IGNORED

using the ENTECH LINE NOISE MONITOR METER "THE NOISE SNIFFER"

CB3874

Hello,

I just picked up an Entech Line Noise Monitor Meter from eBay. I'm not sure what to make of the results. I get a reading of 27 - 25 when I plug the meter directly into all the outlets where all my gear resides. Here is a list of what's plug in. Various combination of items are on throughout the day, but the fridge, WiFi, security system are on 24 / 7.

* guitar tube amps

* bass solid state amp

* iMac

* guitars & basses

* USB 2 audio interface

* active speakers

* 40" LCD TV

* WiFi router

* Main cable box

* mini fridge (need cold beer)

* security system

I'm using a Tripp Lite ISOLATOR™ Series, IS250, Isolation Transformer-Based Power Conditioner ( Tripp Lite Isolation Transformer-Based Power Conditioner - Superior line noise reduction and spike suppression (IS250) ) & a Tripp Lite ISOBar 6 ( Tripp Lite Premium Isobar Surge Suppressor with 6 outlets and a 6-ft. cord (ISOBAR6) ). When I plugged the meter into them, I'm getting a reading of 30 - 27.

How should I interpret these readings. Am I getting very little of RFI / EMI noise through my power lines. All the outlets in the house gave me an average of 30 - 27. The sole exception is the downstairs bathroom where I was getting a reading of 10 - 5. I think downstairs bathroom is the only room that has it own circuit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

I interpret the readings as "You should set up a listening rig in your downstairs bathroom and let us know how it sounds!"

Seriously, I look forward to following this thread, and hope others can chime in.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

I Google'd this for a bit and could not find much. I did find the following in another forum

"As someone who deals with power line quality I will have to say I am a little surprised that I have never seen this device before. I was also unable to come up with any meaningful links to this device in a quick google. I did find a few for sale but no body seems to be able to describe what it really does.

I also have to question the usefulness of a device that just displays a number with no units of measurement.

So what exactly is is measuring?"

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

I did find this link where someone reviews using it, but does not really explain how it works. Now I am very curious.

HiFi-Tuning Noise Destroyer Review By Rick Becker

Main / Office: Home built computer -> Roon Core (Tidal & FLAC) -> Wireless -> Matrix Audio Mini-i Pro 3 -> Dan Clark Audio AEON 2 Noire (On order)

Portable / Travel: iPhone 12 Pro Max -> ALAC or Tidal -> iFi Hip Dac -> Meze 99 Classics or Meze Rai Solo

You could try the AudioPrism Noise Sniffer. It provides sound feedback rather than numbers. It's designed to be use with their own shunt devices, which are very effective.

Hello,

I just picked up an Entech Line Noise Monitor Meter from eBay. I'm not sure what to make of the results. I get a reading of 27 - 25 when I plug the meter directly into all the outlets where all my gear resides. Here is a list of what's plug in. Various combination of items are on throughout the day, but the fridge, WiFi, security system are on 24 / 7.

* guitar tube amps

* bass solid state amp

* iMac

* guitars & basses

* USB 2 audio interface

* active speakers

* 40" LCD TV

* WiFi router

* Main cable box

* mini fridge (need cold beer)

* security system

I'm using a Tripp Lite ISOLATOR™ Series, IS250, Isolation Transformer-Based Power Conditioner ( Tripp Lite Isolation Transformer-Based Power Conditioner - Superior line noise reduction and spike suppression (IS250) ) & a Tripp Lite ISOBar 6 ( Tripp Lite Premium Isobar Surge Suppressor with 6 outlets and a 6-ft. cord (ISOBAR6) ). When I plugged the meter into them, I'm getting a reading of 30 - 27.

How should I interpret these readings. Am I getting very little of RFI / EMI noise through my power lines. All the outlets in the house gave me an average of 30 - 27. The sole exception is the downstairs bathroom where I was getting a reading of 10 - 5. I think downstairs bathroom is the only room that has it own circuit. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

HD-PLEX LPS > SLK (Chinese) DC Power Cable > Mac Mini 2012 (Uptone MMK / SnakeOil OS) > LPS-1 > UpTone ISO Regen > USPCB > Chord Mojo > WireWorld Nano-Silver Eclipse > AudioEngine A2+

Which version of the noise sniffer did you get? Describe the controls on the front and I'll explain how to use it.

These are a modification of the trifield meter Trifield® Meter that Monster had made to demonstrate the effectiveness of the filtering in the Monster Power Centers. The first generation also had the radiated field function so you could see how much noise is radiated from various sources. That was dropped from later units.

Essentially you set the meter to 100 on an unfiltered line and then move the cord to a filtered outlet to see the reduction (in percent).

Its similar to the audio prizm noise sniffer (a modified baby monitor) with a broader band for the noise monitoring. Its not a lab instrument and no substitute for a spectrum analyzer for troubleshooting powerline noise problems. But it can be useful to find noise sources and quiet outlets.

Perversely, we found one common and significant noise source were cheap CD and DVD players. They all just barely meet the FCC requirements. I'm sure in development they kept reducing the filter until it just passed to save the last few pennies.

I would get a handful of line filters, even modest ones (a 1uF X cap can be very effective) and filter the noise sources at the source. The wires will radiate and you want to catch the noise before it gets into the line.

Demian Martin

auraliti http://www.auraliti.com

Constellation Audio http://www.constellationaudio.com

NuForce http://www.nuforce.com

Monster Cable http://www.monstercable.com

Here's a brief description :

This meter is a measuring instrument capable of monitoring and measuring the radio frequency noise ranging from 300KHz-700KHz present on 120VAC 60Hz power outlets.

NO 220-240 VAC UNITS

The meter's speaker projects the amplified demodulated AM FM noise present on the power line under test. A very handy and capable meter designed to show the end user if the power supplied or generated is "clean" or "dirty". Dirty or noisy is undesirable for ANY home or business with amplified systems. This unit tests the cleanliness of the power being used. Clean power is what you'd want in your entertainment system for optimal sound clarity. Before you buy an expensive system make sure it's power line is clean as can be for the best sound quality with this meter.

Please read the instruction manual for the entire detailed description. Read section VII of the manual for the operational setup to properly utilize this meter. This is the key to understanding how the meter works to identify a "dirty" or "noisy" power line supply.

$(KGrHqF,!hsE+lNNkupBBQJB18ECIg~~60_3.JPG

$(KGrHqJ,!oIF!Fg)VFV7BQJBjoTIbw~~60_57.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 years later...

I have an Entech and also an Alphalab one. The Entech shows repeatable changes in noise with filters, the Alphalab doesn't seem to show any changes.

I wonder what bandwidth each one is using and what exactly they are measuring. Anyone knows? What's the schematic?

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics