IGNORED

Mussorgsky Pictures at an exhibition?

Has anyone listened to this one yet? I really love Pictures at an Exhibition but wonder about this recording and performance

October 2, 2012, Naxos is releasing one of its featured recordings in a digital-only format. Conductor, arranger and composer Peter Breiner's new orchestrations of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Songs and Dances of Death, and The Nursery is available as MP3 and 24 bit/96 kHz High Definition Audio downloads on eClassical.com

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

Just got done listening to Breiner's Pictures...

Solid recording - picked it up on HDT for a couple bucks less than eClassical.

In terms of the new arrangement/performance - yuck! He seems to go for new orchestration just for the sake of new - most of his decisions don't make sense and frequently change mid-thought. Tempos are all over the map. Many lines are whooly created - not even in the original piano work. He's best in the big moments like Kiev, preferring a big, thick texture and sound over subtlety. It's a novelty to listen to once, but i would never listen to this performance again.

The other works on the disc fair MUCH better. Still don't agree with much of his orchestration choice, but they work for the most part (unlike Pictures).

Besides Ravel, I've heard a few other composers re-work Pictures. Breiners is the only one i would consider a complete fail.

Michael

ouch - thanks for the honest review

Do you have a favorite performance/recording of Pictures?

Dedicated 20A>>MacBook PRO Core i7>Decibel>Metric Halo LIO8(firewire) or Exasound e28(usb)>RedCo Mogami Multi Channel Snake Balanced Interconnect Cables via DB25 Neutrik Balanced Connectors 3 pin Male XLR-Blk/Gold or BJC RCA Cables

Dedicated 20A>>Dual APC LineVoltageRegulators 1200Wx2>>McCormack DNA 1 DLX mono blocks>Mogami W3104 bi-wire>Aerial 10T v2 Mounted to SoundAnchor Stands+Spikes

Separate 20A>>Dual HSU Research 10 inch Subwoofers

I had a preview listen on eClassical where you can listen to the whole if you want, in 30 second bites. Unfortunately I found it lumbering in tempo, and still preferred the Ravel orchestration, he was a brilliant orchestrator.

Indeed. The Reiner / Chicago Symphony performance from 1957 is considered by many as a definitive version. Both the XRCD and SHM-XRCD versions sound very, very nice, but both of these are out-of-print. It is available on a Living Stereo hybrid SACD, which has been said to sound quite good, but I have not heard it.

@integriscdp:

The most impressive I have is unfortunately far from audiophile: Julius Katchen's 1952 recording (this one usually one either loves or hates).

More mainstream, clear and extremely precise in his very personal style: Alfred Brendel on Philips (1996). This is usually coupled with a orchestral version played by André Previn (the latter is only so-so).

Finally: a rather special Russian touch with very nice energy: Evgeny Kissin on RCA.

@integriscdp:

The most impressive I have is unfortunately far from audiophile: Julius Katchen's 1952 recording (this one usually one either loves or hates).

More mainstream, clear and extremely precise in his very personal style: Alfred Brendel on Philips (1996). This is usually coupled with a orchestral version played by André Previn (the latter is only so-so).

Finally: a rather special Russian touch with very nice energy: Evgeny Kissin on RCA.

Speaking of a Russian (or, rather, Ukranian) touch, the almost ridiculously-legendary Sviatoslav Richter recital from Sophia (1958):

Amazon.com: Sviatoslav Richter: The Sofia Recital 1958: Modest Mussorgsky,Franz [Vienna] Schubert,Frederic Chopin,Franz Liszt,Sergey Rachmaninov,Sviatoslav Richter: Music

Decidedly *not* audiophile, but a remarkable performance, nonetheless.

John Walker - IT Executive

Headphone - SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable Ethernet > mRendu Roon endpoint > Topping D90 > Topping A90d > Dan Clark Expanse / HiFiMan H6SE v2 / HiFiman Arya Stealth

Home Theater / Music -SonicTransporter i9 running Roon Server > Netgear Orbi > Blue Jeans Cable HDMI > Denon X3700h > Anthem Amp for front channels > Revel F208-based 5.2.4 Atmos speaker system

Just this last week the CO Springs Philharmonic did "Pictures.." as a "Beyond The Score" performance where the first half of the evening was a multimedia event with live narration of the story behind the piece. There were plenty of Russian and French visuals plus images of the score as well as Hartman, Mussorgsky, Ravel, Rimsky-Korsakov. The orchestra would play short bits that were being discussed as well as live comparison of the piano score vs. the orchestral. Then after intermission the orchestra played the whole piece start to finish. The sold-out crowd loved it!

Any way I was inspired to get a piano version and settled on the Chandos release "Piano Works by the Mighty Handful", pianist Philip Edward Fisher, 24-bit. Played it on my new SotM server and was VERY pleased. Got it at eClassical.

I have a few versions. Riccardo Muti with the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1992 is a pretty good one. It's paired with "Night on Bare Mountain"

I also have Zubin Mehta with the Los Angeles Philharmonic from 1967 which I like better, but I think it is out of print. It's paired with the piano solo version, played by Vladimir Ashkenazy.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

For those still brave enough to try it out (I was until I read brucknerdoc's review :) ), this new recording is now available on Qobuz for only 8.99 Euros (about $11.70).

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

October 2, 2012, Naxos is releasing one of its featured recordings in a digital-only format. Conductor, arranger and composer Peter Breiner's new orchestrations of Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition, Songs and Dances of Death, and The Nursery is available as MP3 and 24 bit/96 kHz High Definition Audio downloads on eClassical.com

Maybe it's my bias as a Frenchman, but trying to beat Ravel at orchestration sounds like hubris to me.