IGNORED

Best DA/C for under 1000. (With Balanced Out)

Hi Computer Audiophile Community,

I'm in the market for a new DA/C, and I was wondering if the forum had any suggestions for a well-made component under $1000 that has balanced outs. One, of course, that would go well with my current setup.

Current setup:

Macbook Pro + Audirvana

Moon 340i

Vienna Mozart Grand SE

Best!

Anthony

Thanks so much! Is it a reputable company?

Best,

Anthony

Yes, they're highly reputable. Chris Connaker has a review on this website of the far pricier PS Audio Perfectwave DAC. BTW, what I meant to say was that they'll accept any DAC as a trade in for purchasing the Nuwave DAC at the aforementioned discounted price.

Esau

Thanks so much! Is it a reputable company?

Best,

Anthony

Though I have never owned their DACs I have owned and do own their power conditioners and power cords. I believe their DACs are well thought of. I think they are a very solid company.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Schiit Gungnir

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

To the OP, are you looking for XLR outs or a truly balanced dac? Big difference.

Hmm... not sure. I'm new to this whole audiophile thing.

I previously owned a Moon 300 DAC, but I recently sold it when they upgraded the model to fully asynchronous. I think it was balanced XLR?

Thanks for the help!

Anthony

The Schiit Bifrost is not the end all for high frequency resolution when compared to pricier DACs. My hearing is limited above 15kHz, but my wife tells me she enjoys our system's overall clarity. From what I have gathered, and one of the reasons I chose the unit, it is one of the best at its price point.

13.3" MacBook Air, 4GB RAM, 256GB SSD; iTunes/Bit Perfect; MacBook Air SuperDrive; Western Digital My Book Essential 2TB USB HD; Schiit Bifrost USB DAC; Emotiva USP-1, ERC-1 and two UPA-1s; Pro-Ject Xpression III and AT440MLa; AKAI AT-2600 and Harman Kardon TD4400; Grado SR80i; Magnepan MMG Magnestands; and, Rythmik Audio F12

The Hegel HD11 is a ~$1000 DAC with balanced outs. I have its predecessor, the HD10, which also has balanced outs, though I personally use the asymmetric RCA output as my pre does not have balanced inputs. I am extremely pleased with my HD10 (fed on its coax input with an Audiophilleo AP2).

If balanced out is not a necessity, you could seriously consider this from their FB page:

"We compared the iDAC to the Lindemann, Wavelength, and AMR CD-77. The results were interesting... We spent 5 hours listening to all of these DACs but our main focus was on the new iDAC from iFi Audio.

Our conclusion was that the iDAC is a transformative device with the ability to convert a humble computer into a wonderful music player. It proves to us that you don't need to spend megabucks to he

ar good music. Nor do you have to put up with edgy sound to hear detail, as the iDAC's high resolution is accompanied by silky smooth transitions and rich tones. The sound stage is bold, open and deep.

In Bellini's "Norma" we heard the soprano walk in front of the alto while they both sang. In Patricia Barber's "Winter" we finally discovered that the strange sound that accompanied her, the piano and the bass, was the finger slide on the bass fret, not a plaintive cricket. And to top it off, China Forbes' tongue clicking start to "Una Notte a Napoli" suggested we run for cover lest be drenched in saliva.

This not to claim that this little device bested AMR's CD 77 or the Wavelength Cosecant, far from it. But to get into that league you really do have to spend megabucks."

==================================

This was orginally originally posted below and on the wall.

I am re-publishing this so it can get the attention it deserves, thank you Joe and Felicity Adler for your help.

"We compared the iDAC to the Lindemann, Wavelength, and AMR CD-77. The results were interesting... We spent 5 hours listening to all of these DACs but our main focus was on the new iDAC from iFi Audio.

Our conclusion was that the iDAC is a transformative device with the ability to convert a humble computer into a wonderful music player ....

I'm surprised that Peachtree Audio is allowing the use of the name "iDac" since they came out with a very high-quality product with that name a couple years ago.

I'm surprised that Peachtree Audio is allowing the use of the name "iDac" since they came out with a very high-quality product with that name a couple years ago.

I suspect IDAC Ltd or IDAC media have prior claim to the name before Peachtree Audio. Presumably it's not a trademark.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

"Terrific product, especially when paired with iUSB. Consider spending some of the remaining $500 on USB cables.

(Note: Not balanced out.)

Bob "

They are coming out with a quality USB 2 head cable in January for a lot less than the iUSB Power costs. I figure it will be about $40 to $100, anywhere in that range, probably a round $50 price.

The Emotiva XDA-2 has balanced outputs. It also does 24/192 on all inputs including the Asynchronous USB. It's on sale now for $349.

shop.emotiva.com/collections/processors/products/xda2

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

As noted above, Emotiva has an attractive price.

The Parasound ZDac ($475) is another option that is priced well below the NuWave:

http://http://www.parasound.com/ParasoundZ/zdac.php

http://http://www.avguide.com/article/parasound-debuts-zdac

Senn HD 650, Perreaux Sihoutte SXH1 amp

Dell XPS 8100 Realtek HD Audio SC w/ Tru Studio PC software (Creative/THX) & Dell XPS laptop, Swann D1080 Mk II speakers

Denon AVR 3806, Denon DVD 1920, Revel Concerta F12 speakers, Monster HTS 3500 Mk II and various cables.

• 3 weeks later...
I've never heard one and there are no reviews out yet but the PS Audio Nuwave DAC sounds promising.

I did a quick review of the PS Audio NuWave DAC and compared it to its predecessor, the PS Audio Digital Link III, which I had been using with the Musical Fidelity V-LINK 192 USB/SPDIF converter. I found the NuWave to be a small but real step up. See details here:

http://www.dailyaudiophile.com/ps-audio-nuwave-dac-review-on-daily-audiophile/