IGNORED

Best Cover Songs

• 1 month later...

The Clash "I Fought the Law"

Phil Seymour "Let Her Dance" (another Bobby Fuller Four song)

Brad Mehldau Trio "Black Hole Sun"

The Neville Brothers "Fever"

Aoife O'Donovan "Lay My Burden Down" (she wrote it, but Alison Krauss recorded it first)

Neko Case "Soulful Shade of Blue"

X "Soul Kitchen"

The Bangles "September Gurls"

and the greatest cover of all time,

Richard Thompson "Oops! I Did It Again"

Office: MacBook Pro - Audirvana Plus - Resonessence Concero - Cavailli Liquid Carbon - Sennheiser HD 800.

Travel/Portable: iPhone 7 or iPad Pro - AudioQuest Dragonfly Red - Audeze SINE or Noble Savant

Neko Case doing Dylan's "Buckets of Rain"

Hope Waits doing Dylan's "Ring them Bells"

Dave's True Story doing any Dylan

Catch the pattern? I love Dylan's song writing, hate his voice.

Two of my favourite covers are also Dylan songs:

Jimi Hendrix doing All Along The Watchtower (already mentioned)

Rage Against The Machine doing Maggie's Farm - this works so well, they bring out the seething anger in the social commentary.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one:

Gary Jules doing Mad World (by Tears for Fears). Fantastic version.

For those who don't know, this became a Christmas Number 1 here in the UK, after an internet campaign to oust whatever manufactured vacuous drivel it was up against in the charts.

good thread -- someone mentioned linda ronstadt earlier. she was the first one i thought of -- she did an excellent cover of tumbling dice by the stones.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
  • 5 weeks later...

these 5 are my favorites.

Earth Wind and Fire:Got to Get you into my Life(Beatles) from greatest hits

Cassandra Wilson:Love is Blindness(U2) from New Moon Daughter.

Dianne Reeves: The River (Joni Mitchell) from Bridges.

Kenny Garret Lonnie's Lament(John Coltrane) from The Music of John Coltrane..

Carmen Gomes inc. I'm on Fire(Bruce Springsteen) from Thousand Shades of Blue

Two of my favourite covers are also Dylan songs:

Jimi Hendrix doing All Along The Watchtower (already mentioned)

Rage Against The Machine doing Maggie's Farm - this works so well, they bring out the seething anger in the social commentary.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this one:

Gary Jules doing Mad World (by Tears for Fears). Fantastic version.

For those who don't know, this became a Christmas Number 1 here in the UK, after an internet campaign to oust whatever manufactured vacuous drivel it was up against in the charts.

Fairport Convention covering "Percy's Song"

I am really, really, really not a Cindy Lauper fan, but out of the blue she came up with a beautiful song called "Time after Time".

Here's the Miles Davis version. Instrumental, of course, but who needs words when it's Miles?

We've had a few covers by Tom Waits (my hero!) listed in this topic, so let's turn the tables and have someone else do a cover of a Waits song. Now, say what you like about Rod Stewart... Well in fact, don't bother, his dodgy dance moves in this video say it all! But when it comes to picking a great song to cover, he's the man. Here's his version of "Downtown Train" (ps, best to fast forward through the drum duet in the middle so as to spare the pain before the *cough* 'amazing' costume change):

Many times in my life I have realised (too late) that I should have kept my mouth shut. Here's Everything but the Girl showing how to keep your mouth shut in style. Cover is Simon & Garfunkel's "The Only Living Boy in New York" - I love that song!

Need to add two more brillant versions from the great Holly Cole, on my absolutely favorite album "Don't Smoke In Bed"

- I Can See Clearly Now

- Tenessee Waltz

She also does Que Sera on this album, but this one I can really only stand from Doris Day.

And finally, although not at the same level as my adored Holly, Youn Sun Na on her album "Same Girl" has a really interesting version of Metallica's Enter Sandman.

• 2 months later...
these 5 are my favorites.

Earth Wind and Fire:Got to Get you into my Life(Beatles) from greatest hits

Cassandra Wilson:Love is Blindness(U2) from New Moon Daughter.

Dianne Reeves: The River (Joni Mitchell) from Bridges.

Kenny Garret Lonnie's Lament(John Coltrane) from The Music of John Coltrane..

Carmen Gomes inc. I'm on Fire(Bruce Springsteen) from Thousand Shades of Blue

That's a very nice collection of covers.

I like the Carmen Gomes cover of ''I'm on Fire'' very much,but it is not the same version as the one on the

''Thousand Shades of Blue''album.

The album version has a better sound and a smoother played drum groove.

you can listen to it here:

Carmen Gomes Inc.- SSS no.1

Dave Grohl's cover of "Band on the Run" at the White House is just so much fun. If you have not hear/seen it you really need to.

-Joe

ReadyNAS Ultra/6 stored flac->GigE network->roon->Uptone JS-2->microRendu->W4S Recovery->W4S DAC-2v2 SE>W4S STP-SE STG2 Preamp->W4S ST-1000 Amplifer->Von Schweikert VR-44

All the covers of Dylan songs listed above and no one has yet mentioned Cher doing "All I Really Want to Do" !!

Assuming we are not talking about jazz, where covers of standards are bread-and-butter, and of course classical and opera ( "Wow, Sutherland did a kick ass cover of "Casta Diva" from Bellini's Norma"!!), I will add to the already mentioned songs:

Marie Digby covering Rihanna's "Umbrella" (she also does some nice covers of Linkin Park, Beyonce, Britney Spears, all acoustically.....and she is so damn cute).

Rolling Stones covering anything by Chuck Berry

Keith Greeninger covering Marley's "Three Little Birds" and Morrison's "Into the Mystic"

plus he and Dayan Rai covering the Dead's "Friend of the Devil"

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

Gloria Gaynor's I Will Survive by Cake

Madonna's Borderline by The Flaming Lips

Beyonce's Crazy In Love by Antony & The Johnsons

Led Zeppelin's Thank You by Tori Amos

Billie Holiday's Strange Fruit by Siouxsie & The Banshees

and, of course, Cohen's Hallelujah who I feel is now "owned" by the late Jeff Buckley

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro

Sheesh, I cannot believe I didn't think of this before!

You guessed it, another Dylan cover. Antony doing "I was young when I left home".

Mesmerizing...

+ a zillion

from the Dark Was The Night compilation

I sometimes put this one on repeat for an hour and never get tired of It. Brilliant indeed!

Arcam rDAC / Oppo BDP-83 / NAD 315BEE / Totem Arro