IGNORED

What does it all mean? - dpPoweramp and Accurate Rip messages

DaQi

I am ripping my CDs using dbPoweramp with all the various error correction etc. turned on and now am wondering how to interpret what is happening and what it means. Some examples:

1) Brand new CD fresh out of the wrap. Seems to rip fine but at the end most of the tracks report as inaccurate in Accurate Rip.

2) Second brand new CD fresh out the wrap. Found in accurate rip seems to rip fine but then at the end of the rip I get a report that some of the tracks are inaccurate, some are accurate and some are not in accurate rip. When I redo the rip the result is identical including the CRC values.

3) Next brand new CD fresh out of the wrap. Rips fine with no errors and all tracks are accurate according to accurate rip.

The first and second CDs are less popular and more obscure music although the last one is not exactly a common disc either.

So what can I conclude from this?

-The CD reader in my computer is capable of reading a brand new CD accurately (point 3).

-Does the CD reader in my computer take some time to warm up or is it variable in its capability? Possible, but as per point 2 I redo the rip and get identical "errors". If this was the case I would have expected it to change from one run to another.

-Are the CDs I am buying substandard fresh out of the wrap? I am buying them online from Amazon so I would assume they should be good quality proper CDs.

-The numbers from Accurate Rip may not be that accurate. With less common music their stored numbers may be wrong. I am not sure of the details of how they get these values so not sure of the possibility for errors.

Anyone able to shed some light on this or give me some suggestions on this "problem" and what I should do?

1. Even if the CD is new make sure it is clean and not scratched. Is dbpoweramp interpolating the rip or re-reading the rip extra times when you rip? If yes, that may mean it is having trouble reading the disk. That could make your rips not match the database. In fact, if from the same CD you get some tracks confirmed in AR and some not, it's a sign that your CD ripper is having trouble reading/ripping the CD. So maybe the CD is dirty/damaged.

2. Have you setup dbpoweramp to compensate for the CD ripper offset?

3. What level is the accurate rip? If there are only a very small number (one or two) of matching CD's, it could make a mistake. Or you could have a slightly different version of the same CD (made in different country, etc) than the ones already in the AR database, and this could lead to strange results.

4. Try doing a "secure rip" but with AR turned off. If you succeed in getting a secure rip, then everything is okay. Just for some reason the database and your CD didn't match.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 year later...
2. Have you setup dbpoweramp to compensate for the CD ripper offset?

I don't remember. I don't know how to find out if it is set. I don't know how to set the offset if I inadvertently skipped that step ages ago. The dbpoweramp help doesn't tell how to do these things. Is there, in fact, any way to find out whether the offset is set or to set it in dbpoweramp if it wasn't set the first time I put in a CD? Or are users like me just SOL?

• 2 weeks later...

Have done the setups and offsets etc. for dbPoweramp. Interestingly it seems to be one particular drive that causes the problems. Funny thing is that I have a very old portable USB CD-ROM and other than being slow it works flawlessly every time. So, when I need to rip CDs I pull out the old portable CD-ROM drive and do my ripping. Still a bit of a mystery but one I have worked around.