IGNORED

audiophile AD / DA converters

Ahoy,

i tried searching in the forum for some AD/DA threads but was not really successful. Apologies if similar story was already picked up earlier.

I look for an audiophile AD / DA converter.

Main connections required:

1 analog input (to connect phono preamp (from turntable)),

2 digital inputs (for CD player, Laptop)

(I do not need any mic-pre-amps or any input channel for instruments)

For now, i have seen only the following products in web search: Lynx Hilo, Antelope Orion32

Anything else what I should consider?

Price: around 2500EUR; but thats flexible. I'd like to know beforehand what you have for experiences with ADDAs and will then decide how much I spend :o)

Many thanks indeed,

Marco

The Lynx has been shown to be one of the most transparent AD/DA Converter.

I guess you should also look at RME's offerings (fx Fireface UFX or smaller brothers).

If separates are an option and money is no objection, Weiss DAC1-MK2 and ADC2 would be nice, too.

Cheers,

Peter

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

used metric halo lio-8

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three .

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

With combined AD/DA you better go pro.

Quality, availability and lots of bang for the buck.

Check out the Lynx Aurora 16-VT for great value for money:

Aurora 16-VT

Alternatively RME or others in similar price range.

For the best of the best - the Rolls-Royce:

Multi-channel Audio Interface, AD/DA Converter, Microphone Preamp > Apogee Symphony I/O > Apogee Electronics

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Rolls Royce - yeah. But "best" is debatable. Correlation depth is marginal better for repeated DAAD, but e.g. the Lynx Hilo nulls down quite a lot deeper. [1]

To be fair, I would say the Apogee is one of the best - but there is competition for the title :-)

Cheers,

Peter

[1] Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker - Page 7 - Gearslutz.com

Home: Apple Macbook Pro 17" --Mini-Toslink--> Cambridge Audio DacMagic --XLR--> 2x Genelec 8020B

Work: Apple Macbook Pro 15" --USB--> Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 --1/4\"--> Superlux HD668B / 2x Genelec 6010A

@Charlotte: Do you think your Lynx Hilo sounds better than your Metric Halo? I have realised that u've the Hilo ;)

Second, I love the Lynx Hilo's feature of having a line mixer on board so that I can mix different input sources. Does the Metric Halo has the feature as well?

By measurements, the Hilo is MUCH more transparent than the Halo (like more than 10dB).

Cheers,

Peter

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the tip with Apogee Symphony!!!

I checked the version 2x6! However, i am bit lost with the analog input.

To connect my external phono pre-amp with the Symphony Energy 2x6, can i use somehow the analog female XLR-input?

Sounds bit harsh to pay 1000bucks more for the 8x8 version to get only my turntable connected :P

Sorry, I am an amateur :)

Thanks for the tip with Apogee Symphony!!!

I checked the version 2x6! However, i am bit lost with the analog input.

To connect my external phono pre-amp with the Symphony Energy 2x6, can i use somehow the analog female XLR-input?

Sounds bit harsh to pay 1000bucks more for the 8x8 version to get only my turntable connected :P

You can use the analogue input if your phono pre-amp has a balanced output (XLR).

I would usually expect balanced input/output if this is the class of equipment you are looking for.

If not, have a look at the Lynx Aurora 16-VT or perhaps one of the others on the aforementioned list:

Evaluating AD/DA loops by means of Audio Diffmaker - Page 7 - Gearslutz.com

Promise Pegasus2 R6 12TB -> Thunderbolt2 ->
MacBook Pro M1 Pro -> Motu 8D -> AES/EBU ->
Main: Genelec 5 x 8260A + 2 x 8250 + 2 x 8330 + 7271A sub
Boat: Genelec 8010 + 5040 sub

Hifiman Sundara, Sennheiser PXC 550 II
Blog: “Confessions of a DigiPhile”

Apogee Duet 2 if you can live with 2 in and 4 out. I'm liking this as a possible portable solution w/ Macbook Pro. I have an old EMU 1616m, but it's Windows only and the original Cardbus interface for laptops is no longer included on laptops. Nice thing about it - it actually has a turntable input.

Any comments on SQ and other details about the Duet 2?

JohnMH

• 4 weeks later...

Hello,

I am still searching for the right equipment and studying ...

i have a related technical question to those audiophile ADDA converters.

=> I'd like to use this ADDA also as source switcher / monitor controller connceting my CD player, phono pre amp of turntable), and my laptop.

=> Furthermore, i want to connect my active speakers via balanced analog outputs of the ADDA

As I have also my turntable + phono preamp as source, I won't need any conversion of the analog signal. I'd like to keep the analog signal so that the ADDA is only passing through the analog signal.

Can I expect that all AD/DA converters with analog inputs have this feature? (I dont know the correct name for this feature)

Thanks a lot!

I'm just looking at the block diagram for the RME Fireface UCX audio interface and it appears that all analogue inputs go through A to D conversion and all analog outputs are fed by D to A converters. So no direct pass-through of analog signals. No purely analog preamp functions.

JohnMH

• 2 months later...
Thank you!!!

So I should concentrate my search for an ADDA which has the feature of a direct pass-through of analog signals so that i can listen to my turntable without signal conversions.

Any ideas for such ADDA?

An internal ADDA conversion is nothing to worry about, because good interfaces (RME, Lynx, PRISM SOUND, Apogee, Mytek) will use the same internal clock for AD and DA. Any good analog bypass would add unnecessary cost better spent otherwise. At 24/192 I/O nobody will spot any difference. It is rather advisable to use a good interface's mic preamp for phono, especially if your cartridge is MC. RIAA can be done by software, e. g. PureVinyl. You might want to recable your deck to use XLR. Unless you have a very, very good phono preamp, save the money and use your interface instead.

My Pacific Microsonics Model 2 does a pass through of the audio signal as one of its options. The other is to hear the digitized version of the signal. At the highest level of playback for my system, I can play 15 ips 2 track Reel to Reel tape through the pass through of the Model Two with no sonic degradation. I am very happy with the sonic results. So far I have digitized over 3000 albums and tapes, all to 192/24, using the PM Model 2, with Pyramix software. The Vinyl is also processed through Izotope RX2 software for clicks and pops. It is definitely pro equipment and I believe I benefited from having an experienced pro set the machine up and teach me how to use it. They are only available used and not cheap - only a few hundred were made, but I think they are the best or very close to the best. I also have a custom built phono pre from Bottlehead with variable EQ for my pre RIAA records.

Larry

Analog-VPIClas3,3DArm,LyraSkala+MiyajimaZeromono,Herron VTPH2APhono,2AmpexATR-102+MerrillTridentMaster TapePreamp

Dig Rip-Pyramix,IzotopeRX3Adv,MykerinosCard,PacificMicrosonicsModel2; Dig Play-Lampi Horizon, mch NADAC, Roon-HQPlayer,Oppo105

Electronics-DoshiPre,CJ MET1mchPre,Cary2A3monoamps; Speakers-AvantgardeDuosLR,3SolosC,LR,RR

Other-2x512EngineerMarutaniSymmetrical Power+Cables Music-1.8KR2Rtapes,1.5KCD's,500SACDs,50+TBripped files