IGNORED

sharing iTunes between Mac's

I am setup on a wireless Mac system consisting of the following:

Mac Mini using Snow Leopard;

Macbook Pro using Lion;

Mac Time Capsule;

iPad Mini and iPod Touch.

i use iTunes 11 on all.

My Mac Mini is being used strictly as a music server and is connected directly to my stereo system. I use my macbook pro as my everyday computer but it also has my iTunes library on it. My music consists of uncompressed CD rips as well as hi-rez files. I have Home Sharing enabled on each computer/device. I like to keep the same library on each computer and looking for the easiest way to do this. Due to some issues I've encountered transferring files (copy and paste) through my home sharing network, I usually rip to each computer separately. This is a major inconvenience. It would be great to have a way of it automatically and wirelessly updating one computer as music files/CD's are added to the other computer much the way iCloud works. When I initially set things up, I had my iTunes library on one computer and copied the whole works over to the other using an ethernet cable connected between computers. This worked well, but I prefer not having to do that each time I add a new CD to my library.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

You can use Airdrop to copy files from one machine to the other. It seems to be less wonky than copy-n-paste.

You might be able to script something using Automator (or AppleScript if Automator isn't versatile enough) that you run to update your MBP library, e.g. diff mm lib, copy files, add to MBP library.

Thanks. I should have noted that I'm no computer expert, so detailed instructions are usually necessary. Somehow I manage to work my way through things but I suspect mostly by luck rather than my knowledge.

You can use Airdrop to copy files from one machine to the other. It seems to be less wonky than copy-n-paste.

You might be able to script something using Automator (or AppleScript if Automator isn't versatile enough) that you run to update your MBP library, e.g. diff mm lib, copy files, add to MBP library.

2 ch: mac mini with Mavericks OSX, Audirvana+, JRiver MC19, Fidelia, iTunes with Bitplus, exaSound e20 DAC, Simaudio Supernova CDP, DSPeaker Anti-mode 2.0, Simaudio i7 amp, Anthony Gallo Ref 3.5 speakers, Woo Audio WA6 headphone amp, Sennheiser HD800 with Cardas cable.

HT: Pioneer Pro-151 Plasma, Anthem D2v pre/pro, Simaudio Titan 5ch amp, Oppo BDP-103 blu-ray player, Velodyne DD15 sub, Paradigm Signature S6/C3/S2's, Buttkicker tactile transducers.

Have you considered using your Time Capsule to store your music files? If you already use the built in hard disc on the time capsule for backup, you could connect a second (usb external hard drive) to it and use that.

From your description, if you're having trouble copying files from one computer to another across your wifi network, but have no problems when using an ethernet cable directly between computers, then there may be some problems with your wifi signal strength. This might be due to a faulty time capsule / router, but equally/more likely it is just not in the ideal place to transmit well. If you can, a few experiments will help sort this out.

BTW, if you go down this route, and even if you get a more reliable wifi network, I think it is still worth considering running a cable from your mac mini to the time capsule.

As for keeping your different music libraries in sync:

With all the music files on the time capsule, you don't need to re-rip separately on other computers, but you do still need to tell each computer about the new CDs you have just ripped. Some ideas:

1. Add the files manually. Your choice as to whether you set up itunes on each computer to copy added files or just to link to those on the time capsule.

2. Have a look around doug's scripts for iTunes for a script that will add some automation to point 1 (I use "Music Folder Files Not Added")

3. Try some third party software like (I think) iTunes Sync - I haven't used any of these, so maybe some other CA member could help out with recommendations.

4. Use the home sharing built in to iTunes, that lets you access one library from another (I suspect you already do this after a fashion)

Hi Bluemark -

The secret to this lies in the state of your metadata. (grin) Really - it does. :)

You can, with little effort, keep one copy of the media files (music, video, books, apps, whatever...) on a NAS capable device, such as your Mac Mini. You can also share the media files out over your network so that any other device can see them.

What you cannot do, at least as of today, is share the actual iTunes library file (which is a wee database) at the same time between more than one computer.

The best compromise I have found is to simply create a new iTunes library on each machine, pointing to the same media files on a shared disk.

All of which sounds pretty complex, but really, it isn't. So long as your metadata is clean. By clean, I mean you can re-import all the media files and they will import cleanly to a brand new never used iTunes database. On a modern Mac Mini, 50K tracks will import in about 10 minutes, or less, so it isn't a big deal to test this.

