IGNORED

Best Cover Songs

Hello there

Some great covers mentioned here.

One from me, The Cure - Young Americans - David Bowie cover.

Cheers Frank

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> White Bird Amplification VIRTUS-01> Sennheiser HD650 headphones

PC>JRiver> Lindemann USB-DAC 24/192> Cyrus 6VS> Dali Zensor 1

In her 1975 Diamonds and Rust album, Joan Baez does an amazing cover of Dylan's Simple Twist of Fate. On one of the verses, she does a better than Dylan imitation of Dylan's pre stop smoking voice. For those not old enough to remember, Baez and Dylan were a couple in the early '60's, when she was more famous than he. In college, in my freshman year in 1963-64 (coincidentally the year the Beatles came to the US for the first time), we had a Freshman Class Spring Dance/Concert and Bob Dylan was hired as the featured performer. As a surprise guest he brought Joan Baez perform with him.

BTW, I read in wiki that Judas Priest did a cover of the title song Diamonds and Rust which was about Baez's relationship with Dylan. Never heard it. Never heard Judas Priest.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files

Got to Get You into my Life;Earth Wind And Fire

I was a huge Beatles fan back in the 70',I thought that no one could do a Beatles song better than the Beatles.

But this one blew my mind and still does.Anyway does make sence since Paul McCartney said that he was trying to write a Motown song when he wrote it.

Earth_Wind_Fire_-_Got_to_Get_You_into_My_Life.jpg

Aztec Camera covering Van Halen's Jump.

There are two full albums of Tom Waits covers, one by Holly Cole and one by John Hammond Jr. The Hammond album is called Wicked Grin. Also with Tom Waits is The Blind Boys of Alabama covering Jesus Gonna Be Here. Also regarding the Blind Boys their cover of Drifting by Jimi Hendrix is sublime.

Lastly, regarding Jimi Hendrix, Dylan said "I wrote All Along the Watchtower but it's Jimi's song now."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My favorite cover from the ''Thousand Shades of Blue'' album is ''Wicked Game''

track 4, listen here;Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

and if you rememember the beautiful girl from the original Chriss Isaac video;

chris-isaak-wicked-game_scruberthumbnail_1.jpgtumblr_mg4io62RfI1r06q46o1_1280.jpg

then I believe that Carmen Gomes has the voice and the looks to surpass the original;

2007013.jpg0.jpg

these 5 are my favorites.

Earth Wind and Fire:Got to Get you into my Life(Beatles) from greatest hits

Cassandra Wilson:Love is Blindness(U2) from New Moon Daughter.

Dianne Reeves: The River (Joni Mitchell) from Bridges.

Kenny Garret Lonnie's Lament(John Coltrane) from The Music of John Coltrane..

Carmen Gomes inc. I'm on Fire(Bruce Springsteen) from Thousand Shades of Blue

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Tina Turner does John Fogerty's Proud Mary.

Both classic versions.

"The gullibility of audiophiles is what astonishes me the most, even after all these years. How is it possible, how did it ever happen, that they trust fairy-tale purveyors and mystic gurus more than reliable sources of scientific information?"

Peter Aczel - The Audio Critic

nomqa.webp.aa713f2bb9e304522011cdb2d2ca907d.webp  R.I.P. MQA 2014-2023: Hyped product thanks to uneducated, uncritical advocates & captured press.

Been a lurker but registered to post Cat Powers.

Alice Russell - Crazy.

Nostalgia 77 - featuring Alice Russell - Seven Nation Army.

Stereo Source: Auralic Aries + Mytek Brooklyn DAC+

Surround Source: Windows PC

Pre-amp: Mark Levinson ML380s, Anthem D2v

Speakers: ATC SCM50A (L/R/C), C4 (Sub), SCM20-2A (LR,RR)

A Beatles cover band:

(Actually a "project" band of musicians with "day jobs" in other bands)

Check the playing, the harmonies, the between-song banter.

[video=youtube;PJWTyiys-cs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJWTyiys-cs

That's a link to the full show (2 hours), but searching Youtube for "Yellow Matter Custard" will bring up most of the individual tracks.

"People hear what they see." - Doris Day

The forum would be a much better place if everyone were less convinced of how right they were.