IGNORED

How To Install XMOS / Thesycon USB Drivers On Windows 8

All XMOS / Thesycon USB drivers I've tried on Windows 8 32-bit version have installed just fine, but the process isn't as smooth as Windows 7 for now. Here is a quick rundown of how the installation goes.

Method One:

Run the Setup file to install the drivers.

Receive the following popup message.

This Setup cannot run on the current operating system. Supported systems are:

001.png

After clicking OK the following Compatibility Assistant window will appear. Select "Run the program using compatibility settings."

002.png

Some drivers will produce two messages like the following. Select "Install this driver anyway" and that's it.

003.png

Method Two:

This is only necessary if the compatibility feature are not enabled or if for some reason the popup doesn't appear.

Find the Setup file and right click it. Select Properties.

005.png

Select the Compatibility Tab, click "Run this program in compatibility mode for:" and select Windows 7.

After the installation find the Uninstall file most likely in C:\Program Files\... and do the same thing as above by selecting Windows 7. This will allow the uninstallation to run smoothly when the time comes.

006.png

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Pal55 - Poland was very nice and the people were wonderful. I returned in one piece but very tired after such a short trip over the weekend. I'm not complaining though :~)

Installing the drivers on Windows 8 64-bit is bit of a pain but I've written instructions on how to get it done.

Here is a link -> http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/preinstallation-failed-please-run-setup-again-if-you-are-asked-confirm-installation-software-please-confirm-13783/

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Hi Chris, thanks but it doesn't work for me. Maybe because the driver I'm trying to install is not "pure" Thesycon as it comes from Bricasti (for their M1 DAC). I haven't tried the "permanent" solution you described, but the easy, one-time with Windows restart and selecting option 7 (for not checking if the drivers are signed) didn't work. I guess it must be some particular problem with Bricasti version of that driver.

Always the same - that the driver is compatible with... list of systems ending with WIN7 64 bit so it can't install - it doesn't matter if I do it in regular mode or safe mode, or checking if drivers are signed off. So in fact it doesn't even start to install - just run exe file with driver and than information that it is not compatible with system.

Yes, with WIN7, with WIN XP SP3 - I think I've tried every option. I have no idea if and how much D/A converter's manufacturers change original Thesycon driver, but in the act of desperation I even downloaded the newest (2.7 I think) version of driver from Thesycon webpage that is supposed to work win WIN8, and it did not install either. But this one said something like it couldn't communicate with the device (I'm away from home for weekend so I can't check exactly what it said). Maybe that's because Bricasti changes something in the driver - no idea.

• 4 weeks later...

When you install remember to open the Thesycon "control panel" and set buffer as low as you can. I have owned a Meitner MA1 for 6 months without knowing this and only today went and changed the buffer way down to 2 milliseconds.....what an improvement to the sound from what I already thought was a great DAC.

I am using JPlay RC1 for playback through Greenlabel USB cable.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

Thank you for suggestion, but I already knew it - Marcin from JPlay made it very clear - set buffer as low as possibly, unless you get a clipping sound - than you need to increae it a bit. Anyway - Bricasti is a great D/A converter, but know I got Calyx Femto for review and it sound, in my ears of course, even better ;-) And there was no problem installing driver for WIN8 (in compatibility mode for Win7).

i'm running windows 8 x64 and have a SOtM USB-HD and running fine with the supplied drivers. i had the same error as mentioned above, any compatibility settings did not help at all. i just installed the drivers manually. Both USB Class Driver Control Panel as the SpyTool work fine.

ıllıllı [  ...AO 4.00 BETA... ] ıllıllı
____________________________________________________________________________________

Shop | Reviews | Reference System | AudiophileOptimizer 3.00 | PDF Guide

Installed the latest Thesycon driver now available for the Meitner MA1 for Win8 and did not like it at all. Sound was not great on low latency settings and when adjusted to work without distortion the sound did not have any real magic. To see if I was imagining this I went back to the old driver with compatibility mode install in Win8 and no problem setting buffer at 2 and Asio at 4. The sound is wonderful again. I am afraid in my setup this latest driver just does not sit well with Win8.

Audio PC - Gigabyte H97M-D3H, i7 at 800Mhz, RAM at 800Mhz & PPA OCXO Mobo, Teradak ATX Linear for 20 pin ATX on Mobo, Paul Hynes SR7EHD 12v, 5v & 5v supply on Mobo, Stammheim 12x LT3045's for 1.3v to RAM direct supply, JCat V2 USB Card, WTFPlay Linux Audiophile Player control by MELE F10, Startech LEX to REX on 12v Paul Hynes with 2x SLC cards and out by POE to ISO/Regen, PPA Red USB Cable, Lampizator Big7, Nige design Lifepo4 powered amp, Raidho C1s.

• 2 months later...

guys,

i have a zuma running windows 7 64 bit version.

i have a sotm pci express usb 3 .0 card and Ayre QB-9 DAC.

anyone knows the link to the drivers to be downloaded.?

the qb-9 dac by default does not detected. if i plug into the motherboards native ports it shows up fine.

Hi guys- the Thesycon drivers often unzip to the disk under Windows7 or Windows 8 as encrypted files. At least they do if your version of Windows supports encryption. That gives you the error about "preinstallation failed." You can get a clue to this because the files will display as green text when you look at them in Windows Explorer.

Just right click on the folder containing the drivers (or on each individual file, the folder is easier), select General-->Advanced, and remove encryption. Your install will go fine after that.

Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

guys,

i have a zuma running windows 7 64 bit version.

i have a sotm pci express usb 3 .0 card and Ayre QB-9 DAC.

anyone knows the link to the drivers to be downloaded.?

the qb-9 dac by default does not detected. if i plug into the motherboards native ports it shows up fine.

Download them from Ayre's site.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

actually my problem was silly and error was on my side.after i changed the power switch on the card to bus powered mode then the DAC got detected.

however i have another issue.when i install the driver from ayre site the 1.26 version it failes to detect the DAC.it keeps on prompting make sure the DAC is connected and powered on.i unplugged and plugged it back again but still does not help.

any pointers?

i'm running windows 8 x64 and have a SOtM USB-HD and running fine with the supplied drivers. i had the same error as mentioned above, any compatibility settings did not help at all. i just installed the drivers manually. Both USB Class Driver Control Panel as the SpyTool work fine.

How did you manually install the driver? I have the Berekeley Alpua USB. I've tried installing the xmos 1.26.0 driver using various compatibility modes and it keeps telling me "installation failed." I have Chris' recommended Zuma setup which includes windows 8 64 bit pro. Thanks for any help.

THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX

Dumb question perhaps, but did you check to be sure the dri er install files are not stored on the disk in encrypted format? The files would show up in green in explorer after you extract them.

How did you manually install the driver? I have the Berekeley Alpua USB. I've tried installing the xmos 1.26.0 driver using various compatibility modes and it keeps telling me "installation failed." I have Chris' recommended Zuma setup which includes windows 8 64 bit pro. Thanks for any help.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein