IGNORED

Preinstallation failed! Please run setup again. If you are asked to confirm installation of software, please confirm.

This error message is a gem from Windows 8 Pro 64 bit.

XMOS-Thesycon-64-bit-windows-8.png

The message pops up when trying to install XMOS / Thesycon USB drivers that haven't been "signed". Windows 8 Pro 64 bit enforces code signing more rigorously than the 32 bit version. To get around this error and install the unsigned USB drivers for your DAC follow these instructions.

On the "Metro" Start Screen move your mouse to the upper or lower right corner of the screen. When the Charms menu appears click on the Gear icon, usually the bottom icon. On the following little screen select More PC Settings. After than a screen with several options on the left will appear. Select General on the left menu. Scroll to the bottom on the right and selectRestart Now under Advanced Setup. Your PC will appear to restart then popup another menu with options. Select Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options, then Windows Startup Settings, then Restart. Once the PC restarts select the option (number 7 maybe?) that says Disable Driver Signature Enforcement. When Windows boots you'll be able to install the XMOS / Thesycon USb drivers for your USB DAC. Restarting after than will return the PC to its normal code enforcement policy.

To Disable Driver Signature Enforcement permanently follow these instructions:

On the "Metro" Start Screen right click any blanks space. Select All Apps in the lower right corner. Scroll until you find Command Prompt. Right click Command Prompt then select run as administrator from the new menu that appears at the bottom of the screen. In the command prompt window type the following commands and hit enter.

bcdedit -set loadoptions DISABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING ON

To re-enable Driver Signature Enforcement permanently follow these instructions:

On the "Metro" Start Screen right click any blanks space. Select All Apps in the lower right corner. Scroll until you find Command Prompt. Right click Command Prompt then select run as administrator from the new menu that appears at the bottom of the screen. In the command prompt window type the following commands and hit enter.

bcdedit -set loadoptions ENABLE_INTEGRITY_CHECKS

bcdedit -set TESTSIGNING OFF

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Doesn't beat my favourite ever Windows error message (from Windows 3.1)... "Not enough space to delete this file; delete one or more files and try again."

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Damn, Chris! I could've offered you payback after all your help so far! I found this a couple days ago (trying to install 1.61 in Win 8 preview) and found same Windows Safe Mode-style solution. Could've posted and saved you some time and effort. (This was after several attempts and re-installs of 1.29, which installs easily cuz its signature is not so restrictive).