IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

I already answered "why HDMI" question.

LUMIN does not support DSD128.

The USB port is for firmware upgrade. In the future, it may be possible to play music file on a directly connected USB storage.

Think of LUMIN as a audiophile SA/CD player. Instead of playing a physical disc, it plays all types of audiophile music files on a networked server.

In term of traditional DAC+USB/FW/SPDIF+PC/MAC+iTunes/other softplayer, think of LUMIN is all of those devices/components combined, with the music files on a networked storage device (a NAS for example).

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Do not misunderstand the product looks really great, but I was thinking of an upgrade of the lumin, in the DAC with one of the above.

I really like this product but I do not love the analog stages with operational amplifiers and thought at a later time to combine it with the series 5 Playback Design with discrete analog stage.

Tonino

Thanks for the interest! :)

LUMIN is a dedicated network music player. The real power of LUMIN is it's DAC circuit and analog output stage.

A friend sold his Antelope Eclipse 384 DAC + lsochrone 10M Clock and now using only LUMIN with a better sound.

Another friend with a full (4 boxes) set of dCS Scarlatti also likes the LUMIN better.

It is likely that you may find the LUMIN alone sounds better than your whole digital chain.

Too bad the app is disappointing!

BTW, would you be so kind to answer:

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/lumin-ipad-controller-app-13869/#post191701

Thanks for trying LUMIN app. LUMIN app is still in early functional stage and under heavy development. All the functions you mentioned are already planned will be added soon.

In the meantime, you can use Kinsky, or other UPnP controller app such as PlugPlayer, SongBook Lite, or even foobar2000 with UPnP plugin to control the LUMIN player. That's the beauty of using a open protocol for a network music player.

Glad to see you here, Kevin! :)

Please update LUMIN app to the latest version 1.1.1 (released yesterday). There is a "Idle Sleep" option in the LUMIN settings. Get it to 15mins or 1hour, then LUMIN will go to standby when no music is played in the timeout. When select a song to play again the LUMIN will auto wakeup.

Or you can always physically turn off the LUMIN via it's power supply unit front switch. It'll take around 15seconds to turn on. And the last playlist and current song will be restored.

Hello psme

I wanted to have information about Lumin , I saw the photos on the site avbuzz I wondered what hides the 'heat sink and I was wondering if there are hardware upgrades.

In the upper part of the printed circuit board near the conector mass is seen space for a further processor.

In case you have also designed a version of the Lumin without the part related to DAC leaving to the user the choice of the DAC as it deems most appropriate I really like the Audio Research Reference DAC with analog stage valve.

Tonino

But I am also struck by the DSD Playback Design DAC 5 series with discrete analog stage in the next few days I have to go listen to the two products being compared.

I'd like a DAC that would bring together the advantages of both, digital section of the Playdack Design and analog stage valve.

And then I want to hear comparing the merits and defects of the two DAC is a staunch supporter of the great importance they have on the sound stages analog well designed.

Tonino

hi Tonino,

The chips under the heatsink is the CPU chips. The space on the circuit board was originally for a DAB chips. But in the development phase we found that it's hard to totally eliminate RF noise which may affect the sound quality of other component. In the end the DVB function was not added in order to provide the highest audiophile performance.

LUMIN uses a pair of Wolfson WM8741 DAC chips. You can see the DAC chips in avbuzz's photos. We evaluated a few DAC chips. The WM8741 is a proven technology with upto 384khz/32bit PCM decode and native DSD 2.8Mhz support. The most important job is in the implementation (both digital and analog) and the result speaks for itself!

A friend with a EMMLab SACD player now use the LUMIN because the same DSD file ripped from his SACD sounds much better than the real SACD disc playing on his SACD player!

Last Sunday I helped a friend setup his LUMIN because the sound is better than his Wadia Series 9 decoding computer!

I understand (audiophile) sound quality is very much personal. I believe the LUMIN can hold it's own place! Try it and you may like it! :)

pmse: I'm assuming from your comments that you are the developer / manufacturer / seller of the LUMIN. If so can I just make a couple of comments on your posts.

First off, welcome to ComputerAudiophile.com I'm sure you'll find we're a friendly lot. Having said that many commercial interests have found we can be a prickly bunch when people try to promote their products beyond answering questions we have. On that note I think that comments you make similar to these in your last post don't really wash here...

A friend with a EMMLab SACD player now use the LUMIN because the same DSD file ripped from his SACD sounds much better than the real SACD disc playing on his SACD player!

Last Sunday I helped a friend setup his LUMIN because the sound is better than his Wadia Series 9 decoding computer!

I understand (audiophile) sound quality is very much personal. I believe the LUMIN can hold it's own place! Try it and you may like it! :)

While I have no reason to doubt these examples, they are rather close to self promotion and you may find such comments backfire on you. Give us the facts and the opportunity to test the LUMIN and leave it at that (the third paragraph I quoted is okay actually and does just that).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Hello psme

I'm not questioning the quality of the Wolfson DAC but want to put a DSD DAC made ​​discrete as the Playback Design MPD-5 (considered by many the best DSD DAC) with discrete analog stage.

I wanted to add another detail inside the Playback Design MPD-5, the signals are converted to PCM DSD is true he does also the DCS but not with the same ease of MPD-5 Playback Design

Perhaps it is my own limitation but I have a deep hatred for analog circuits operational stages.

Seeing as it is realized Lumin (with two separate tabs one for the digital and one for the DAC analog section) I think it's important to give you the chance to choose the DAC.

In the production phase should not be difficult to have a version only with digital outputs, basically it is to remove a card and make a new rear panel.

Happy New Year

Tonino

Thanks for the reminder! :)

Some people are (naturally) asking sound quality of the LUMIN. It'd be really weird if I use some colorful description on sound quality on my own. That's why I simple quote some of the setups/examples that the LUMIN are in use. Yes it does sound very much self promotion from another angle! I'm sorry about that and will try to not touch on similar comment.

On the other hand, I don't really understand how those example setup will "backfire" on me.

Seeing as it is realized Lumin (with two separate tabs one for the digital and one for the DAC analog section) I think it's important to give you the chance to choose the DAC.

In the production phase should not be difficult to have a version only with digital outputs, basically it is to remove a card and make a new rear panel.

Happy New Year

Tonino

The problem is in the high bitrate PCM and DSD bitstream output. The common interface SPDIF is only up to 192khz/24bit. And there is no other common interface for DSD bitstream besides HDMI. Even with DSD bitstream on HDMI, there is no audiophile grade DAC with HDMI input for DSD bitstream that I know of. Basically, it's a dead end!

LUMIN is NOT a regular PC/Mac. USB output of 384khz/32bit PCM and DoP over USB is not an option.

Well, if you can only consider a PC/Mac to external DAC with a USB connection, then obviously LUMIN is not that kind of product!

Hello psme

In the design phase was definitely recommended to do a market survey and make sure what was the standard of the market (DSD) has designed entirely your product was definitely more 'necessary to provide the Lumin with a USB digital output to the DSD format.

That your product is not 'a pc or a mac is clearly seen.

Returning to the DSD seems to me that using the USB connection there is no problem of bandwidth in the DAC Playback Design file handle up to 6.1 Mhz.

Tonino

Hi psme

In your promo of your product (and congrats on the product) you stated it was a replacement for an SACD player.

With all due respects not quite (yet)

Quality SACD players reached the point of multichannel DSD. That is straight pure DSD with no conversion to PCM. With outputs via analog 7.1. This avoided the PCM conversion required for HDMI and inherent jitter problems of the interface.

The other benchmark achieved with SACD players was 100% guaranteed playback of multichannel (or stereo for that matter ) no stuttering or streaming problems: because the source tracks where on a disc.

So im amazed someone doesn't build a true SACD equivalent player with inbuilt 940 GB SSD, or esata or thunderbolt for similar attached storage expansion. And 7.1 analog output. Then I'll buy one.

As I said if just streaming these DSD files was easy , i think Linn would have already done it.

And Yeh I know folks demand HDMI, but that doesn't mean it's the best interface....

Anyway you can't say it's a full replacemt for an SACD player until you offer the additional features IMHO

But thanks for the product. It's a great first step!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ so maybe we'll see the multi channel LumixII one day???

Bring it on. ! And thanks and congrats on your exciting new product!

The more DSD capable players (and now streamers) the better!

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

^ ok. Well maybe you didn't precisely say it was a replacemt for an SACD player...But you did say "think of it as an audiophile SACD player" :) anyway.... Good luck with your product. Nice work !

Hi psme

In your promo of your product (and congrats on the product) you stated it was a replacement for an SACD player.

With all due respects not quite (yet)

Quality SACD players reached the point of multichannel DSD. That is straight pure DSD with no conversion to PCM. With outputs via analog 7.1. This avoided the PCM conversion required for HDMI and inherent jitter problems of the interface.

The other benchmark achieved with SACD players was 100% guaranteed playback of multichannel (or stereo for that matter ) no stuttering or streaming problems: because the source tracks where on a disc.

So im amazed someone doesn't build a true SACD equivalent player with inbuilt 940 GB SSD, or esata or thunderbolt for similar attached storage expansion. And 7.1 analog output. Then I'll buy one.

As I said if just streaming these DSD files was easy , i think Linn would have already done it.

The $20k (or is it $30k?) EMMLab SACD player has only 2 channels output. I guess in your opinion it is not really a SACD player? :)

As for streaming DSD is easy... well, I say it's very hard. LUMIN has it done, others haven't!

Well that's great to here that you've nailed it. Go for it man! I guess you've also mentioned youve got that USB external storage upgrade happening later to. So all bases covered. :)

hmm...they do look a bit similar. I guess great mind think alike? :) DAC circuit design usually started with reference board design, change this layout, add that component, something like that for the final style. It's lots of trial and error alone the way. The Lundahl transformer idea was first come it's usage in Jeff Rowland gears I think. I really like the sound signature through those transformer, sounds very smooth and analog like, great extension at both end. Sort of like a solid state tube! :)