IGNORED

USB cable comparisons

Couple new USB cables came out including a new line high end from Kimber cable and one consumer grade one from Harmonic Technology.

I tried the furutech, old Silver Kimber, Lat International, Synergystic Research, and none are better than the original USB cable that came with my sound card in Native instruments traktor, you see I'm a dj and my needs are greater because I mix music together. I bought the harmonic tech USB cable to test out and we'll see what happens. I doubt It'll improve anything.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

As a side note this comparison was done using MP3's, will come back and state a WAV status, already without burn in i can tell a difference. The furutech is louder and warmer than the basic USB cable that i been using, hmm.

Musician Setup

Black Mac Pro 2014 ->Lynx Hilo Thunderbolt ->Synergistic Research Thunderbolt Cable --> Harmonic Tech Magic Link 2 XLR --> Focal Twin BE 6's --> 2 Silent Source The Music Reference Power Cords --> LAT International Signature Power Cords --> Balanced Power Tech AC power Cord with Furutech Connects ->>Balanced Power AC Pure Power Center-->Dedicated AC line with PS Audio Soloist Limited Edition.

I just took the time to compare these two USB cables. I have to confess that initially it took me a while until I understood the basic differences. Once I understood it became easier to analyze and report their differences. Here are my final standings:

Purist Ultimate

• is overall darker
  • is more detailed
  • has more body
  • has more accurate LFs
  • has better HF decay
  • is on par with Diamond's soundstage placement
  • is as fast as the Diamond
  • has less ambience information
  • has better timbre
  • is overall more refined
  • has a lower noise floor

AudioQuest Diamond

• has more HF information
  • has more ambience
  • has a higher soundstage
  • is lighter
  • LFs sound slightly bloated compared to Ultimate
  • soundstage placement on par with Ultimate
  • same speed as Ultimate
  • timbres less accurate
  • less detailed

I confess that I thought that the Ultimate wouldn't better the Diamond. I had previously compared it to the Cantata's stock cable about two weeks ago and the differences were so small that I thought that it would be slaughtered when compared to the Diamond. Fact is that it takes FOREVER to burn in. Purist says that one should give it about 100 hours and that's why I thought the process was over a few weeks ago. I definitely wasn't thrilled after that period. Now I know that it needs to get at least 200-250 hours in order to show what it can do.

While comparing I found out why I initially had a little trouble in understanding the differences. I was missing the HF information that the Diamond was giving me, especially when it came to ambience. Once I figured that out it was easy to see that the Ultimate is the better and more refined cable. I guess I kind of like the way Silver reproduces HFs. I will miss the ambience information and maybe I'll be able to find what I'm missing in the Light Harmonic Lightspeed cable that I'll borrow later today, but there's no way that the Diamond and the Ultimate are on the same playing field.

OTOH, it's very probable that these kind of differences won't show up in less detailed and transparent setups so I don't necessarily believe that the Ultimate's strengths, which I mainly believe are due to it's lower noise floor, are going to be apparent in all systems. YMMV.

On a last note I must say that I played almost all my test tracks fully. That's a sign that I'm having dificulties in keeping the music from playing. I have spent more money on music in the last 4 months than I have in the last 4 years. Symptoms of a system that is playing beautifully. :D

LDMS Minix Server>Lampizator TRP w/ VC>Gryphon Diablo>Heil Kithara

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

I confess that I thought that the Ultimate wouldn't better the Diamond. I had previously compared it to the Cantata's stock cable about two weeks ago and the differences were so small that I thought that it would be slaughtered when compared to the Diamond. Fact is that it takes FOREVER to burn in. Purist says that one should give it about 100 hours and that's why I thought the process was over a few weeks ago. I definitely wasn't thrilled after that period. Now I know that it needs to get at least 200-250 hours in order to show what it can do.

Boy, you should be glad that you didn't post this here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/ultimate-double-blind-test-new-usb-cables-better-18096/ :)

BTW, I agree that most cables, including USB cables, only sound their best after they have been burned in. Contrarians, please, this thread is for people who believe in differences between USB cables and are seeking opinions based on those perceived differences.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Reverendo: Do I recall correctly that you also have/had a Mapleshade Clearlink in house? If so, how does it compare to the Purist?

