Gemini USB cable yet, is there? I've been trying to keep a lookout for it, but there doesn't seem to be many places to even catch a peep on an update. If anyone knows anything about it or why it's behind schedule or if there's a first review, please let me know.

Besides all that, from what I've seen so far the Mapleshade Clearlink seems to be the best bargain. I am a little scared by the as described lesser lower end to it, though. I currently am lacking in that department and am looking to do what ever I can to fill it out and increase impact while retaining quality.

[/QUOTE]

My bass improved when I started using the Mapleshade power strip for the system, and their power cord for my DAC. No complaints now, in fact IMO it's improved from the AQ Coffee.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

PS, those Enigma Tuning Bullets on the Synergistic Research Active SE USB link kind of seem like a load of bull****. Haha, I'm not sure how best else to describe my impression of them. Now I haven't looked into them at all, and I haven't demoed the cable, but can anyone explain what they are or how they actually modify the sound signature of the data-signal?

Ben, the name sounds ridiculous, but I can assure you that there are differences. I have now idea as to how they work, but, dependeing on what you are looking for, they do change the sound. They also get VERY hot!

bang for buck, I really still think that the Clearlink is the way to go. As Jud said, the low end does improve with one of Mapleshade's Power Cords (also using one on my DAC), but then again, that's introducing another variable, so on it's own, the low end does lack in definition and timbre. If that's what you're lacking then maybe the Silver Starlight is more down your alley, but it's double the price and it doesn't have the clarity and transparency that the Clearlink Plus has.

Best regards

André

Speaking of USB cable comparissons:

USB Cable Shootout | AudioStream

fantastic! it's almost exactly what I felt in my comparision, but put in other words. I didn't have the Gallilleo on hand and also didn't feel the loss of any details with the black Enigma bullet, but I'd have to agree with all the rest. Like I said, different systems will prefer different cables.

Thanks for the link, Matias

I have been conducting USB shootouts for months now. I have had plenty and have one more to throw in the mix before I throw in the towel.

I gonna assume my system isn't revealing enough to hear the small details that the USB cables are making. I honestly only heard one major difference in my shootout , the rest I've been struggling to hear any.

My system is

Pioneer Elite SC-68 with a built in USB DAC , unique and first of it's kind. It's amazing how good it sounds compared to many other DAC's including Benchmark , Peachtree , Audioquest , Audioengine and the Dac Magic and Plus I have had.

Speakers are Definitive Technology Mythos ST which IMO are an incredible value for both Home theater and 2 channel listening.

I currently use many different speaker cables but right now I'm using Cardas Crosslinks as I love the way they perform.

Macbook Pro for computer music running Pure music with iTunes for high rez.

I'll spare the rest of the system as it pertains to HT with the exception of my Cambridge Audio 650BD player which I use for SACD and DVD audio and the occasional CD before it gets ripped Lossless.

USB cables.

Audioquest Forest

Audioquest Carbon

Audioquest Cinnamon

Cardas Clear

Custom built with voltage removed in pure silver and copper

Belkin high speed USB2.0

I also have a Rotel 1070 Integrated I use when I'm testing external DACs which is fun and nice sounding. The Pioneer really stands up for a receiver for 2 channel and has very nice power and dynamics.

I have heard a difference with all these cables in the custom built one that had to be rebuilt due to a flaw when building by the guy who built it. I knew right away something didn't sound quite right when I listened to that cable. I didn't know before hand he had to fix the cable but when he did , it must have changed the conductor as it sounds like it's missing info.

The Forest , Clear and Carbon all sound exactly the same. I have tried and tried to hear a difference and they are not in the same price classes as most of you already know.

The clear winner here IMO is the Forest being only 35 bucks and performs as good so far as the Carbon and Clear. Amazing as I have been testing cables for decades and always heard differences huge or small in the analog world. I'm having a much tuffer time with USB. I also think as I can't swap out and get music playing fast enough and maybe due to a little audio memory loss. I'm not sure but analog IC's or speaker cables I can hear right away.

I'm also thinking the Forest might be the sonic perfection my level of system is matched to.

Impressions? Comments? I can go into more detail if you wish.

I have been conducting USB shootouts for months now. I have had plenty and have one more to throw in the mix before I throw in the towel.

I gonna assume my system isn't revealing enough to hear the small details that the USB cables are making. I honestly only heard one major difference in my shootout , the rest I've been struggling to hear any.

My system is

Pioneer Elite SC-68 with a built in USB DAC , unique and first of it's kind. It's amazing how good it sounds compared to many other DAC's including Benchmark , Peachtree , Audioquest , Audioengine and the Dac Magic and Plus I have had.

Speakers are Definitive Technology Mythos ST which IMO are an incredible value for both Home theater and 2 channel listening.

I currently use many different speaker cables but right now I'm using Cardas Crosslinks as I love the way they perform.

I'll spare the rest of the system as it pertains to HT with the exception of my Cambridge Audio 650BD player which I use for SACD and DVD audio and the occasional CD before it gets ripped Lossless.

USB cables.

Audioquest Forest

Audioquest Carbon

Audioquest Cinnamon

Cardas Clear

Belkin high speed USB2.0

I also have a Rotel 1070 Integrated I use when I'm testing external DACs which is fun and nice sounding. The Pioneer really stands up for a receiver for 2 channel and has very nice power and dynamics.

I have heard a difference with all these cables in the custom built one that had to be rebuilt due to a flaw when building by the guy who built it. I knew right away something didn't sound quite right when I listened to that cable. I didn't know before hand he had to fix the cable but when he did , it must have changed the conductor as it sounds like it's missing info.

The Forest , Clear and Carbon all sound exactly the same. I have tried and tried to hear a difference and they are not in the same price classes as most of you already know.

The clear winner here IMO is the Forest being only 35 bucks and performs as good so far as the Carbon and Clear. Amazing as I have been testing cables for decades and always heard differences huge or small in the analog world. I'm having a much tuffer time with USB. I also think as I can't swap out and get music playing fast enough and maybe due to a little audio memory loss. I'm not sure but analog IC's or speaker cables I can hear right away.

I'm also thinking the Forest might be the sonic perfection my level of system is matched to.

Your honesty is refreshing. I totally agree about three aspects, the first being that cost-benefit ratio is a one-way street, the second that it all depends on the system, the third that there need be no difference. One of the things that building loudspeakers has taught me is that we audiophiles sometimes strain to hear a difference, which is why when I conducted listening tests during my projects, I'd always include "placebos" (= nothing changed), double-blind of course, that is, with and without warning the listeners.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

My system is

USB cables.

Audioquest Forest

Audioquest Carbon

Audioquest Cinnamon

Cardas Clear

Belkin high speed USB2.0

The 'Forest', that's what I found from my testing... Good results for the money invested.

The Truth Is Out There

I have been conducting USB shootouts for months now.

I say if it's good for you, then good for you!

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Your honesty is refreshing. I totally agree about three aspects, the first being that cost-benefit ratio is a one-way street, the second that it all depends on the system, the third that there need be no difference. One of the things that building loudspeakers has taught me is that we audiophiles sometimes strain to hear a difference, which is why when I conducted listening tests during my projects, I'd always include "placebos" (= nothing changed), double-blind of course, that is, with and without warning the listeners.

Greetings from Switzerland, David.

Honestly to me it's frustrating. I want the Carbon to be a superior sounding cable but honestly it's not so far. I have been running it in for a week now waiting for it to be fully broken in or run in depending on your view.

I think the problem is the fact that the Forest is built right. The conductors are placed correctly , good quality materials , proper termination and shorter then max length (1.5m , max is 5m ).

The Cardas Clear is also very well built and uses good quality materials. Cardas is a perfectionist company like Audioquest so you can rely on any cable made by either of them.

The Carbon just takes it to another level with the 5% silver plus the silver plated connectors. Now in the digital world at 1.5m , it doesn't seem to make any differences. It's also the most expensive cable I have.

After a fully test this cable , keep the others broken in by using them in a rotation , Im gonna conduct my shootout one more time then I'm done.

Side note , years ago I tested the hell out of optical vs Coax for digital and I have found they sound exactly the same as well. I have tested on some extremely high end systems with Dynaudio Speakers , Krell and even at those levels didn't hear anything different using the same DAC's and source. I have heard differences in using cables not built very well in coax and optical.

Honestly to me it's frustrating. I want the Carbon to be a superior sounding cable but honestly it's not so far. I have been running it in for a week now waiting for it to be fully broken in or run in depending on your view.

I think the problem is the fact that the Forest is built right. The conductors are placed correctly , good quality materials , proper termination and shorter then max length (1.5m , max is 5m ).

Heck, that's not a problem. Enjoy good sound at a lower price.

Side note , years ago I tested the hell out of optical vs Coax for digital and I have found they sound exactly the same as well. I have tested on some extremely high end systems with Dynaudio Speakers , Krell and even at those levels didn't hear anything different using the same DAC's and source.

That's a little surprising to me. Optical is not subject to electrical noise, but optical sources often produce more jitter, so it's interesting that those two possible distinctions should either not exist (e.g., clean power, low-jitter optical source) or balance each other fairly precisely.

I wanted to post my thoughts on the Vertere Pulse-R USB 1.5 meter

Vertere Acoustics Pulse R Double USB Interconnect Cable

Subtract 20%, since you do not pay a VAT tax outside the EU. I believe the cable was around $1250 USD. This replaced a defective Chord Sarum cable. The Sarum cable has since been redesigned and issue resolved. I would not hesitate to purchase one, especially if you use them for speaker and interconnects.

Both Vertere and Chord are stellar companies, and both bring my system close to live intimate living room performances. Previously I ran a Audioquest Cinnamon and did not hear any difference compared to a generic printer cable, in my system. This is not a negative point for Audioquest. Their Cinnamon CAT7 Ethernet cables did make a noticeable difference to my ears, but not as extreme as the USB cables mentioned here. Each of our systems are unique and exist in a unique environment.

If you are considering the Audioquest Diamond, you may want to trial the Vertere and pick what works best for your system. Custom Cable UK is customer oriented and stands by the products they sell. I recommend them highly.