IGNORED

New Billy Joel "The Stranger"

I decided to try the new 88kHz version on HD Tracks. (I never did replace my vinyl version; I bought when it was first released.)

I love the music--I still remember the lyrics after 30 years.

BUT this download was a complete waste of money. I wouldn't be surprised if the bandwidth was wider than 100 Hz to 4 kHz! It is no wonder that Chesky doesn't offer the ability to offer feedback like Amazon does. No one would buy this junk.

Has anyone been successful getting a refund from these folks?

I bought this too and have to agree, it's awful. I had two versions on vinyl, the original release and a half speed mastered version that CBS put out a few years ago. The vinyl is way better and I didn't think either of those was particularly good. I always found the sound very bright and edgy. This is just dull, so much so that there are details missing that I know are there on my vinyl copies. It's all in the middle, with no top and bottom end. Like the previous poster said, what a waste of money.

Colin

My general rule-of-thumb is: if a recording is available on Mofi or AP SACD, then stay away from the HDTracks download, as the download is never derived from the same source.

It seems quite likely the HDTracks version was taken from the master used for the original Sony SACD in 2001. The word on the street with that release is that the stereo layer is generally unimpressive.

I decided to try the new 88kHz version on HD Tracks. (I never did replace my vinyl version; I bought when it was first released.)

I love the music--I still remember the lyrics after 30 years.

BUT this download was a complete waste of money. I wouldn't be surprised if the bandwidth was wider than 100 Hz to 4 kHz! It is no wonder that Chesky doesn't offer the ability to offer feedback like Amazon does. No one would buy this junk.

Has anyone been successful getting a refund from these folks?

Stranger hdtrax.PNG

It sounds pretty good too. This looks like the real thing.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX