IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

On 6/9/2017 at 3:33 AM, wklie said:

There are a number of users using the BNC output of Lumin S1 / A1 / T1 / D1 for connection with an external DAC with good results.

If your DAC supports DoP over SPDIF, you need to turn on the DoP option in Lumin settings for DSD playback.  (Note this disables Lumin analog output of DSD.)

If your DAC does not support DoP over SPDIF, you may turn on DSD to PCM conversion.

There has been much discussion about external DACs and the Lumin. I don't currently use an external DAC with my A1, and I love the music presentation I currently get out my A1, especially when streaming Tidal. I have ripped all my CDs to a network server, but rarely listen to them anymore. 

Can you recommend a DAC that would definitely improve the already tremendous sound quality I get from my A1? 

I cannot recommend the use of DAC from other manufacturers (although that's possible due to the BNC-SPDIF output) instead of the internal DAC built into Lumin players.  :$

I can recommend the use of Lumin balanced analog outputs, because Lumin uses a true balanced design.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

For those who have a Qobuz Sublime+ subscription, Lumin app 6.0.9 displays a Hi-Res logo for the Hi-Res albums.

http://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/plans/music-streaming-subscription

Please note that:
1. Qobuz classifies any 24-bit music as Hi-Res, so 24/44.1 is also Hi-Res.
2. Owing to licensing restrictions, a few Hi-Res albums available for purchase from Qobuz may become 16/44.1 during streaming.
3. Owing to licensing restrictions, a few Hi-Res albums may not be allowed to stream at all. These are meant for you to purchase from Qobuz via Qobuz website or Qobuz app.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On June 12, 2017 at 2:55 PM, hcalland said:

There has been much discussion about external DACs and the Lumin. 

Can you recommend a DAC that would definitely improve the already tremendous sound quality I get from my A1? 

I use a Bakoon DAC-21 with the Lumin D1.

It's absolutely fabulous.

It's better than the S1 that I owned.

The SPDIF output on the D1 is very good. 

An elegant streaming solution with a small footprint.

Waversa hub > Lumin S1 > Bakoon HPA-21

I also tried Roon using a Sonic Transporter (with a linear power supply) as a Roon server.

I was using a stock ethernet cable for the Sonic Transporter,  but there was no question, the Lumin sounds better in my system without Roon.

4 hours ago, skyline said:

I was using a stock ethernet cable for the Sonic Transporter,  but there was no question, the Lumin sounds better in my system without Roon.

Have you retried Roon (if you're still subscribed to it) with Roon Build 234 and Lumin Firmware 8.04?

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 3 weeks later...

For those who are considering to purchase Lumin D1 to be used with a LPS such as this:

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/lumin-d1-audiophile-network-music-player/

Please be aware that after the currently available units of Lumin D1 are sold, future production will switch to an internal switched power supply, because Lumin has received customer feedback saying having an external power supply for D1 is inconvenient, and they prefer an internal power supply.  Using an internal switched power supply would mean eliminating the possibility of convenient external LPS upgrade.

This production change does not apply to other models in the Lumin product line.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Hi everyone

It has been now few days I'm experiencing an issue in the use of the Tidal streaming via the LUMIN S1 with the LUMIN app.

Unfortunately even the kind people from Pixel Magic was not able to help me. This is the reason I'm posting publicly the issue here, hoping someone will help.

Basically in the Tidal homepage in the LUMIN app (the one with the Genres, My Music, What's New, etc folders) I see the Masters folder but there is no cover piatire on it and when I enter it is completely empty.

Until few days ago everything was fine...

Master albums are accessibile from each single artist, btw

Also Masters folder is available in I look for it in the Tidal app or in the Tidal desktop software.

i tried evrything qnd also wklie suggestions (turning off the LUMIN, the router, the app, reinstalling the app....) without success.

Is anyone else experiencing in Europe (Italy) succ issue?

Has anyone succesfully worked it out?