First, start iTunes by holding down the option key when you click on the iTunes icon. This will present you with a dialog box asking you to create a new library or choose an existing one. In this case, choose to create a new library and locate it somewhere else on your disk other than where your existing library is. Make a folder called "Temporary iTunes Library" or something like that. The name really doesn't matter.

Once the iTunes library is created, go into advanced settings and choose the location of your media files. Second, make sure to UNCHECK any options to have iTunes keep your library in order, and most especially, UNCHECK any option to move files as they are added to the iTunes library. You REALLY don't want this to happen. Double check that you have UNCHECKED those settings!

Now you have a nice empty iTunes library pointing to the media files, but with nothing at all in it yet. At this point, go to File-> Add to Library and select the media file and let iTunes import all the tracks. It will not move your existing files, or change them in any way. This means you can always start iTunes witht he Option key held down, and choose your old library again, and everything will be just the same as it was. :)

When iTunes finishes importing, check that it has the same number of albums, tracks, and such as the master/original library. If it does, and all the albums look right, all the album artwork is there, and such, then your metadata is pretty good and you can proceed onto the next steps.

Those steps would simply be sharing the media library on your network, and doing the same steps noted above on each remote machine, but pointing the media location to the shared network drive.

If there are significant differences, then you need to spend some time editing the metadata of your media files. You can do this with iTunes or with a tool like XLD. I use XLD because I also embed the artwork in each file, along with the metadata for the track.

End result, multiple iTunes Libraries, each with the same media files. The downsides are when you add new tracks to the main library (storing them as appropriate in the media location) then you either need to copy the master iTunes library around to each client (changing the media location and being sure to UNCHECK the options to keep the library organized and move media files) or drop all the tracks in the remote library and add them all from the remote media library again.

The alternative strategies, if your media library is small enough, is to simply make full copies of the media libraries, generate individual iTunes libraries, and use Home Sharing and a bit of manual manipulation to keep them in synch. From a client library, choose the main library, select it to show "files not in my local library", and then import all the files that are missing. It will, in this case, copy them over the network and insert them into your local media library and into the iTunes database.

All this is, however, a bit clumsy. You can of course, play all the music from your main library from any iTunes instance with home sharing, or from an iPad, ATV, or iPhone, again with home sharing.

Lots of options. Hope these are not too terribly confusing. I actually work with the options above and with a few others. iTunes isn't perfect along these lines, and other applications are better suited to a single point share. Vortexbox and Linux mpd based players do this almost naturally. Chris has J. River doing it perfectly, but I have not managed that feat yet. :)

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you. I typed this quickly, so don't hesitate to call me out on any issues.

-Paul

I am setup on a wireless Mac system consisting of the following:

Mac Mini using Snow Leopard;

Macbook Pro using Lion;

Mac Time Capsule;

iPad Mini and iPod Touch.

i use iTunes 11 on all.

My Mac Mini is being used strictly as a music server and is connected directly to my stereo system. I use my macbook pro as my everyday computer but it also has my iTunes library on it. My music consists of uncompressed CD rips as well as hi-rez files. I have Home Sharing enabled on each computer/device. I like to keep the same library on each computer and looking for the easiest way to do this. Due to some issues I've encountered transferring files (copy and paste) through my home sharing network, I usually rip to each computer separately. This is a major inconvenience. It would be great to have a way of it automatically and wirelessly updating one computer as music files/CD's are added to the other computer much the way iCloud works. When I initially set things up, I had my iTunes library on one computer and copied the whole works over to the other using an ethernet cable connected between computers. This worked well, but I prefer not having to do that each time I add a new CD to my library.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Hi Bluemark -

The secret to this lies in the state of your metadata. (grin) Really - it does. :)

You can, with little effort, keep one copy of the media files (music, video, books, apps, whatever...) on a NAS capable device, such as your Mac Mini. You can also share the media files out over your network so that any other device can see them.

What you cannot do, at least as of today, is share the actual iTunes library file (which is a wee database) at the same time between more than one computer.

The best compromise I have found is to simply create a new iTunes library on each machine, pointing to the same media files on a shared disk.

All of which sounds pretty complex, but really, it isn't. So long as your metadata is clean. By clean, I mean you can re-import all the media files and they will import cleanly to a brand new never used iTunes database. On a modern Mac Mini, 50K tracks will import in about 10 minutes, or less, so it isn't a big deal to test this.

First, start iTunes by holding down the option key when you click on the iTunes icon. This will present you with a dialog box asking you to create a new library or choose an existing one. In this case, choose to create a new library and locate it somewhere else on your disk other than where your existing library is. Make a folder called "Temporary iTunes Library" or something like that. The name really doesn't matter.

Once the iTunes library is created, go into advanced settings and choose the location of your media files. Second, make sure to UNCHECK any options to have iTunes keep your library in order, and most especially, UNCHECK any option to move files as they are added to the iTunes library. You REALLY don't want this to happen. Double check that you have UNCHECKED those settings!

Now you have a nice empty iTunes library pointing to the media files, but with nothing at all in it yet. At this point, go to File-> Add to Library and select the media file and let iTunes import all the tracks. It will not move your existing files, or change them in any way. This means you can always start iTunes witht he Option key held down, and choose your old library again, and everything will be just the same as it was. :)

When iTunes finishes importing, check that it has the same number of albums, tracks, and such as the master/original library. If it does, and all the albums look right, all the album artwork is there, and such, then your metadata is pretty good and you can proceed onto the next steps.

Those steps would simply be sharing the media library on your network, and doing the same steps noted above on each remote machine, but pointing the media location to the shared network drive.

If there are significant differences, then you need to spend some time editing the metadata of your media files. You can do this with iTunes or with a tool like XLD. I use XLD because I also embed the artwork in each file, along with the metadata for the track.

End result, multiple iTunes Libraries, each with the same media files. The downsides are when you add new tracks to the main library (storing them as appropriate in the media location) then you either need to copy the master iTunes library around to each client (changing the media location and being sure to UNCHECK the options to keep the library organized and move media files) or drop all the tracks in the remote library and add them all from the remote media library again.

The alternative strategies, if your media library is small enough, is to simply make full copies of the media libraries, generate individual iTunes libraries, and use Home Sharing and a bit of manual manipulation to keep them in synch. From a client library, choose the main library, select it to show "files not in my local library", and then import all the files that are missing. It will, in this case, copy them over the network and insert them into your local media library and into the iTunes database.

All this is, however, a bit clumsy. You can of course, play all the music from your main library from any iTunes instance with home sharing, or from an iPad, ATV, or iPhone, again with home sharing.

Lots of options. Hope these are not too terribly confusing. I actually work with the options above and with a few others. iTunes isn't perfect along these lines, and other applications are better suited to a single point share. Vortexbox and Linux mpd based players do this almost naturally. Chris has J. River doing it perfectly, but I have not managed that feat yet. :)

Good luck - let us know what you decide to do and how it works out for you. I typed this quickly, so don't hesitate to call me out on any issues.

-Paul

Paul:

Thanks so much for the suggestions. When I find time after the Christmas rush is over, I will try to absorb them and see what I dare try. My library consists of roughly 1500 song, so extensive enough I guess. Certainly extensive enough that I don't want to mess things up such that I would need to reload all my music. That has happened to me once and took me forever to reload them all. Because of that, I'm a bit hesitant to be too experimental with things out of my league. It would be so nice to have a central database of my music like the suggestion of using my time capsule and having my computers pull the music from it when required for playback. Like I said, I will wait for things to calm down after the holidays and see what I dare try. Thanks again!

Have you considered using your Time Capsule to store your music files? If you already use the built in hard disc on the time capsule for backup, you could connect a second (usb external hard drive) to it and use that.

From your description, if you're having trouble copying files from one computer to another across your wifi network, but have no problems when using an ethernet cable directly between computers, then there may be some problems with your wifi signal strength. This might be due to a faulty time capsule / router, but equally/more likely it is just not in the ideal place to transmit well. If you can, a few experiments will help sort this out.

BTW, if you go down this route, and even if you get a more reliable wifi network, I think it is still worth considering running a cable from your mac mini to the time capsule.

As for keeping your different music libraries in sync:

With all the music files on the time capsule, you don't need to re-rip separately on other computers, but you do still need to tell each computer about the new CDs you have just ripped. Some ideas:

1. Add the files manually. Your choice as to whether you set up itunes on each computer to copy added files or just to link to those on the time capsule.

2. Have a look around doug's scripts for iTunes for a script that will add some automation to point 1 (I use "Music Folder Files Not Added")

3. Try some third party software like (I think) iTunes Sync - I haven't used any of these, so maybe some other CA member could help out with recommendations.

4. Use the home sharing built in to iTunes, that lets you access one library from another (I suspect you already do this after a fashion)

Thanks. I've considered using my time capsule for that purpose, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. It certainly makes a lot of sense to me rather than taking up so much memory on my two computers. I will try to have a better look at things after the Christmas rush is over.