IGNORED

CAPS v3 CPU Question

Hi all. Long-time lurker, first time poster! First off, I just want to say thanks to Chris and all of you folks for all the fantastic work you do daily on this site. It's been a tremendous help to me as I've started to dip my toes back into the world of computer audio. I'm a confirmed vinyl junkie and audiophile in real life, but I'm looking forward to playing around with a digital front-end again.

In fact, I've followed the plans for Topanga, with some minor modifications, and am now up and running with my first headless music server! (Note: I'll plan to post some more about the process of building this thing and my experience with it once I've had a chance to play around a bit more.)

For the moment, I have one question... I've got my server up and running and have placed it right on top of my Benchmark Dac-1. It actually looks really nice, with the Topanga case matching the color and width (less depth!) of the Benchmark. But for those who know the Benchmark, you also know how hot it runs...

I've checked the CPU temp of the Atom processor over the first day or two of having it running, and it's never gotten higher than 47C. Some data scoured from the interwebs suggests that an operating temperature up to 50C is normal.

What do you guys think about running at 47C?

How hot does your CPU run on the DN2800MT board?

I'll find an alternate way to set up the server and dac if need be, but it looks so cool like this! Thanks in advance for your help!

CPUs are OK up to 70C, more than that you may start suffering freezes, crashes, etc.

So you are OK at 47C, no need to worry. :)

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Well I want to build a CAPS as well. I'm almost ready to order the parts but I want to make sure this Intell 2800 Atom board Chris recommends, will run Linux absolutely 100% no probs and I can't find a suitable alternative board, so I'm sitting tight on this till I clarify..

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

CPUs are OK up to 70C, more than that you may start suffering freezes, crashes, etc.

So you are OK at 47C, no need to worry. :)

In fact as I recall 2800 atom can run even hotter up to 100C, but the core temp is not the only parameter you need to follow. The SSD temperature is also necessary to measure as well as the board's temp in general. With msata drive installed it may actually get hotter than with SSD. So ensure reasonable ambient temperature in your listening room to prevent any issues.

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables