IGNORED

Solid state storage / Sound quality

JrivasK

Hi all, I'm new here and I need some advice. I've been using for sometime now an "old" 2007 MacBook Pro running Lion and Fidelia Advance. The Mac is connected to an Stello Signature DA100 through optical and then the DAC is balanced connected to an SPL Phonitor Headphone Amplifier. The last link of the chain is the sennheiser HD800.

I really like how everything sounds and also think Fidelia is an excellent software in terms of sound quality and stability, I guess my only complain is the iPhone/iPad remote app which I found sometime useless when dealing with long names in classical music....

anyway, finally my question...I'm thinking is about time to get a new MacBook Pro, and I was wondering if the solid state storage in the Retina model will some how make any improvement SOUND WISE in my setting or not at all?

Thanks!

My current machine has a 128GB SS drive and a 1TB spinner.....both contain iTunes files ripped 16/44 lossless.....I cannot discern an audible difference between the two nor was I able to find any supporting data on the engineering aspect that SS drives will influence analog playback in any way.

Certainly someone will post here that there's an audible difference so I caution against making a determination based solely on that....best to listen for yourself before investing on the MAC for an improvement in SQ. Fortunately the prices of SS drives have dropped enough to try one on for size with your existing machine. It could be repurposed as a backup drive with whatever you purchase.

It's well documented on many threads here that a SS drive has an improvement in SQ (just do a quick search).

I've recently changed my internal spinning drive on my Mac Book Pro 2012 to a 60 gig SS drive for OS & run the music files through the original internal drive mounted in an enclosure via firewire.

The difference is amazing & I believe twofold, in that the OS is now completely silent & vibration free & the music files are now seperated from the other drive.

If you have an overly bright system, you may prefer the sound of the spinning drive, as the SS drive is slightly cleaner & crisper. I prefer the cleanness of the SS with all the detail & the bass is to die for.