IGNORED

Amber Rubarth Binaural+ - Sessions from the 17th Ward

I just downloaded this new 24/192 Binaural+ album off of HD Tracks.

foobar2000 1.1.13 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1

log date: 2012-10-09 12:32:12

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Analyzed: Amber Rubarth / Sessions from the 17th Ward

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track

DR15 0.00 dB -20.77 dB 5:41 01-Hold On

DR11 -0.17 dB -15.63 dB 2:12 02-Don't You

DR16 0.00 dB -21.16 dB 1:17 03-Strive

DR14 -4.00 dB -23.13 dB 2:46 04-A Kiss to Build a Dream On

DR15 -0.25 dB -20.34 dB 2:05 05-Down Home

DR15 -0.44 dB -19.49 dB 4:57 06-Novocaine

DR13 -5.88 dB -23.76 dB 1:47 07-Darkest Dark, Brightest Bright

DR19 0.00 dB -22.84 dB 2:16 08-Tundra

DR15 0.00 dB -18.64 dB 3:20 09-Good Mystery

DR13 -6.78 dB -25.22 dB 5:05 10-Washing Day

DR16 -4.61 dB -26.65 dB 2:16 11-Sneak

DR14 -1.82 dB -22.14 dB 3:26 12-Full Moon in Paris

DR14 -4.64 dB -25.10 dB 3:58 13-Just Like a Woman

DR13 -7.12 dB -25.23 dB 3:39 14-Storms Are On the Ocean

Number of tracks: 14

Official DR value: DR14

Samplerate: 192000 Hz

Channels: 2

Bits per sample: 24

Bitrate: 5314 kbps

Codec: FLAC

================================================================================

I'm pretty sure there was no compressor used in this recording and it was direct from the binaural dummy head microphone which would explain the widely varying dynamic range between tracks.

Now for Frequency Plots of Track 11 "Sneak":

Amber Rubarth - Sneak 24-192.JPG

Amber Rubarth - Binaural+.JPG

On the first frequency plot you can see the microphones response is nearly 35Khz.

To the left of the second frequency plot you can see the rising frequency response and increased ultrasonic noise floor caused by post processing of the dummy head frequency rolloff.

To the right you can see the characteristic apodizing digital filter used in the MSB Studio ADC (I can recognize this response now as unique among ADCs used by studios)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Just downloaded this one. Audacity spectograms look great - true hi res content with plenty of dynamic range.

Sonically, this is a home run. This is among the very best recordings I've heard. Spacious, clear, and dynamic with a great sense of the hall space.

Musically, this is an artist I wasn't familiar with. But it's plenty good, especially if you're a folk fan. It reminds me of the intimate performances of shows produced by our local folk music society.

Highly recommended! Chesky done good with this one. Now, if we can just get them to hire a high school student to check their other titles with Audacity . . .

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

The Amber Rubarth an Wycliffe Gordon albums in the Chesky Records Binaural + series are some of the best performances in their genre whie at the same time exposing us to advancement in sould qualityqqq

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa

Maybe I am missing something, but in my near-field listening setup, all I heard was a mediocre recording with a lot of echo effects. Put on my headphones, and listened through to the end, and haven't had the desire to listen to it again. I love folk music, and I bought this based on this thread hoping to find a gem. I wasn't very impressed.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Maybe I am missing something, but in my near-field listening setup, all I heard was a mediocre recording with a lot of echo effects. Put on my headphones, and listened through to the end, and haven't had the desire to listen to it again. I love folk music, and I bought this based on this thread hoping to find a gem. I wasn't very impressed.

You hit it with your first words. Yes, you are missing something.

I love this recording, and the music also.

On the same Chesky Binaural series: "Explorations in Space and Time", the first one and also very good (for my taste). The sense of 'space' (wide, depth, height = 3D) in this recording is incredible, I feel like to be seated in the middle of the recording stage. Even if binaural is designed mostly to listen by headphones I enjoy it also with speakers.

Roch

You hit it with your first words. Yes, you are missing something.

Then it is nothing worth missing in my opinion. Listened to it again, and my opinion remains the same. I know it isn't my gear, as even listening to my work rig and B&W iems, I can readily hear Bowie standing behind me on Five Years (eerie the first time I heard it), and a much more natural sounding, yet 3D soundstage in Barry's Equinox.

I am glad people like it, but to me, it is nothing more than a gimmicky recording that attempts to create a 3D efffect, resulting in only something I can describe as very unmusical.

Roon Rock running on a Gen 7 i5, Akasa Plao X7 fanless case. Schiit Lyr 2, Schiit Bifrost upgraded with Uber Analog and USB Gen 2, Grado RS1s, ADAM A3x Nearfield Monitors.

Here's a picture of the "gimmicky" recording process in progress. Large venue, direct hi-res recording into two channels via mics in the dummy head. No processing applied. No wonder so many people find these Chesky recordings sound amazing. Sorry Garf, but Chesky knows good sound, whether it's binaural or regular stereo.

recording2.JPG

That picture tells it all. It sounds exactly like that, the music represented in a 4ft ball around my head. if you like that sort of thing, then by all means try it. I just thought I would offer a differing view of it, as the main reason I bought it was this thread praising the sound quality.

That picture tells it all. It sounds exactly like that, the music represented in a 4ft ball around my head. if you like that sort of thing, then by all means try it. I just thought I would offer a differing view of it, as the main reason I bought it was this thread praising the sound quality.

Well everyone has a different ear, different gear and different opinions. Too bad you aren't able to enjoy this. To me it is awesome. To me it is some of the most natural recordings I have heard. I love Bowie and Five Years is remarkable but these are two entirely different styles of recording and music and I can't see the comparison as apt.

"A mind is like a parachute. It doesn't work if it is not open."
Frank Zappa
I know it isn't my gear,

If this recording sounds mediocre thru' your system, I am *not* willing to trade systems with you!

Sorry if my earlier post led you to buy this recording. Yet another example of YMMV.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

Here are some descriptions of Chesky's binaural recordings:

SoundStage! Hi-Fi | SoundStageHiFi.com | Amber Rubarth and Wycliffe Gordon: Chesky

Chesky Goes Binaural | Stereophile.com

The making of "Dr Chesky's Sensational, Fantastic, and Simply Amazing Binaural Sound Show!" Page 2 | InnerFidelity

The last link includes a Youtube video of Chesky describing the recording process. He is in a large, empty recording hall and his voice *does* sound echo-ey thru' my computer speakers. On the Rubarth recording, however, it does *not* sound echo-ey. Instead, the recording conveys a sense of the hall space.

• 1 month later...

Based upon this thread I purchased the 192khz version of this album and have no regrets and I'd welcome more binaural offerings by Chesky or any other label for that matter. I certainly don't expect to like every binaural recording a label has to offer but I applaud Chesky's effort to make more binaural recordings available and I'll support that effort by purchasing those items enthusiastically recommended by other forum members.

Mac Mini, Audirvana Plus, Metrum Hex NOS DAC w/Upgraded USB Module-2, UpTone Regen Amber, Pass Labs INT-30A Amplifier, B&W 802 Diamond Speakers, Shotgun Bi-wire Kimber 4TC Cables. Headphone setup: Burson Soloist Amp, Audeze LCD-3 Headphones.