IGNORED

Intel Next Unit Of Computing Music Server?

Hey Guys - I should be receiving this tiny 4"x4" computer Friday. It won't be a C.A.P.S. server just yet because there are a few things that need to be figured out, mainly a fanless design. But, this thing could be very cool for many music server purposes in the future. It's powerful and tiny.

The version I'm getting had wired Ethernet. There is another version with wireless and in place of the Ethernet port is a Thunderbolt port.

Introducing Intel's Next Unit of Computing Kit DC3217IYE

intel-nuc.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris, thanks for letting us know. This indeed a very cool barebone, and frankly I did not see anything as powerful as this in such a small case. It does have a fan, so I will be interested to see if it will be an issue for a music server. Also, it includes an excellent Intel 4000 graphics, so this will certainly appeal to those who want an HTPC including HD movies capabilities.

Chris, please let us know your impressions if you happen to make it a music server.

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables

I currently use a Zotac NANO AD10 with 120Gb SSD and external eSata 2Tb HDD.

Looks the same, although way less powerful than an i3.

zotac-NANO.jpg

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

Very much so in the looks. The NUC is great because it supports any operating system that runs on the Intel platform.

I do not see where it says that it will run Mac OSX. How do they "support" it without Apple's approval, or do they have it? From what I gather, the biggest issue with Hackintoshs are the updates being a PITA.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

We've been discussing the suitability of this device on PinkFish: it has potential to be a really interesting combination of low overhead and big resource. Fundamentally crippled by the single-rail input and a few other corner-cuts – and a bit expensive, maybe – but I'm looking forward to playing with it! Who knows – perhaps it's the Next Unit of Audiophile Computing?!

(grin) I was just thinking the thing looks like a Black Sheep Mac Mini - though it only has an i3 in it instead of an i5 or i7. ;)

-Paul

I do not see where it says that it will run Mac OSX. How do they "support" it without Apple's approval, or do they have it? From what I gather, the biggest issue with Hackintoshs are the updates being a PITA.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Now we just need SotM to produce a Mini PCI version of the USB card...

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

photos: Intel NUC Silentpcreview

video:

AnandTech - Inside Intel's Next Unit of Computing (DC3217BY)

by Anand Lal Shimpi on 11/9/2012 1:28:00 PM

The first-generation NUC's are built around a dual-core ULV Ivy Bridge CPU - the Core i3 3217U (17W TDP at 1.8GHz, HD 4000 graphics running at 350MHz - 1.05GHz, QS77 Express Chipset, 2x DDR3 SO-DIMM 1066/1333MHz), mSATA, mini-PCIe, Intel HD Audio, 3x USB 2.0, HDMI, 19V-65W power brick (10W typical), 3-year warranty. 116.6mm×112.0mm×39.0mm (4.59”×4.41”×1.55”)

• 1 month later...
Got my NUC this afternoon. Check out this video. A cool surprise awaits those opening the box.

Hey, any new news or thoughts on this? I've been thinking about going with this solution (plus msata drive and memory obvs.) rather than building out an Atom CAPS box. The SilentPC review says it's pretty darn inaudible.

Hey, any new news or thoughts on this? I've been thinking about going with this solution (plus msata drive and memory obvs.) rather than building out an Atom CAPS box. The SilentPC review says it's pretty darn inaudible.

I have it sitting on my desk and the noise was too bothersome so I unplugged it for now. It's definitely not silent.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Well, so much for that!

How about something based off this?: Akasa Euler Fanless Thin ITX Case | silentpcreview.com

Fanless and supports newer some newer tech than the 2800MT motherboard. I'd prefer to build something with more than an Atom processor, but still want to keep costs low. Obviously this case doesn't have enough room for something like the SoTA USB card, so that looks to be a compromise.

Are there any other good fanless case recommendations out there?

I got one and quite like it as an object: small, functional, quiet, does the job I wanted it to do.

I cannot hear it at all, even with my ear right up against the case. My calibrated SPL meter registers no change in ambient noise level in the area of the NUC when next to various points of the case.

Loaded it up with 16GB of RAM, 120Gb SuperSSpeed S320 mSATA MLC drive and Win8, using J River, networked to a Buffalo 2TB RAID1 external drive.

Can actually be fitted in a jacket pocket. Well two really, you need the other pocket for the power brick.

SQ almost certainly limited in my set up by the DAC I'm using, but it seems to sound pretty good to me as well, if not up to the standard of my analogue set up(s). Probably a shopping opportunity for the near future.

Caveat: this is my first music server, so my sample size is what one could describe as "small" :-) Maybe I got a "quiet" one and am thus lucky.

My 2 cents, YMMV etc, etc.

Note to Chris: I'm not suggesting that the one you have is not noisy, just that I appear to have a "quiet/silent enough" one. Thank you for the great site and resource.

Cheers,

Bill

• 3 months later...
  • 6 months later...