Also, is the Purist a loan checked out from The Cable Co. or a dealer--or did you actually shell out $900+ plus for it based on reputation? Not really any of my business, but I let out a small gasp when I just checked the price.

Really glad you are still enjoying the Cantata. I am a fan of Jeff Kalt's designs--and of the PCM1704!

Cheers,

ALEX

Boy, you should be glad that you didn't post this here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f8-general-forum/ultimate-double-blind-test-new-usb-cables-better-18096/ :)

BTW, I agree that most cables, including USB cables, only sound their best after they have been burned in. Contrarians, please, this thread is for people who believe in differences between USB cables and are seeking opinions based on those perceived differences.

that's why this thread is kind of a safe haven. in my first post I tried to make that clear and people have been respectful of that up to now. ;)

Reverendo: Do I recall correctly that you also have/had a Mapleshade Clearlink in house? If so, how does it compare to the Purist?

Also, is the Purist a loan checked out from The Cable Co. or a dealer--or did you actually shell out $900+ plus for it based on reputation? Not really any of my business, but I let out a small gasp when I just checked the price.

Really glad you are still enjoying the Cantata. I am a fan of Jeff Kalt's designs--and of the PCM1704!

Cheers,

ALEX

Hi Alex,

I'm still loving the Cantata, though now I know where it's small short-comings are. Am also a little frustrated with the UPnP taking so long to be ready for end consumers.

A friend of mine bought the Ultimate for himself and didn't have the patience to burn it in so he sent them to me in order for me to suffer through that process. He's in no hurry to get them, so I took longer and glad I did. It's an insane price, but it's better than Diamond in my system. Am still hoping that I can find something that gives me the ambience that silver gives me without giving up on all the rest the Ultimate has brought to the table.

In regards to the Clearlink Plus: I sold it, since it was clearly inferior to the Diamond in my system and I was willing to cash out the extra bucks for that upgrade. It still is the best cost/benefit USB Cable that I know. Let's see if I can get an Ultimate for a special price now. Will have to send the Ultimate soon, since my friend's now heard of my listening impressions. :)

Cables: Douglas Cables 'Mirage'', (Power); Douglas Cables 'Mirage' (XLR); Douglas Cables "GLIA" (speaker cables & jumper); FTA Callisto (USB)

Accessories: Furutech GTX-D (G) with cover, MIT Z Duplex Super; Equitech Balanced Power, Sistrum (for Diablo & TRP)

...In regards to the Clearlink Plus: I sold it, since it was clearly inferior to the Diamond in my system and I was willing to cash out the extra bucks for that upgrade. It still is the best cost/benefit USB Cable that I know. Let's see if I can get an Ultimate for a special price now. Will have to send the Ultimate soon, since my friend's now heard of my listening impressions. :)

Thanks for clarifying that!

About the Clearlink plus, there are aslo some who have found it to be better than the Diamnond so I guess like always always, matching!

I also think about buying the Clearlink plus, but I am also willing to spend more bucks for a better result. But 1000 bucks is alot:) But in all this madness. I fully understand..hehe

Speakers: Monitor Audio Platinum PL200/PLC350/CPW GS/GXW15

Amplifier: ModWright KWI 200 - Yamaha RX-A 3020

DAC: Bryston BDA-1 - Berkley Alpha Design USB

HTPC: Mac Mini 2,6QC I7 256SSD 4GB ram

Cables: Chord super Epic Twin - Straight Wire AES/EBU - Mapleshade Plus USB - Taralabs Air RCA

Tweeks: Sort Kones BC

Excellent, detailed write up Reverendo. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on the Diamond vs. the Ultimate. I look forward to reading about your findings with respect to the Light Speed Harmonic usb, and how it compares to the other usb cables you auditioned.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

About the Clearlink plus, there are aslo some who have found it to be better than the Diamnond so I guess like always always, matching!

I also think about buying the Clearlink plus, but I am also willing to spend more bucks for a better result. But 1000 bucks is alot:) But in all this madness. I fully understand..hehe

+1 ... am curious to know how the Clearlink compares to the AQ Diamond.

@reverendo - would you characterize the differences as subtle or significant? Just curious...

Thanks, in advance.

"Play the volume as loud as you want - but don't touch my levels now. I got them set just the way I like 'em."

I haven't spent those bucks... yet! :)

the Clearlink Plus is a great cable, a cable that I'll be buying soon for my brother's system. OTOH, there was no area in my system were it wasn't bettered by the Diamond in my system as far as I can remember. They did not play in the same level, pretty much like the Diamond and the Ultimate do not play on the same level. YMMV, like always.

Excellent, detailed write up Reverendo. Thanks for taking the time to let us know your thoughts on the Diamond vs. the Ultimate. I look forward to reading about your findings with respect to the Light Speed Harmonic usb, and how it compares to the other usb cables you auditioned.

I had the chance to compare the Lightspeed to the Ultimate for 4 tracks until a few minutes ago. Then the family got home and one pleasure was replaced by another. :)

I won't give any first impressions just yet, since I think that the Lightspeed should settle in for a while. I'm not sure if I've understood the differences between both of them yet. The Diamond didn't need that because of it's DBS technology.

Let's see how this goes. I'll be updating at least with first impressions the next few days.

+1 ... am curious to know how the Clearlink compares to the AQ Diamond.

@reverendo - would you characterize the differences as subtle or significant? Just curious...

Thanks, in advance.

maybe these posts and the ones in between can help:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-cable-comparisons-14397/index8.html#post218692

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-cable-comparisons-14397/index9.html#post218983

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f6-dac-digital-analog-conversion/usb-cable-comparisons-14397/index9.html#post219960

Best regards

I'll cut to the chase:

Light Harmonic Lightspeed

• HFs seriously better than Ultimate, therefore ambience information is there and in all it's glory
  • more 3D. sometimes makes Ultimate sound 2D in comparison. I said "sometimes"!
  • has considerably more depth than Ultimate
  • has beautiful, beautiful HF decay
  • soundstage placement is almost spooky
  • is more detailed than Ultimate
  • has less body and weight than Ultimate

Purist Ultimate

• has more body and weight
  • is darker
  • soundstage placement is inferior to Lightspeed
  • takes a serious beating in HF decay

Of course everything is a matter of taste, but in this case the situation is almost a no-brainer, unless your system suffers of severe lack of body and weight. The Ultimate is a great USB cable, but the Lightspeed actually provided me with everything that I kind of felt that was lacking, especially in the HF and ambience department. What surprised me, apart from the fantastic ambience retrieval, was that it bettered the already fantastic levels of detail that the Ultimate brought to the table. Like always, YMMV, but probably not by much. ;)

The only question now is if I can bring myself to invest this kind of money in a USB cable. The results are there, but cost/benefit starts to kick in big time. Let's see if I can find a Lightspeed for a decent price.

Best regards

The only question now is if I can bring myself to invest this kind of money in a USB cable. The results are there, but cost/benefit starts to kick in big time. Let's see if I can find a Lightspeed for a decent price.

Thanks for the report. Now I have another reason to be glad I backed Light Harmonic's latest campaign (Geek Pulse: A Digital Audio Awesomifier for Your Desktop | Indiegogo) over at Indiegogo for the Geek Pulse desktop DAC/headphone amp: They hit a fundraising milestone and announced that all backers will be getting one of their upcoming Lightspeed Jr. cables for free. It is supposed to be almost the same design as the expensive one, but it does not have the separately housed power line. That's okay by me since my main system DAC does not need any USB power and I already tape off pins 1 and 4 at the computer end.

So Reverendo, perhaps you might consider waiting and buying a Lightspeed Jr. for $99 (don't know their ship date) and seeing how close it comes the pricey one.

Goodnight,

Alex C.

Thanks for the report. Now I have another reason to be glad I backed Light Harmonic's latest campaign (Geek Pulse: A Digital Audio Awesomifier for Your Desktop | Indiegogo) over at Indiegogo for the Geek Pulse desktop DAC/headphone amp: They hit a fundraising milestone and announced that all backers will be getting one of their upcoming Lightspeed Jr. cables for free. It is supposed to be almost the same design as the expensive one, but it does not have the separately housed power line. That's okay by me since my main system DAC does not need any USB power and I already tape off pins 1 and 4 at the computer end.

So Reverendo, perhaps you might consider waiting and buying a Lightspeed Jr. for $99 (don't know their ship date) and seeing how close it comes the pricey one.

Goodnight,

Alex C.

