IGNORED

AppleTV 5.1 Software issues with Remote APP/Home Sharing

Ok- So yesterday I took delivery of three new Apple TV's to add in our showroom. We already use them in a few places for demo, makes a great content delivery system paired up with the remote app, have never had an issue with them.

Took ATV #1 out of the box, Configured it, did the software update. Started testing it, and every few songs the remote app loses connection to it. Sometimes it will fail to play a selection. Tried every configuration I could come up with, still no joy. Keeps losing connection to the remote app.

So this morning I took the new ATV #2 out of the box, did all the same setup, except I did not update the software. Finished the config, went to test, worked flawlessly. Just as good as the others in the showroom.

Took out ATV #1 again, did a restore and re-configured. Still bad.

I needed to get a conclusion, so I took ATV #2 which was working perfect, and did the software update. Upon completion, went to use, now it has the same problems as #1.

I have #3 sitting here, and I am going to get it out and not update it. I'm thinking I need to take #1 & 2 back to the Apple Store to exchange....

Anyone else have this issue? The other Apple TV's I have in the showroom have not been updated for some time so thats likely why they still work. I see this type of issue out there in some of the fourms, but no conclusive resluts or fixes.....

Thanks!

Tom

Two suggestions:

1. Make sure Remote.app is up to date.

2. You can install the previous version of the firmware using the same iTunes restore procedure. I think you have to hold down the option key or something, and it will allow you to select a previous version (assuming you have it on your machine, if not, you can usually find one somewhere with google).

This is truly a most aggravating thing, and I check you 100% on the nonsense going on. Been going on since iCloud came out.

Here is the trick I use to get around the nonsense-

• Turn off home sharing
  • Pair remote.app with the Mac or PC running iTunes
  • Using Remote.app, select desired ATV as output
  • Select movie/TV show etc. to play and start it up
  • ATV remote control works to stop, pause, restart, rewind and fast forward.

Works 100% of the time, though slightly less convienent. Home Sharing is the guilty culprit in this mess, at least, that's where my money is.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

Ok- I rolled back to 5.0.2 and its all working well now. We'll just ignore the updates for a while...

Here is a good site that has all the firmware revs:

iClarified - AppleTV - AppleTV Firmware Download Locations

On a Mac running iTunes you hook the Apple TV via USB and hold down the option button while clicking restore. It will bring up a finder window that you use to chose what file to restore to.

Thanks for the replies!

Tom