IGNORED

Audiophile & Compact active speakers: which models

Ahoy partisans,

I am looking forward to upgrade my (active) speaker system :o)

Main characteristics required:

- quite compact & portable speakers; max weight ca 15kg per speaker (My office is small (7-10sqm) and I want to be flexible,)

- I am interested in active speakers only.

- I listen mainly to Reggae & World, and sometimes House / Trance music. So I will need a nice sounding bottom end and a perfect stereo imaging & depth

- As my budget is around 3000-4500GBP (per pair), I will be very careful choosing and start test-listen different speakers.

So far on my list:

- PSI Audio A-21 M (known for their very clean & neutral sound & extreme flat frequence & perfect stereo imaging)

- PMC TwoTwo 5, 6 (just came on the market few days ago; anybody experience?)

- ME Geithain MO-2

Any other ideas of speakers to check out?

Many thanks.

Ahoy partisans,

I am looking forward to upgrade my (active) speaker system :o)

Main characteristics required:

- quite compact & portable speakers; max weight ca 15kg per speaker (My office is small (7-10sqm) and I want to be flexible,)

- I am interested in active speakers only.

- I listen mainly to Reggae & World, and sometimes House / Trance music. So I will need a nice sounding bottom end and a perfect stereo imaging & depth

- As my budget is around 3000-4500GBP (per pair), I will be very careful choosing and start test-listen different speakers.

So far on my list:

- PSI Audio A-21 M (known for their very clean & neutral sound & extreme flat frequence & perfect stereo imaging)

- PMC TwoTwo 5, 6 (just came on the market few days ago; anybody experience?)

- ME Geithain MO-2

Any other ideas of speakers to check out?

Many thanks.

There are some good values on Dynaudio Focus 110 here and some nice Focal powered speakers further down the page.

Dedicated Audio - Powered Speakers

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

As it appears you are in the UK I recommend you seek out the Quad "L" line of active speakers(model 9 is the smallest,then model 11 & 12).Highly recommended,reviewed & Very musical speakers.

Asus "K52F" (iTunes Lossless) > Audioquest "Forest" USB > Peachtree Audio "MusicBox" > Harmonic Technology "Melody 8"Single Crystal Copper > Sonus Faber "Toy Monitor"(or Sennheiser "HD 598" cans)...

I would seek a store that rent studio equipment and see what active speakers are available.

That way you will have the speakers in your room to test for a week or so, and make up your mind on what is best for your budget and sound preference.

The same applies to DACs.

MacPro Xeon/Audirvana-ITunes/USB/W4S DAC2 SE/ADAM Delta

I would seek a store that rent studio equipment and see what active speakers are available.

That way you will have the speakers in your room to test for a week or so, and make up your mind on what is best for your budget and sound preference.

The same applies to DACs.

There may well be stores in Canada or elsewhere in the world and even somewhere here in the states that provide rentals of equipment for evaluation but I have never heard of it before. The ability to demo equipment has virtually dried up with the contraction of the specialty audio store. You are left with the few product lines supported by your dealer with in store demonstration, reviews and opinions on forums such as this. The real difficulty is in trying to decide on any item outside of your system you are left with hit and miss in terms of the synergy of your system, the new component and your environment.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

I would cancel the ME Geithain MOs, especially for the kind of music they would be used (and I use Geithains for myself, so I think I know what I'm talking 'bout ... ;-) )

But I would strongly recommend:

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

I havent heard the new ones (obiously), but know the K+H O300 quite well.

There are lots of possibilities if you will take a closer look into the professional segment. For xample the Event Opal or the Focals, or ...

Happy listening,

Harald

Esoterc SA-60 / Foobar2000 -> Mytek Stereo 192 DSD / Audio-GD NFB 28.38 -> MEG RL922K / AKG K500 / AKG K1000  / Audioquest Nighthawk / OPPO PM-2 / Sennheiser HD800 / Sennheiser Surrounder / Sony MA900 / STAX SR-303+SRM-323II

I'm talking about store that specialize in professional equipment rental, not the hifi store.

The fact that active speakers is what is desired, those stores will have them in stock.

If home hifi speaker were the object of his search, I would agree it would be difficult to find.

I'm pretty sure that most large cities will have such a store.

I wanted to try the ADAM Audio speakers and on their site, they provided the HiFi and professional stores location in my area.

MacPro Xeon/Audirvana-ITunes/USB/W4S DAC2 SE/ADAM Delta

I would cancel the ME Geithain MOs, especially for the kind of music they would be used (and I use Geithains for myself, so I think I know what I'm talking 'bout ... ;-) )

But I would strongly recommend:

Georg Neumann GmbH - Professional Monitoring

I havent heard the new ones (obiously), but know the K+H O300 quite well.

There are lots of possibilities if you will take a closer look into the professional segment. For xample the Event Opal or the Focals, or ...

Happy listening,

Harald

@Harald: Thanks for the interesting insights in ME Geithain speakers. Why do you think they are less suitable than KH? I read in other forums that people prefer ME Geithain’s smallest speakers RL906 against KH 0300 because RL906 seems to be more detailed in the wide frequency range. But happy to hear your experiences.

Thanks for the interesting insights in ME Geithain speakers. Why do you think they are less suitable than KH? I read in other forums that people prefer ME Geithain’s smallest speakers RL906 against KH 0300 because RL906 seems to be more detailed in the wide frequency range. But happy to hear your experiences.

• 9 months later...

I spend some time in various studios which tend to use active speakers; for the sort of music you talk about Genelec would be interesting. Their DSP speakers are a stunning technical tour de force, probably the most accurate devices I have heard, particularly if you are putting them in difficult/non treated acoustic environments.

What I like about Genelec is the thoroughness of their design, application of technology and superb build quality. They are a very serious product.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

The PMC two-twos sure have great specs and some interesting tech. Not crazy about the blue color. Have read that they may tend just a little toward the bright side, but many users seem very happy with them. Haven't heard them myself.The Ps Audios are likely a great choice as well. I have a friend who mixes acoustic music with the Neuman KH-120s and they do the job quite well, but wouldn't be my choice.

I have a pair of Event Opals backordered: Event Electronics | Reference Studio Monitoring | opal

This is the thread that got me interested: The next mammoth review! - The Event Opal Studio Monitors

The only big pro dealer near me, Full Compass, is online only and doesn't allow auditions. So I look for a good return policy.

I spend some time in various studios which tend to use active speakers; for the sort of music you talk about Genelec would be interesting. Their DSP speakers are a stunning technical tour de force, probably the most accurate devices I have heard, particularly if you are putting them in difficult/non treated acoustic environments.

What I like about Genelec is the thoroughness of their design, application of technology and superb build quality. They are a very serious product.

Hi, blueixus. Any particular models you might recommend? I was considering the 8250A myself. Just a bit pricey for me. Have you heard them?

Hi there christopher3393

If you are going for the DSP Genelec system I would settle for the 8130A given the size of you room. If you want DSP capability you need the sub as this does all the processing, the SE7261A would do this perfectly. This goes down to 19Hz at -3db which is decent bass - you should be able to purchase this 2.1 system at around GBP 2800-3000. I have heard this system and it was extremely good, very accurate, full range and excellent imaging.

In my little study I use a smaller Genelec system, 6010a speakers & 5040a sub, it is excellent more than enough power for me and very well integrated. I was planning to get a Genelec DSP system but this is on hold as I am trying DIRAC RC/DSP products which I can run from my Mac.

For me in difficult rooms such as a study RC/DSP is absolutely essential.

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers