IGNORED

HQPlayer's Network Audio Adapter

6 hours ago, luisma said:

By the way building the NAA I installed these packages libasound2 libasound2-data libasound2-plugins alsa-utils but I don't remember installing these for the HQPe PC, are these recommended for the HQPe PC?

Except alsa-utils, all the same are specified as requirements for HQPlayer Desktop and Embedded. For those too, alsa-utils can be useful, depending if you need to adjust audio interface settings through "alsamixer" (part of alsa-utils package).

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

I do network engineering and architecture for a living (last 25 years or so) if the environment doesn't need it I remove all IPv6 stack, with regular apps it created so much issues (especially Microsoft environments) Linux on the other hand is a lot cooler ...

Thanks 

I think on Win10 the IPv6 support seems to work quite OK while WIn 7 has some problems. On macOS it is still pain due to some design decisions they made on the OS how IPv6 multicast is handled. So I have disabled IPv6 features on macOS, but NAA stuff is dual-stack even with IPv6 enabled, so all IPv4 things still work through the backwards compatibility. In other cases, pure IPv6 is usually better (QoS etc etc).

I especially like the IPv6 auto-configuration features where one doesn't need a DHCP server or anything for local network and devices can figure out proper local network configuration without supporting infrastructure. So even if one's network is not particularly configured for IPv6 support, having it enabled keeps things like NAA functional through IPv6 without extra effort.

I agree with you, the issue is with networks and domains where domain controllers, DNS and other services are involved, Microsoft prefers IPv6 but if there are any clients not supporting it these may suffer from that preference, just like the wireless, Microsoft prefers wireless over wired, if you give higher priority to wired (which I always do for customers who are both) I just find with next Windows update microsoft changes that preference to wireless again no matter what the customer has selected.

Linux is a different animal alltogether, so my experience with Windows Server differs and overall I try to stay away from IPv6, now none of my customer is interested in music or audio :( so sad

10 hours ago, Miska said:

Did you try it on a regular PC? Or my bootable RasPi3 image?  Raspberry Pi hardware is really stupid design with ethernet and the USB port sharing the same USB bus for some reason. This causes lot of problems when you try to use network and USB port at the same time.

If you recall, I’m trying to get this working for WiFi — the iFi Micro works great with the RPi3B+ at DSD256 — I have both Celeron running W10 and the ClearFog (Marvell SoC) which work great — the Topping DX7s does PCM384 with the RPi no problem. 

Yeah  next step is to see if Topping can do DSD with another machine. Then perhaps getting Debian buster running? The new changes to the sound branch take a very long time to trickle down to the raspbian branch. The boot loader is “special” so not sure how much work this is worth ... too bad these Thesycon DACs seem to have trouble with Linux ...

Speaking of HQPe ...waiting to pull trigger on  NVidia Jetson Xavier ;) 

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Just for testing I'm trying to stream directly from my Roon Server / HQPe to my Roon Bridge / NetworkAudioD NAA. HQPE works fine, Roon will see the DAC but it doesn't allow me to select it for audio... bug maybe on the latest release? I don't know let me open a ticket with them (out of context on this thread I know)

18 minutes ago, luisma said:

Just for testing I'm trying to stream directly from my Roon Server / HQPe to my Roon Bridge / NetworkAudioD NAA. HQPE works fine, Roon will see the DAC but it doesn't allow me to select it for audio... bug maybe on the latest release? I don't know let me open a ticket with them (out of context on this thread I know)

Generally, you need to choose between two paths:

1) HQPlayer + NAA with Roon configured with HQPlayer as endpoint

2) Roon standalone

You cannot have HQPlayer/NAA and Roon talking to the same DAC at the same time.

Well I have the 4.18 arm64 kernel (buster) compiled & running for the RPi3B+ with WiFi working and networkaudiod (xenial) arm64 installed ... not automagically recognizing my DAC (though lsusb sees it) (this one iFi Micro) ... I suspect it’s something with ALSA ... do you know if this version of networkaudiod is compatible?

13 minutes ago, jabbr said:

Well I have the 4.18 arm64 kernel (buster) compiled & running for the RPi3B+ with WiFi working and networkaudiod (xenial) arm64 installed ... not automagically recognizing my DAC (though lsusb sees it) (this one iFi Micro) ... I suspect it’s something with ALSA ... do you know if this version of networkaudiod is compatible?

Does "aplay -l" show the device? Or can you find it in /proc/asound?

What is your libasound2 (alsa-lib) version?

7 hours ago, Miska said:

Does "aplay -l" show the device? Or can you find it in /proc/asound?

No, just the hdmi device

What is your libasound2 (alsa-lib) version?

1.1.6-1

I suspect I don’t have the snd -usb-audio driver compiled

Progress ... kernel 4.18 asoundlib 1.1.6

I guess there are two config flags CONFIG_SND_USB as well as CONFIG_SND_USB_AUDIO ... I set the second also ?

aplay -l recognizes DX7s and HQPlayer can select it ... first time got stuttering DSD256 but networkaudiod drops out frequently

[networkaudiod] (1727): networkaudiod Copyright (C) 2011-2018 Jussi Laako / Signalyst. All rights reserved.
[networkaudiod] (1727): asoundlib version: 1.1.6
[networkaudiod] (1727): discovery from [::ffff:192.168.1.21]:53897
[networkaudiod] (1727): connection from [::ffff:192.168.1.21]:56937
[networkaudiod] (1727): Found ALSA device: hw:CARD=DX7s,DEV=0 - DX7s: USB Audio
[networkaudiod] (1727): begin disconnection
[networkaudiod] (1727): ALSA backend uninitialized
[networkaudiod] (1727): disconnected [::ffff:192.168.1.21]:56937

dumb question ,  is the use of a dedicated mini pc, rasberry etc..  for end point too  HQplayer  is really better than  using the  one PC doing the task alone with an usb isolator ?   really want to know if 'm loosing something ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

55 minutes ago, juanitox said:

dumb question ,  is the use of a dedicated mini pc, rasberry etc..  for end point too  HQplayer  is really better than  using the  one PC doing the task alone with an usb isolator ?   really want to know if 'm losing something ?

Yes these dedicated devices are for NAA i.e. network renderer. I am not looking at the raspberry for use with wired ethernet, rather because the new one (3 B+) has WiFi 802.11ac ... for general NAA purpose the NUC as listed above, or the ClearFog is much better...

Regarding USB isolator, I bought the Raspberry because I figured that it would be easy to show an improvement with the ISO Regen in between the NAA and DAC ... the Raspberry isn't known to have a particularly great clock etc ... but I can't hear a difference with an iFi Micro so I'm looking at other DACs e.g. Topping DX7s ... running down a rabbit hole ...

3 hours ago, luisma said:

I would like to say YES but still have inconclusive results, will update this thread later 

ok let me explain my only concern is what will sound better :

my config:  : PC with LPS running HQplayer doind PCM to 512DSD - usb isolator (intona)- DAC

or  PC HQP doing PCM to DSD512- Nuc LPS power supply  HQP NAA - ( usb isolator ?)- DAC

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker