IGNORED

Mac Mini With Separate Hard Drive - What's the Benefit?

Hello - I am likely going to buy the new Mac Mini (assuming they're announcing it next week) and use it as my music server. It would be connected to my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC (either through USB or Digital out...whichever turns out to be better).

I see that some folks here have a similar setup but they also use a separate hard drive which (presumably) stores all the music files.

I was wondering why having a separate hard drive in this setup was beneficial? Let's assume the Mac Mini will be used strictly as a music server...no web, movies, etc.

Is it strictly capacity (hard drive) related? I think the current Mac Mini's top out at either 500 or 750 GB.

Or ar there other reasons?

I'd rather not drop another 100-200 on a separate hard drive if I can avoid it. Just curious as to the rationale. I currently have all my music on my MacBook Pro, but it's a pain using a wired connection to my DAC and would like a device that stores my music without a long wire as I surf the web.

Feel free to drop random suggestions on my setup as well :D

Thanks!!

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) --> Monoprice UBS Cable ----> MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK 192 USB TO COAX CONVERTER --> PS Audio Digital Link III DAC --> Onkyo SR608 Receiver --> KEF 3500SE Speakers.

Just a suggestion - plan on dropping that extra money for an external drive, if for no other reason than to provide a removable backup of all your music files.

Seriously.

-Paul

Hello - I am likely going to buy the new Mac Mini (assuming they're announcing it next week) and use it as my music server. It would be connected to my PS Audio Digital Link III DAC (either through USB or Digital out...whichever turns out to be better).

I see that some folks here have a similar setup but they also use a separate hard drive which (presumably) stores all the music files.

I was wondering why having a separate hard drive in this setup was beneficial? Let's assume the Mac Mini will be used strictly as a music server...no web, movies, etc.

Is it strictly capacity (hard drive) related? I think the current Mac Mini's top out at either 500 or 750 GB.

I'd rather not drop another 100-200 on a separate hard drive if I can avoid it. Just curious as to the rationale. I currently have all my music on my MacBook Pro, but it's a pain using a wired connection to my DAC and would like a device that stores my music without a long wire as I surf the web.

Thanks!!

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Just a suggestion - plan on dropping that extra money for an external drive, if for no other reason than to provide a removable backup of all your music files.

Seriously.

-Paul

I second that. Nothing like having a backup when your hard drive on your mini takes a dive and you remember that you backed all of that music you paid for or copied to your external backup hard drive. Believe me, it happens. Spend the money on an external drive.

The Truth Is Out There

Thanks - I have all my files currently on my MacBook Pro. They are backed up using Time Machine with a separate hard drive.

That said, what are the advantages of using a separate hard drive when using a Mac Mini as a music server?

MacBook Pro (Early 2011) --> Monoprice UBS Cable ----> MUSICAL FIDELITY - V-LINK 192 USB TO COAX CONVERTER --> PS Audio Digital Link III DAC --> Onkyo SR608 Receiver --> KEF 3500SE Speakers.

Today I've been configuring a MacMini with 2 SSD 256gb ea as an Itunes/Amarra server to replace my SonyVAIO, and I am asking the same question. Are you planning on adding the Thunderbolt monitor? I was thinking of just connecting the MacMini into my Sony TV to get onscreen graphics via hdmi out/dvi in while using the MacMini's USB out to a new Simaudio 750d, does that sound optimal to you guys, or is there a better way?

1.AsusROG750SSD/JRiver22>LightHarmonics-LightspeedUSB> PSAudioDSD+Huron/AnalysisPlus PowerOval10+ AnalysisPlus Solo Crystal In's >PASS Labs HPA-1 headphone amp-AnalysisPlus UltimatePowerCord/BlackDragonV2-AudezeLCD-X

Not planning on using a separate monitor - assuming I'm able (and I think I am), I plan on using the screen sharing functionality built in iOS and use my MacBook Pro.

Thanks!!

cg27288,

In addition to Paul and mav52's good counsel all of the software engineers who design the computer audio file players recommend that your music library be on a separate external HDD from the internal HDD/or SSD and connected to the music server for several good reasons. Secondly, backups are essential. You can read in one recent thread where a CA member by accident lost 60% of his library and with no backup.

I am purposefully not giving the reasons for a separate HDD. There are conventions recommended for the best performance including types of cable etc. I believe it serves your best interests to visit any or all of the various audio player software sites and read their recommendations for how to set up your system for maximum performance. Coming from me will be a satisfactory substitute though I do not begrudge you the information. I hope you follow my caveat. In any case, enjoy the music,

Richard