IGNORED

Bookshelf speaker advice

Hello guys,

I am looking to buy speakers for my desk for the price range of 300£. The only speakers that I've looked up are the Focal XS 2.1 which cost 420£. I have read reviews about them and really want to buy them but the exceed my price range.

I already have an M-Audio Firewire Solo sound card so I would someone to help me find speakers that are as good as the Focal's but without a built-in sound card.

I listen to Jazz, Classical Rock and Soul mostly and all of my files are lossless format. I want speakers that can play my lossless music with perfection. Difficult really with my price range.

If it really makes a big different I would spend up to 400£.

Thanks in advance,

Luke :)

Pro-audio suppliers (such as Active Studio Monitors | Production Room) are a good place to look for such speakers - just be aware most are priced individually.

Perhaps the KRK RP6G2 or Genelec 6010A.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Have you considered Audioengine A5+ speakers? They are within your price bracket and perform well.

Main system: Music Server (Win 7/64+Foobar+JPlay) -> Furutech GT2 USB Cable -> Audiolab M-DAC -> Plinius 9200 (Chord Anthem interconnects) -> ATC SCM 40 w/Kimber Kable 8TC speaker cables

I am in the same search mode for great sounding monitors for my system in China (where I live most of the year) for my MacBook Pro / Nuforce uDAC system here. The new Focal XS Book looks interesting, but I would like to hear some opinions about how they sound. The list cost is $399. I tested the Audioengine 5+ while I was back in the US recently and they seemed a bit light on the bass (albeit they had just been received by the audiostore and had never been turned on until I requested the demo).

The Emotiva airmotiv series looks very nice, particularly the airmotiv6 which has the nice feature that it has switchable 220V/110V power input (thus I can use here and in the US). While I believe these are manufactured in China, I cannot seem to find a Chinese distributor and the thought of having them shipped from the US is a concern due to customs, time delay, potential damage, etc.

You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star

I am in the same search mode for great sounding monitors for my system in China (where I live most of the year) for my MacBook Pro / Nuforce uDAC system here. The new Focal XS Book looks interesting, but I would like to hear some opinions about how they sound. The list cost is $399. I tested the Audioengine 5+ while I was back in the US recently and they seemed a bit light on the bass (albeit they had just been received by the audiostore and had never been turned on until I requested the demo).

The Emotiva airmotiv series looks very nice, particularly the airmotiv6 which has the nice feature that it has switchable 220V/110V power input (thus I can use here and in the US). While I believe these are manufactured in China, I cannot seem to find a Chinese distributor and the thought of having them shipped from the US is a concern due to customs, time delay, potential damage, etc.

I have the Airmotiv6's and just love them. Definitely not light on bass.

As mav52 indicated, QMS is the manufacturer although there seems to be differences between the two product lines:

Emotiva Pro airmotiv4 Loudspeakers Review

The Emotiva Lounge - Are these Airmotiv's?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

thanks guys for the reply. The Emotiva's sound very interesting; and are a hell of a bargain. Yesterday I found out that my friend has the Focal and when I listened they sounded amazing. So crisp, so gentle. So I went and bought them :D And probably exactly what I need for a tiny student accommodation room. Because I study film and sound production, I will have in mind the Emotiva 6's for future studio speakers. thanks ;)

thanks guys for the reply. The Emotiva's sound very interesting; and are a hell of a bargain. Yesterday I found out that my friend has the Focal and when I listened they sounded amazing. So crisp, so gentle. So I went and bought them :D And probably exactly what I need for a tiny student accommodation room. Because I study film and sound production, I will have in mind the Emotiva 6's for future studio speakers. thanks ;)

one good thing about Emotiva, if you don't like them you can send them back (Emotiva offers a 30-day, no questions asked, hassle-free returns policy, except for clearance products)

The Truth Is Out There

The Emotiva's sound very interesting; and are a hell of a bargain.

Well, IMO practically everything that has Emotiva's name written on it is a hell of a bargain. Because I live in Western Europe, due to shipping expenses, duty fee and insane tax I ended up paying double the normal price for my XPA-2 power amp that I bought just under a year ago... but I feel that it was a hell of a bargain no matter still (and quite shockingly so :grin: ).

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
one more quick question about the focal xs 2.1

is the internal DAC capable of 24/96 or 24/192 ?

no

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC