IGNORED

Kef x300a

Certainly look interesting ... appear to be based on the LS50 which have had great reviews.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Has anyone heard these at a show yet? From the looks of their website: Digital Music Solutions - X300A - Overview - KEF United States other models may be coming. I'd be interested to hear a desktop version with their 6-1/2 driver that may go a little deeper than these do. Price & features sure are attractive.

Bill

What makes a coincident speaker work so well is the stability of the high freq transducers waveguide which is in effect the midwoofer cone. If you ask for too much LF extension from the cone, you require increased excursion which is counterpoint the the design itself. If you want more bottom, look for a model that includes a dedicated woofer...or better yet...include a subwoofer or too.

If you want more bottom, look for a model that includes a dedicated woofer...or better yet...include a subwoofer or too.

That's the one design element I wish they would have accounted for here - the ability to add a sub, even as an optional element. You could do it yourself using the analog input, but that seems like a huge waste of the built-in DACs (each speaker has its own). As a desktop system, I get the limited frequency response, but that option would have been great. Yes, it would have required additional hardware elements inside the units, but they aren't exactly small - or cheap, so it seems like it could have been added. Maybe they'll do that in v2...

I'm nerdy in the extreme. I'm whiter than sour cream...

No doubt that the 5-1/4 driver likely has better mids and maybe even highs but having heard their passive version with 6-1/2 drivers I'd take the slight tradeoff for another 10-15Hz worth of bass extension, especially since this pair doesn't seem to be subwoofer friendly.

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

That's the one design element I wish they would have accounted for here - the ability to add a sub, even as an optional element. You could do it yourself using the analog input, but that seems like a huge waste of the built-in DACs (each speaker has its own). As a desktop system, I get the limited frequency response, but that option would have been great. Yes, it would have required additional hardware elements inside the units, but they aren't exactly small - or cheap, so it seems like it could have been added. Maybe they'll do that in v2...

What's interesting is that the page for the X300A is setup in such a way that it hints at a "range" of products so maybe there will be bigger models and perhaps subs to come in Q1 2013?

Bill

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.

Mac Mini->Roon + Tidal->KEF LS50W

What's interesting is that the page for the X300A is setup in such a way that it hints at a "range" of products so maybe there will be bigger models and perhaps subs to come in Q1 2013?

Bill

I saw the same and was wondering exactly that. Maybe a 2.1 variant is in the works.

Edit: Just looked through the other sections and the "Wireless Solutions" category, which also only has one product, also has that range tab. That product has been around for years so maybe the range tab is just part of the default menubar for the Series subsection of the website.

I'm nerdy in the extreme. I'm whiter than sour cream...