IGNORED

SOtM + Wavelink HS or Off-Ramp 5 ?

Hi there,

I was about to get the pieces to build a CAPS v2 music player (Thanks to Chris Connaker) including a SOtM tX-USBexp PCIe card that would be connected to a Wavelink HS. The idea was to power the motherboard, SOtM card, and Wavelink HS with Haynes PSUs.

Then, the Off-Ramp 5 came to my mind and I wondered if it would be a better option as the price of a system with it would be almost the same as I would have one less device to buy and power (the SOtM is not compatible with the Off-Ramp)

So, which system do you think would be superior:

a) 3 Hynes PSUs + Motherboard + SOtM PCIe card + Wavelink HS

b) 2 Hynes PSUs + Motherboard + Off-Ramp 5 (I could even throw in the Short Block USB filter from Empirical audio or the S/PDIF Hynes regulator to the Off-Ramp to equal the price of both options)

Thanks,

Victor.

Thanks for the answer Bill. After reading and reading posts I got to a similar conclusion: that the off-ramp seems to be a bit better than the Wavelink but I always thought that this was valid when both converters were working in the same conditions.

In the case that I propose the Off-Ramp is connected to a USB port from the motherboard while the Wavelink would be connected to the more sophisticated USB output from the SOtM PCIe card.

I had similar thoughts but bit the bullet anyway, as I still have async usb input to my dac for hi-res.

I wasn't sure I wanted to spend so much on a usb/spdif converter (like a dcs or a soulution) and this was quite a no-brainer. Imagine if you heard low-res (and downsampled files) sounding better than hi-res on another converter.

I used to use a Wavelink. It is quite good, but it improves quite a bit if one provides an external supply. I used Salas shunt regulator to power it (via a small USB B-B adapter I made which breaks out the +5VDC and G lines) and was quite impressed with the improvement. Steve appears to good work with his clocking, but I sure hate the idea of not being able to take advantage of an SOtM card, and hate having to have drivers even more... I would love to see what Steve could do with XMOS someday...

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio