IGNORED

AudioQuest Dragonfly vs. Arcam rPac vs. Audioengine D1 vs. HRT Music Streamer II

Ok folks, I'm a college student with a budget, and after hours of online research, these are the best DACs I found. Now, I really need your help eliminating, and comparing and contrasting these, since I can't compare all four of them anywhere close to where I live. Also, I don't care about features, all I want to know is which one will produce the BEST sound. My current set up is a late 2011 MacBook Pro with its standard sound card, Channel D Pure Music iTunes plug-in, and a pair of Audioengine A2, which I will be connecting the DAC to, obviously. And yes, most of my music library is in Apple Lossless codec. HELP! Please and thank you.

I have a Dragonfly and Audioengine A2 speakers plugged into it. I can't tell you it is better than the other combinations, because I haven't tried them, but you will not be disappointed. That combo sounds great in my office. I later added a Velodyne Microvee.

If you are really short on spare change, just get the Audioengine A2s and run them with with the internal DAC of your Macbook Pro (or is that what you are saying is your current set-up?). If it is, then just get either the Dragonfly or the D1.

I have listened to both an Audioengine D1 and a VDAC with an upgraded power supply with the A2 speakers, and I prefer the VDAC by a wide margin over the D1. While I do not know how the VDAC compares with the options you mention, I suspect it is comparable. This would lead me to suggest eliminating the D1. The audible difference between the VDAC and D1 was primarily the more expansive sound stage and better separation of instruments with the VDAC.

• 1 month later...

Check out the new iFi Micro iDAC. Not many reviews yet as it is so new, but I read one in which the reviewer claims it sounded better than the Dragonfly (if I find the review again, I'll provide a link). iFi Micro is the recently set-up 'more affordable consumer division' of AMR and uses 'trickle down' technology from AMR. I'm going to purchase one ($299), but I will not be able to compare it a DF. Free shipping from Stereodesk and if you don't like it, you can send it back. Please note that I am not claiming it is "better" than any other DAC mentioned in this thread; I decided to purchase b/d I like the size, technology, specs and the reviews that I've read are good, though most reviews are for the iUSB (long thread on this forum).

The 'review' mentioning the DF was on the iFi Audio facebook page. FWIW, here it is:

Wow'ed by the iDac

Bob Walters the Vice President of the Bay Area Audiophile Society Audiophile Society, wanted to try the iDAC and then bring it to the society meeting for some comparisons.

After receiving the iDac he commented:

"I have been critically listening for a couple of hours...

Holy sh!t. This thing blows away the sub-$500 competition. Wipes it. The myDAC (dull, very poor USB handling) is not on the same planet, nor is Dragonfly (a bit dark and muddles complex material).

The closest that I have in this category is the ESI stuff.

(I'd love to hear that 777 - never have.)

Brilliant.

Greetings Bob

Senn HD 650, Perreaux Sihoutte SXH1 amp

Dell XPS 8100 Realtek HD Audio SC w/ Tru Studio PC software (Creative/THX) & Dell XPS laptop, Swann D1080 Mk II speakers

Denon AVR 3806, Denon DVD 1920, Revel Concerta F12 speakers, Monster HTS 3500 Mk II and various cables.

I have got a DF and was very happy with the sound and size but it died too fast and soon. Maybe it was not such a good idea to pack 100 something parts in a thumb. Sure electronic dies but just checking the forums I found a few reports of malfunctioning DF.

@Home: AIFF > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" USB3 > MBP 15" 8GB RAM / Audirvana Plus > ifi iUSBPower > Bel Canto mLink > Bel Canto e.One DAC2.5 > Wyred 4 SX-1000 > Wilson Audio Sophia II

@Work: ALAC > LaCie Rikiki 2.5" > DELL laptop > JDS LABS OBJECTIVEDAC (ODAC) > JDS LABS C421 > Sennheiser Momentum or Sennheiser HD650 or Sennheiser HD25