IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

`

"The World's first Universal Audiophile Network Music Player!"

I know what a Network Music Player is, but what's a Universal Audiophile?

I think you split it wrongly...

It's Universal as it plays DSD as well as FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc.

I guess it's a competitor to Linn and Naim and PS Audio (Bridge).

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

`

"The World's first Universal Audiophile Network Music Player!"

I know what a Network Music Player is, but what's a Universal Audiophile?

I think you split it wrongly...

It's Universal as it plays DSD as well as FLAC, WAV, AIFF, etc.

I guess it's a competitor to Linn and Naim and PS Audio (Bridge).

Eloise

Eloise,

I'm not as green as I'm cabbage-looking. ;)

All the best,

John.

1975. First separates system: Leak 2001 Transcription Turntable + Leak 2000 Tuner Amplifier + Leak 2020 Loudspeakers

I've owned a Linn DS for a couple of years now. Over on the Linn forum a debate has raged on/off about why Linn has not added DSD, and the merrits for against etc. Needless to say Linn thinks it is too hard. Frankly I've never been 100% happy even network streaming 24/192 PCM...

Basically I think these hi end network streaming protagonist should go back to the drawing board and offer a player than plays these hi end tracks straight off an internal SSD/SSD's and at least offer Async USB in addition to streaming (out) files

Until I see such a player I'll wait thanks. the Bryston BDP-2 is close, but not happy with the listed file support.. Until then...... later

New simplified setup: STEREO- Primary listening Area: Cullen Circuits Mod ZP90> Benchmark DAC1>RotelRKB250 Power amp>KEF Q Series. Secondary listening areas: 1/ QNAP 119P II(running MinimServer)>UPnP>Linn Majik DSI>Linn Majik 140's. 2/ (Source awaiting)>Invicta DAC>RotelRKB2100 Power amp>Rega's. Tertiary multiroom areas: Same QNAP>SMB>Sonos>Various. MULTICHANNEL- MacMini>A+(Standalone mode)>Exasound e28 >5.1 analog out>Yamaha Avantage Receiver>Pre-outs>Linn Chakra power amps>Linn Katan front and sides. Linn Trikan Centre. Velodyne SPL1000 Ultra

I do like the look and design. My concern is the lack of flexibility. There do not appear to be any digital inputs. So this would be a stand alone network player and nothing more.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Thanks for the interest! :)

LUMIN is a dedicated network music player. The real power of LUMIN is it's DAC circuit and analog output stage.

A friend sold his Antelope Eclipse 384 DAC + lsochrone 10M Clock and now using only LUMIN with a better sound.

Another friend with a full (4 boxes) set of dCS Scarlatti also likes the LUMIN better.

It is likely that you may find the LUMIN alone sounds better than your whole digital chain.

associated with LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

PSMe, I sent you a PM. :)

Questions for this thread:

1) I use a Synology DS410 NAS for simple file serving with my Windows 8 music server and Meitner DSD-capable MA-1 DAC. I see that the Synology is a good fit with Lumin as it can be configured easily for Lumin's UPnP server. However, i also see that the software, Minimserver, can be installed on a Windows (or Linux or MAC) box. Which would be the best sonically for a setup like mine (i.e minimserver on Synology or on Windows box, with Synology used how??).

2) the free Lumin iPad app looks very nice. I currently use jremote (iPad) with j River so this apradigm is nice, and familiar (also used Apple remote and Linux MPD's mPad). If I were to "pre-configure" or play with setup of the NAS and the iPad app would it mess with my folder structure already in place on the NAS that J RIver is pointed to? I would not want to mess with my production setup. Thanks

LUMIN is a dedicated network music player. The real power of LUMIN is it's DAC circuit and analog output stage.

A friend sold his Antelope Eclipse 384 DAC + lsochrone 10M Clock and now using only LUMIN with a better sound.

Another friend with a full (4 boxes) set of dCS Scarlatti also likes the LUMIN better.

It is likely that you may find the LUMIN alone sounds better than your whole digital chain.

If the DAC section is so good it is a shame there are not more inputs.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

If the DAC section is so good it is a shame there are not more inputs.

LUMIN plays audio files, from mp3 to DSD, 44.1khz to 384khz/32bit. IMO there is no shame in that!

