IGNORED

A product I'd buy - UPNP player

I love me some AppleTV, but it doesn't do FLAC and iTunes doesn't either. The video interface is alright but I only use it for video. Music I choose from iTunes and stream it to the AppleTV. My wife knows how this works.

I love me some Squeezebox Touch but there are so many moving parts to making it work right. I've got to handle file management on my computer with Windows Explorer (I could do Mac too). I've got to rip CDs and ensure proper metadata and bit perfection (dbpoweramp). I've got to examine and change metadata when needed (mediamonkey). I've got to rescan the library for changes. And there's no video from the Squeezebox, not counting that little screen. Too complicated a system for my wife and children.

I've attempted to convert FLAC files to Apple Lossless (high res) and the high resolution moves over fine but streaming to AppleTV downgrades the high res stuff it and the Squeezebox Touch downgrades it too.

Enter UPNP. I'm toying around with UPNP servers right now. JRiver, MediaMonkey, Asset. Trying to figure out which one I like. But I also need a device (or two since I have two listening locations) where I can have a device connect to the UPNP server and get the files. I don't know what device to use - or where to begin looking for one. I have an Oppo 95 and the music sounds good of course, but the interface is lacking.

Interface and usability are key. I don't want my wife to roll her eyes when I start to fiddle around with music. I want her to be able to do it. Any ideas? Let's not worry about budget yet. I'd like to see the whole range of options.

PS Audio Perfectwave DAC and Bridge card......the exponential cost over the ATV buys you the hires capability. Instead I've spent far more valuable 'time' trying to hear an improvement in hi-res over 16/44 lossless files.......and my answer?...." i still have my Airports and ATVs. Lol

Check out Linn Sneaky DS; Naim UnitiQute and ND5 and Cyrus Stream X.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Check out Linn Sneaky DS; Naim UnitiQute and ND5 and Cyrus Stream X.

Eloise

I have the Naim gear and absolutely love it. Works flawlessly with UPnP. Might be more than you are looking for, but based on the component you choose, you may be able to replace and sell your current pre.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

Check out the Naim NAC-N 172 XS preamplifier. It is a hi-res streamer preamplifier in one. There is one on Audiogon for about $2K and you could sell the Benchmark.

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

I have a Pioneer N-50 DAC/DLNA streamer. It gets its files from a QNAP NAS running Twonky server. It is controlled by an iPod running 8player. It works decent enough; 8player is much better than Pioneer's own control app. I suggest you try it. It may even work with your Oppo.