IGNORED

Pink Floyd SACD/DSD download?

Hi there

Is it just me or are there really zero places to download the newly Pink Floyd SACD releases - Wish You Were Here and Dark Side Of The Moon ?

I would so much like them in DSD files..but can find nowhere to download.

Only to purchase as SACD , but I can not rip them myself to DSD.

Hope anyone know a place.

Buch

Best Regards

Buch

"If there's no music up in heaven, then what's it for?" (Arcade Fire)

Ipad remote control > Etherregen > Auraliti PK90 > USB HDD > IsoRegen > Aavik U-300 > Raidho X-3 Ceramic Speakers

Buy the blu-ray releases and burn the hi-rez audio off them. I did that for both Dark Side and WYWH, and the files sound great. I'm going to take a guess and say there isn't any place at the moment where you can find a legal copy of that DSD file.

Digital: QNAP TVS-871 > Sonore ultraRendu > Modwright Oppo 205

Analog: VPI Prime w/Kiseki Purpleheart > Zesto Audio Andros 1.2

Amp & Speakers: Modified Line Magnetic 518ia > Daedalus Audio Argos v.2

Backbone: PS Audio P5, Wireworld Silver Electra 7 powercords, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 interconnects, Steve Blinn Designs Audio Rack

Hi Bobby

I can´s believe it is that difficult to download DSD files.. but I am sure you are right.

Just don´t understand that if you can purchase the SACD physical, there is no one to sell it as download also. But maybe this has to do with legal rights and so.

I might go for the Blu-ray versions and try to rip the audio from them. 96/24 is better than redbook , but after I got my Meitner DAC that can play DSD and love Pink Floyd..that would really be my dream to try out :)

I think the only way to rip a physical SACD is by having the first version of PS3, right? Anyone know of another way to do it ? (Sorry if it is not legal - I am not fully into this)

Best Regards

Buch

Ipad remote control > Etherregen > Auraliti PK90 > USB HDD > IsoRegen > Aavik U-300 > Raidho X-3 Ceramic Speakers

The labels need to buy into DSD downloads. They don't see the market yet. One major classical label, Channel Classics, is doing it.

Yes, the only way to rip your SACD collection is via the customized PS3 solution I detail heavily in my guide. It requires some patience, oh, and an early SACD-compatible PS3 that does not have its firmware updated passed 3.55

Ted

Hi Bobby

I can´s believe it is that difficult to download DSD files.. but I am sure you are right.

Just don´t understand that if you can purchase the SACD physical, there is no one to sell it as download also. But maybe this has to do with legal rights and so.

The folks at the major labels have been so worried about piracy they will only sell DSD files by means that ensure you cannot get the best sound from them. That is, they advertise "super audio" CDs from which one cannot get "super audio" without extraordinary means available to very few, then ascribe the lack of sales to piracy. This then leads them to the conclusion that offering DSD downloads would only lead to flagrant piracy and no further sales of SACDs. (After all, Apple's iTunes downloads never sold anything and were overwhelmed by piracy, right? Oh, wait....)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I'm not quite ready to by into that bleak a picture, but it has it's points. :)

I think the whole marketing of high end audio is somewhat sabotaged by ignorance on the part of the decision makers. Yes, the audiophile market is a small segment, a miniscule segment actually. There just isn't any reason for the giant media companies to exploit a market they don't understand and looks expensive.

Or in other words, ignorance rather than greed or a catch 22. ;)

-Paul

The folks at the major labels have been so worried about piracy they will only sell DSD files by means that ensure you cannot get the best sound from them. That is, they advertise "super audio" CDs from which one cannot get "super audio" without extraordinary means available to very few, then ascribe the lack of sales to piracy. This then leads them to the conclusion that offering DSD downloads would only lead to flagrant piracy and no further sales of SACDs. (After all, Apple's iTunes downloads never sold anything and were overwhelmed by piracy, right? Oh, wait....)

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

I still can't believe Pink Floyd didn't jump on the HR download path. I had read a while before they release everything that it was going to take place but of course nada.

That being said I do have files of practically every DSOTM. The Blu-ray is not that big of a difference to me. I still like the MFSL gold disc the best. I know the EQ curve is off(Mikey Fremer told me so!) but I still like the bigger bass. I also have a rip of the MFSL UHQR which is incredible. For WYWH the SACD to me sounds the best.

I totally agree that the labels should offer these files for download. Why make us jump through hoops to get a SACD ripped? If someone was smart they would sell legal vinyl rips as well(unless its a legal mess)!

Furutech GTX-D, GTX Wall Plate,106-D Cover > NCF Clearline >Custom Computer>J River [Current] > Curious Cable Evolved USB > Chord Hugo MScaler > WAVE Storm Dual BNC> Chord DAVE>DCA Stealth>my ears > audiophile brain

Thanks all for your inputs.

Yes, it is such a shame there is no more DSD download available , when there are so many SACD physical releases.

I might try the MFSL gold discs or even consider Ted´s suggestion.. to get a PS3 and rip it myself.

Will definetely have a look at his guide soon.

And then cross my fingers for the labels to see the potential in DSD downloads soon.. even though I know the market is not huge.

Who knows..maybe I should quit my job and start up a DSD download site :)

Best Regards

Buch

• 5 months later...
  • 3 years later...
anyone know how to recognize a SACD disc?

I bought a supposed SACD of The Wall but nowhere on the 2 discs do they say SACD on them (and the album cover/CD packaging was not included by the mail order seller)

You bought a supposed SACD release in a "plain brown wrapper," so to speak, without researching in advance whether such a thing existed in the real world?

Closest I can find is a 2 CD release of The Wall soundtrack as performed live by Roger Waters. Wasn't able to find any SACD version of The Wall in existence, only a James Guthrie project to produce one that's been rumored for about 5 years now.

Hope your seller gives refunds.

For future research: SA-CD.net - Search For example: SA-CD.net - Search

Guthrie project discussion: Pink Floyd's "The Wall" Unavailable on SACD nor DVD-A? | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

You bought a supposed SACD release in a "plain brown wrapper," so to speak, without researching in advance whether such a thing existed in the real world?

Closest I can find is a 2 CD release of The Wall soundtrack as performed live by Roger Waters. Wasn't able to find any SACD version of The Wall in existence, only a James Guthrie project to produce one that's been rumored for about 5 years now.

Hope your seller gives refunds.

For future research: SA-CD.net - Search For example: SA-CD.net - Search

Guthrie project discussion: Pink Floyd's "The Wall" Unavailable on SACD nor DVD-A? | Steve Hoffman Music Forums

I'm a little short on research time right now as I have had to move out of my house (water damage).

It is thru a seller on Amazon so a return is easy.

I'm a little short on research time right now as I have had to move out of my house (water damage).

It is thru a seller on Amazon so a return is easy.

Sorry to hear about your house. Anyway, now that you have the website, future research will be quick.

Here's a good source for rock SACDs if you don't mind waiting for shipping: CDJapan : Japanese Anime, Jpop, Japanese music, Game music, Japanese movie, CD, DVD

There is no SACD of "The Wall" (the 1979 Pink Floyd album)

There are however many bootleg CDs being sold in Asia with "SACD, "HDCD", "XRCD" etc labels on them (sometimes several labels on the same disc). These are generally plain CDs. SACD production facilities are rare, so it would be difficult for a counterfeiter to make real SACDs.

Here's one example of a "HDCD" and "DSD-CD": http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/interesting-pink-floyd-hdcd-of-the-wall.264472/

Claude

Sorry to hear about your house. Anyway, now that you have the website, future research will be quick.

Here's a good source for rock SACDs if you don't mind waiting for shipping: CDJapan : Japanese Anime, Jpop, Japanese music, Game music, Japanese movie, CD, DVD

Thx

It has been a revelatory experience to switch from my regular system to the downstairs system (Epos ESL-3, NAD 2100 amp and a Sony CDP-750 with a tray that won't open...). I brought my laptop, Apple TV and DacMagic downstairs so I have a lot of music I can listen to - about 1,000 albums, or 2/3 of the main system.

No TV for football but I can move to the loca Hilton which has a nice TV, and the ins. co. pays.

I'll be looking for better versions of Pink FLoyd and other favorites after reconstituting the house.

A more general question is why PF hasn't released higher bitrate discs...

• 1 month later...
I still can't believe Pink Floyd didn't jump on the HR download path. I had read a while before they release everything that it was going to take place but of course nada.

That being said I do have files of practically every DSOTM. The Blu-ray is not that big of a difference to me. I still like the MFSL gold disc the best. I know the EQ curve is off(Mikey Fremer told me so!) but I still like the bigger bass. I also have a rip of the MFSL UHQR which is incredible. For WYWH the SACD to me sounds the best.

I totally agree that the labels should offer these files for download. Why make us jump through hoops to get a SACD ripped? If someone was smart they would sell legal vinyl rips as well(unless its a legal mess)!

After much careful listening, I prefer the DSD DSOTM (DSD rip) to the MoFi (gold disc rip). The MoFi is smoother and rounder, the DSD has more low level resolution and feels more dynamic. I suspect this preference will be system dependent: my system is not bright or edgy at all, I could see how with a brighter system one might prefer the MoFi.

I love the WYWH DSD rip as well, best I have ever heard from that album (better than vinyl versions I have).

Agreed that it is too bad labels are reluctant to release a lot of DSD for download, I am not sure that their fears of piracy are really all that, as DSD downloads are going to mostly apply just to audiophiles anyway, and anyone else can just get a free CD/MP3 file anyway from illegal downloads.

But, there are people who will rip your SACDs for you, questionable legality there, but they exist.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Agreed that it is too bad labels are reluctant to release a lot of DSD for download, I am not sure that their fears of piracy are really all that, as DSD downloads are going to mostly apply just to audiophiles anyway, and anyone else and just get a free CD/MP3 file anyway from illegal downloads.

Depends on the record label. These days some record labels are issuing CDs and making DSD Downloads available for listeners who want Stereo and Multichannel DSD files. That helps explain why there are now over 225 albums on NativeDSD that are DSD Exclusively, Never Issued on SACD.

https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse

Depends on the record label. These days some record labels are issuing CDs and making DSD Downloads available for listeners who want Stereo and Multichannel DSD files. That helps explain why there are now over 225 albums on NativeDSD that are DSD Exclusively, Never Issued on SACD.

https://www.nativedsd.com/new_browse

Yeah, but that is mostly classical and a tiny bit of jazz. We can already get a large portion of classical music as a DSD download from various sources. I was referring more to the many, many more popular music titles which were mastered to DSD for SACD release, but which have never been offered via download, a lot of these titles are not even available anymore on SACD, excepting very high price out of print SACDs. We know that these DSD masters still exist and could easily be offered for download, except for the fear of sharing amongst the industry folks.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Maybe, just maybe, PF has some integrity and isn't going to sell its catalog as rehashed files in larger bitbuckets and tell us it is the latest greatest thing so they can make a few extra bucks of us suckers, oops, I mean fans, who will buy anything with an audiophile cachet to it.

Good point. They used a box.

91LcZd3kJWL._SX522_.jpg

Good point. They used a box.

91LcZd3kJWL._SX522_.jpg

Hahaha WG, beat me to it. HNY everyone!

SONORE computer audio

Yeah, but that is mostly classical and a tiny bit of jazz. We can already get a large portion of classical music as a DSD download from various sources. I was referring more to the many, many more popular music titles which were mastered to DSD for SACD release, but which have never been offered via download, a lot of these titles are not even available anymore on SACD, excepting very high price out of print SACDs. We know that these DSD masters still exist and could easily be offered for download, except for the fear of sharing amongst the industry folks.

There are a number of those available from Super HiRez in DSD Stereo Download form. Worth a look.

http://store.acousticsounds.com/index.cfm?get=results&searchtext=Any&CategoryID=391&OrderBy=14