IGNORED

Beethoven: Missa Solemnis - Klemperer (EMI)

Another in the laudable series of EMI 96/24 remasters of its older catalog material. This is a 1965 recording with Otto Klemperer, the New Philharmonia Orchestra, and various soloists. Downloaded from HDtracks. Perhaps not quite as 'classic' a recording as his Brahms German Requiem is, it's nevertheless very worthy. The graphs look good!

Russell

BeethovenMissa-FreqAnl.png

BeethovenMissa-Waveform.png

BeethovenMissa-Spectrum.png

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3

Well, despite the excellence of the graphs, the proof of the pudding's still in the listening, and in this case, the graphs don't tell the whole story. The sound of this album, I'm afraid, is sub-par, although it's probably as good as we're going to get from the master tapes. I would say that it's somewhat typical of what the record labels were producing in the mid-60's, i.e., during the transition from tubed to solid-state recording equipment: a bit bass-shy and lacking in warmth, coupled with a somewhat coarse top end. Definitely a cut below Klemperer's 'German Requiem' done a few years earlier (also available on HDtracks in 96/24). I haven't heard my GROC RBCD in quite a while, but I suspect it would sound about the same, if not worse. Still, the performance is strong and fervent from Klemperer and his forces; just don't expect any sonic miracles here.

Russell

MacBook Pro 2021 16” (M1 Pro, 16MB RAM, macOS Ventura) > Audirvana Origin > Pangea Audio USB-AG > Sony TA-ZH1ES > Nordost Heimdall 2 > Audeze LCD-3