IGNORED

Is a preamp what I need?

ed71

My current setup looks like this:

iMac running Audirvana Plus -> V-DAC -> Audioengine A5s

I'd like to step up to something more versatile that will let me add a headphone amp, a musical subwoofer, and replace the A5s with higher quality passive speakers at some point. I'm starting to think that picking up something like an Emotiva USP-1 might make sense. If I understand correctly, placing a USP-1 right before the A5s would give me volume control and bass management for a subwoofer, make it easy to connect a headphone amp, and would make it easy to add a power amp when I decide to upgrade the A5s. Does this seem like a worthwhile route, or is there something else I should be considering?

I initially wondered about some of the Peachtree options, but I'm not crazy about having the DAC integrated into the system.

Not sure how it stacks up price wise: but if you are looking at a headphone amplifier the Musical Fidelity M1HPA (and probably other headphone amps I don't know about) also works as a pre-amp for a simple 1 (2 with newest version) source system.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I own the Emotiva USP-1 and think it's great value for the money. It even includes a phono stage in case you decide to go down the vinyl rabbit hole.

I use mine primarily to provide volume control between my Peachtree DAC-iT and Airmotiv 6 active speakers.

BTW, Emotiva is having a holiday sale so it's an even better deal right now.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

I had the USP-1. It was a good preamp. I only had two complaints, the processor loop functioned only as an input, and the volume control took large steps when using a remote. The USP-1 has a excellent headphone amp as well as.

I replaced it with the XSP-1 which is a hellava a piece of kit. ;)

The USP-1 is on sale now for 369. If you can afford the extra dough the XSP-1 is the way to go.

cheers

ken

I am in no way associated with Emotiva, just a fanboy. :)