IGNORED

Question re compatibility with Audiogd Digital Interface

Hope this is the right place to post this - if not feel free to move it. Its about the AMR DP 777 DAC as much as the Audiogd device.

Hi guys and gals

I have been reading a fair amount - in a short space of time - and one thing quite a few people seem to feel is that a coax output sounds better than a usb one - I certainly hold to that re red book transports connected to red book DACS - so in order to explore that I bought a S/H Audigd digital interface to explore that possibility.

In doing so I may well have stepped into my first incompatibility issue - so I ask the question do I in fact have that or have I perhaps missed something in the set up - which is possible.

Here is the set up to provide more info

I am using either an Acer 1810TZ Notebook or Sony VPCEB4E4E laptops + external HD. The DAC is an AMR DP777. The media engine was Winamp - not bought J River yet though I intend to. Both laptops display the same problem in that there is no sound from the DAC using the Audiogd and a coax cable. The device is set correctly in the laptop - as far as I know - but Winamp refuses to play any music while the Audiogd is selected. If I switch to the usb - ASIO driver for the AMR DP777 there is music. Or if I select the spdif optical out on the Acer that produces music.

I have tried the Audiogd as a coax improver and music played - I used a Marantz CD player as the transport so the Audiogd is working at least in this role.

I am stumped as to why this isn't working. No doubt its something simple but if so I can't see it.

To anyone replying please consider me somewhat ignorant and give me the idiots guide and a step by step solution/check list and simply is probably best than being more advanced.

Thank you in advance.

Regards Neil

System Details: Fujitsu/Acer Notebook/Sony Vaio laptops + 2TB eGo HD, J River/Winamp, Belkin Gold USB cables, AMR DP777 DAC, BAT VK300 SE Integrated amplifier, Gallo Reference 3 SA amplifier , Moon Andromeda CD Player, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers + much more.....

'Its only by asking questions that we can learn'

I feel a bit weird replying to my own OP but having had quite a play around recently with various laptops it now turns out - isn't self discovery a great thing? - that the issue was not the laptops, nor the AMR DP777 at all but in fact the Media Engine instead - or so it seems.

While Winamp is great its pretty basic, especially re sound formats so I took the plunge bought J River and installed it onto all three of the laptops I own including a fairly ancient - by computing time measurements - Fujitsu.

This ran J River with no issue - considering the poor processing capability of the Fujitsu - somewhat of a surprise using the Asio option and via the USB. Nice clean playback with no stuttering or any other sound issues. I put this down initially to that laptop having Asio4all installed - ignorance is a terrible thing - which may be a factor however maybe it is just that the USB outputs are better made/configured than the Acer laptop (not sure about that yet). Anyway pleased with the sound I decided to give the Audiogd interface ago again and low and behold it works.

Now I have not tried the internal options yet - obtained via jumper placement- but it allowed playback of a lot of music with JRiver natively with JRiver DSP conversion required for some tracks 88.2 and 192 khz music. However this extra processing requirement - during conversion - did cause the Fujitsu some issues (I am reasonably sure this is what's wrong) which manifested as slightly distorted/slurred sound.

Wondering if the success was down to J River rather than the Fujitsu I hooked up my Acer again + the Audiogd interface configured everything hit play on J River and shock horror music. The logical conclusion I have come to is that the issue was not laptop derived but Media Engine derived. So setting J River up (via options) to output via any option bar ASIO which does not work with the Audiogd but only USB - or so it seems is that correct? - works well with the Acer laptop.

The question that remains is the effortless native music resolution going to sound better via ASIO USB hook up or via conversion to coax SPDIF. As I sit typing I don't know the answer to that. Maybe an SPDIF/USB converter that converts all sound formats including 88.2 and 192 might.

Anyone any thoughts on the JKenny modified HiFace one?

Regards Neil

System Details: Fujitsu/Acer Notebook/Sony Vaio laptops + 2TB eGo HD, J River/Winamp, Belkin Gold USB cables, AMR DP777 DAC, BAT VK300 SE Integrated amplifier, Gallo Reference 3 SA amplifier , Moon Andromeda CD Player, Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 speakers + much more.....

'Its only by asking questions that we can learn'