Alex,

Unfortunately my DAC needs the power line for the hand-shake, so I wouldn't be able to use it that way. Fact is, I believe that separating both may have a lot to do with the results. I'd like to see the Jr. against the Clearlink Plus that would be approx. it's price.

Alex,

Unfortunately my DAC needs the power line for the hand-shake, so I wouldn't be able to use it that way. Fact is, I believe that separating both may have a lot to do with the results. I'd like to see the Jr. against the Clearlink Plus that would be approx. it's price.

In my tests I compared the Clearlink Plus with the power leg cut and removed against the AudioQuest Diamond and the Lightspeed. The Clearlink Plus was the clear winner. I believe that removing the power leg really improved the quality of sound.

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable

In my tests I compared the Clearlink Plus with the power leg cut and removed against the AudioQuest Diamond and the Lightspeed. The Clearlink Plus was the clear winner. I believe that removing the power leg really improved the quality of sound.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Unfortunately I can't do that in my setup, but that's a very surprising result, making the Clearlink Plus an even better bargain.

Thanks for the info

I posted on a FaceBook thread about my experience - which is still evolving.

The Lightspeed here on test with my upgraded QB-9 is a surprisingly bigger difference than I would ever attribute to a simple USB cable change.

Once I power up the MBP and the handshake between the QB-9 and MBP occurs, I can disconnect the Lightspeed power cord completely. I concur with Reverendo's findings pretty much across the board. I did find it slightly thin. Don't know if this is a break-in thing or not.

Of course, I can address it with speaker set-up, but I'm curious to see if this one aspect changes with more time.

But it already is a far greater improvement than I believed was possible.

Don't know how much is the separate signal and how much might be the cable itself.

I am guessing the Ayre benefits from it due the fact that it no longer needs the 5V power in the USB cable.

FWIW - I'm not too interested in pursuing the why, I'm just enjoying the how...

Best,

Jim

Various speakers, electronics, cable, etc. on loan for manufacturers' evaluation.

More or less permanently in use:

Schiit Iggy (latest), Ayre QB-9 DSD, Ayre Codex, Uptone Audio ISO Regen/LPS-1 Power supply, Berkeley Audio Alpha USB, PS Audio LanRover, Small Green Computer, Sonore ultraRendu, gigaFOIL4 ethernet/optical filter - Keces PS-3 power supply, (3) MBPs - stripped down for music only,  AQ Diamond USB & Ethernet, Transparent USB, Curious USB, LH Lightspeed split USB, Halide USB DAC, Audirvana +, Pure Music, ASR Emitter II Exclusive Blue amp, Ayre K-5xeMP preamp, Pass X-1 preamp, Quicksilver Mid-Mono Amps, Pass XA-30.5 amp, Duelund ICs & Speaker Cables, Paul Hynes SR-7 power supply, Grand Prix Audio Monaco Isolation racks & F1 shelves, Tannoy Canterbury SEs w/custom Duelund crossovers and stands, 2 REL 212SEs, AV RoomService EVPs, ASC Tube Traps, tons of CDs, 30 IPS masters, LPs.

http://www.getbettersound.com

Dave, I guess that begs the logical question of how the Clearlink Plus compared to the AQ and Lightspeed prior to pulling the power leg.

And to carry it further, you could slip a narrow strip of business card stock (long and folder over so you can control it as you plug in) over the +5V contact of the computer end of the USB on the AQ. That way you can compare it versus the Clearlink on even footing.

(BTW, that is how I lift the leg on my current USB cable. Wait, that makes it sound like I am a dog peeing on it!)

Dave, I guess that begs the logical question of how the Clearlink Plus compared to the AQ and Lightspeed prior to pulling the power leg.

And to carry it further, you could slip a narrow strip of business card stock (long and folder over so you can control it as you plug in) over the +5V contact of the computer end of the USB on the AQ. That way you can compare it versus the Clearlink on even footing.

(BTW, that is how I lift the leg on my current USB cable. Wait, that makes it sound like I am a dog peeing on it!)

Sorry, I did not compare it to the light speed and the Diamond before I cut it.

Dave

Crystal Clear Music Tweaked Mac Mini / Yosemite -> JRiver 22 -> Ayre QB9DSD -> Bryston BP26DA -> Bryston 4BSST2 -> B&W 802Di | Transparent Reference XLRs, Transparent Super Speaker Cable, Maple Shade USB cable