Thanks and regards

Fabio

@fabiodeluca one more thing to try: if your WiFi router supports both 2.4GHz and 5GHz, make sure the two bands have different SSID.  In your iPad, try connecting to each manually and see if it behaves the same.

You can also try another WiFi router if you can borrow one.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Lumin app shows info: flac 16/44.1 during playback of all masters albums from Tidal. Is it correct?

Although mconnect app shows info: flac 24/48 for example for deep purple's masters album "In Concert". 

I have iPad pro for CPs and Linn Klimax DS as renderer .

Lumin app only reports the format from the renderer - this is a limitation of your renderer (Linn).   If you have not read what Linn has to say about MQA, here it is (FYI only, I do not agree with this article):

https://www.linn.co.uk/blog/mqa-is-bad-for-music

If you use Lumin app with the current firmware of Lumin renderers or Esoteric N-05 or TEAC NR-7CD, you'll see 24/48 or 24/44.1 from Tidal Masters.  Lumin has been working on getting MQA certification for months.  In the future when Lumin releases MQA firmware Lumin app would show the MQA sample rate (from 44.1kHz to 384kHz).

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

17 hours ago, wklie said:

Lumin app only reports the format from the renderer - this is a limitation of your renderer (Linn).   If you have not read what Linn has to say about MQA, here it is (FYI only, I do not agree with this article)

Me too!  I call it stubbornness as well as in the matter of DSD.

One more question. Searching for cyrillic don't work in Tidal in Lumin app although it work in Kazoo. Can this be fixed?

On July 5, 2017 at 1:03 AM, wklie said:

Please be aware that after the currently available units of Lumin D1 are sold, future production will switch to an internal switched power supply, because Lumin has received customer feedback saying having an external power supply for D1 is inconvenient, and they prefer an internal power supply.  Using an internal switched power supply would mean eliminating the possibility of convenient external LPS upgrade.

Wow, I use the digital out with the D1 (and an LPS).

Sounds fabulous.

Too bad Lumin is moving to an internal switching power supply for convenience. 

I would not want to add a switching power supply to my mains.

Hi, I purchased the D1 about two years ago, toyed around with an external power source, and eventually sold the D1 and external power source for the A1. 

I think the D1 sounds great. However, I couldn't do a side by side comparison as I sold the D1 and shipping it before purchasing the A1, but I can't say I heard a huge increase in fidelity. Obviously there is some, as the A1 is 3x the cost of the D1. 

The A1 is sexy in appearance, larger and has an external power source, a big plus in my decision to purchase it over the D1. 

Herb

2 minutes ago, hcalland said:

Hi, I purchased the D1 about two years ago, toyed around with an external power source, and eventually sold the D1 and external power source for the A1. 

I think the D1 sounds great. However, I couldn't do a side by side comparison as I sold the D1 and shipping it before purchasing the A1, but I can't say I heard a huge increase in fidelity. Obviously there is some, as the A1 is 3x the cost of the D1. 

The A1 is sexy in appearance, larger and has an external power source, a big plus in my decision to purchase it over the D1. 

Herb

Thanks Herb.

I also use an external LPS (MCRU LDA, made here in UK) with the D1, which gives it a boost.

A complicating factor with my setup is that I've also played with sending the digital coax output from the D1 to a Chord 2Qute DAC. This does, on balance, I think improve on the D1 on its own, although it may be more down to a different ' presentation', rather than a simple boost in performance. The 'jury's still out' with this, as the Chord has a very explicit, dense presentation, and I think the more 'laid back' presentation of the D1 appeals for some listening.

I did think about getting an A1 to replace both the D1 & 2Qute, if the performance gains are there.

On 7/15/2017 at 10:44 AM, kelly200269 said:

Anyone got any views on the D1 vs the A1?

I absolutely adore my D1, but since I've shifted most of my music listening to steaming/Qobuz (and the L1 is superb with the D1, BTW!), I'm wondering what sort of improvement I'd get by moving up to an A1?

I've got the D1 and the A1, with my external power supply my D1 sounds just as nice as the A1 and a whole lot less in cash outlay.

The Truth Is Out There