I've most of my music in files, including SACD (PS3 rip) and vinyl rip in DSD using a KORG recorder. If you haven't, you should start! :D

PSMe, I sent you a PM. :)

Questions for this thread:

1) I use a Synology DS410 NAS for simple file serving with my Windows 8 music server and Meitner DSD-capable MA-1 DAC. I see that the Synology is a good fit with Lumin as it can be configured easily for Lumin's UPnP server. However, i also see that the software, Minimserver, can be installed on a Windows (or Linux or MAC) box. Which would be the best sonically for a setup like mine (i.e minimserver on Synology or on Windows box, with Synology used how??).

2) the free Lumin iPad app looks very nice. I currently use jremote (iPad) with j River so this apradigm is nice, and familiar (also used Apple remote and Linux MPD's mPad). If I were to "pre-configure" or play with setup of the NAS and the iPad app would it mess with my folder structure already in place on the NAS that J RIver is pointed to? I would not want to mess with my production setup. Thanks

1)

I think different UPnP server shouldn't affect sound quality, as long as the renderer (LUMIN player) gets the original audio file data. Nevertheless, in this case, I'd suggest to run MinimServer on the Synology NAS for the best server side performance since MinimServer has direct access to the audio file on local HDD. You can easily disable or remove the Synology MinimServer if you don't need it anymore.

2)

If the audio files are properly tagged, using MinimServer as UPnP server, iPad LUMIN app should properly present all the album and song for a nice browsing and playing experience. There is no need to change existing audio files structure to suit LUMIN playback.

There is a LUMIN app discussion thread over on Linn forum:

LUMIN iPad controller app

I think different UPnP server shouldn't affect sound quality, as long as the renderer (LUMIN player) gets the original audio file data.

Only in case there's match of content type capabilities, UPnP demands server-side transcoding in cases where the recipient is not capable of the exact source format. Some servers may do it anyway.

Good example of such transcoding media server I've been using is PS3 Media Server - allows playback of almost any content, even though the PS3 itself has really limited capabilities.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

LUMIN plays audio files, from mp3 to DSD, 44.1khz to 384khz/32bit. IMO there is no shame in that!

I've most of my music in files, including SACD (PS3 rip) and vinyl rip in DSD using a KORG recorder. If you haven't, you should start! :D

What about Internet radio or Internet streaming? Seems like the Lumin could not be used here. There are a lot of other streamers out there that play these same file types you have listed, but also do more.

If the DAC section is so good, why are there only outputs to send its music to a external DAC and no inputs to drive other material to its DAC section? The design seems contrary to what your are stating. Obviously I have not heard it so cannot comment on the sound, but again the design seems out of sorts to me.

There are a lot of other streamers out there that play these same file types you have listed, but also do more.

I'd love to know of other DSD (DSF format) streamers out there. Which ones come to mind?

The HDMI and SPDIF (BNC) outputs are for those may want to integral LUMIN to other equipment such as AV receiver for casual listening, or even a backyard party! :D Also the HDMI is the only common interface which supports DSD bitstream output. If people thinks those digital output are really no use, LUMIN can certainly do without them! :D

There is no internet radio function yet. It will be added later through firmware upgrade.

I doubt that in my case...I am using a multibit TUBE PCM Dac (L4). I will await the tubed DSD Dac for less money...only a matter of weeks away.

There are a lot of other streamers out there that play these same file types you have listed, but also do more.

I'd love to know of other DSD (DSF format) streamers out there. Which ones come to mind?

Ted you are correct that DSD is really no well supported out there. I guess I was having an issue with the statement universal audiophile streamer. If you change that to most universal file format streamer then I think you can make an argument.

Hello psme

I wanted to know why and 'chose to use the' HDMI output for DSD, I make this application only for one reason DAC , DCS , MSB, Playback Design accept the flow of DSD USB ​​conector there are problems connected with the Lumin DAC cited.

If you use an adapter cable HDMI / USB there are problems, or using active adapters Lumin is seen by the DAC mentioned.

I wanted to do the other two questions Lumin (with some firmware update) can handle the DSD 5.6 MHz, I found no note on the USB connector it is used.

Tonino