IGNORED

Book recommendation: Intro to audio systems / audio set up?

Ahoy partisans,

I got a lost in the jungle of upgrading my audio system. I was thinking about getting some active speakers. However, I wanted to listen music from different input sources and on different speakers. Reading about passive pre-amps, processors, monitor controllers… I got lost. Before deciding which audio devices I really need … is there a book (or even website) which you would recommend to read?

I’d like to understand the basics, advantages, disadvantages, about …

- Active, passive speaker types,

- active, passive amplifier types,

- everything about connections (speakers with monitor controllers / amplifiers; balanced vs unbalanced signals, analog vs optical connections,)

- and answering questions like: what is a monitor controller, what is a processor, decompressor, etc.

… explaining very simple for Amateurs like me

Thanks a bunch!

Marco

Robert Harley of "The Absolute Sound" has some books out. I have not read them, but they out to be decent at least.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

Ahoy partisans,

I got a lost in the jungle of upgrading my audio system. I was thinking about getting some active speakers. However, I wanted to listen music from different input sources and on different speakers. Reading about passive pre-amps, processors, monitor controllers… I got lost. Before deciding which audio devices I really need … is there a book (or even website) which you would recommend to read?

I’d like to understand the basics, advantages, disadvantages, about …

- Active, passive speaker types,

- active, passive amplifier types,

- everything about connections (speakers with monitor controllers / amplifiers; balanced vs unbalanced signals, analog vs optical connections,)

- and answering questions like: what is a monitor controller, what is a processor, decompressor, etc.

… explaining very simple for Amateurs like me

Thanks a bunch!

Marco

I'll second the Harley book. There are many references to books on this subject if you do a quick search on Google.

If you have a Hifi shop nearby then that is an excellent place to start also. The most important thing is always LISTENING for yourself.

David

I'll second the Harley book. There are many references to books on this subject if you do a quick search on Google.

If you have a Hifi shop nearby then that is an excellent place to start also. The most important thing is always LISTENING for yourself.

A few out there, as noted

HiFiBooks.com -- Robert Harley's books on Home Theater and High-End Audio

Get Better Sound by Jim Smith Get Better Sound - speakout

Audio/Video Cable Installers Guide by Stephen Lampen

For Computer Audio, no better place than right here.

The Truth Is Out There

Welcome to the hobby Rootsrider!

Why not use the forum as your resource? Simply break each bit of info your looking for into a clear, concise thread? This way you'll get real world answers from different viewpoints where those from a reference text express only one opinion. How bout start with explaining your intended setup and describing the space you'll be listening in and then start with speakers.......active vs passive?

I have been reading this book lately:

Loudspeakers: For music recording and reproduction [Hardcover]

Philip Newell (Author), Keith Holland (Author)

51DjkFRFqdL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

Amazon.com: Loudspeakers: For music recording and reproduction (9780240520148): Philip Newell, Keith Holland: Books

I believe this is a clearly written and easily understandable book for beginners like me. It touches on many subjects concerning loudspeakers, rooms, and signal chains, and should cover everything your looking for.

Foobar/Squeezebox Duet ->USB,SPDIF/RCA ->Benchmark DAC1 HDR ->Orion ASP ->ATI 6012 ->Linkwitzlab Orion